[net.analog] Selling Energy to the Utilities

eklhad@ihnet.UUCP (K. A. Dahlke) (08/26/85)

A recent lunchtime discussion centered around the energy consumption of Fermi
Labs (a nearby facility).  Recall that AT&T typically hires
many physicists, as government funding waxes and wanes.
Well anyways, they were "harking" (I love that word) back to the days preceding
superconducting magnets, when energy consumption was enormous.
Once these magnets were installed, a general question was raised.
Can we put power back onto the grid, and get a fair rebate.
The ruling (after all, Com Ed is a regulated utility) was "yes".
It probably isn't dollar for dollar, since Com Ed must pay the I*I*R losses,
but you *can* get credit for putting energy back.  Anybody know how much?

Since I have only had a few basic EE courses,
I don't understand *how* you put power onto the grid.
What is the mechanism?  If I drive a generator (e.g. wind powered),
I would have to be damn careful, if I planned to simply plug the thing into
the wall, wouldn't I?  Voltage sources in parallel have to be exactly equal,
in phase and amplitude, else you produce a virtual short circuit.
How does a homeowner do it?

How would they measure it, a separate meter?
This seems necessary if they buy and sell at different rates.

How does Fermi Labs put their I*I*L energy back onto the grid?
You have to keep the current flowing in those magnets,
from start to finish, while absorbing and releasing the energy.

Sometimes the commercials talk about Com Ed's 6 generators,
all running concurrently, to provide reliability.
They *must* be (essentially) in parallel.
How do you match phase and amplitude in all of them.
When one fails, do circuit breakers take it out of the system?
Now that I have demonstrated my complete ignorance concerning
commercial power distribution systems ... any responses welcome.
--
	This .signature file intentionally left blank.
		Karl Dahlke    ihnp4!ihnet!eklhad

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (08/27/85)

To feed power into the utility grid, your generator must be synchronous
with the grid's frequency, but leading slightly in phase. You control
how much power you put into the network by changing the phase difference.
If you match it exactly, no power will flow at all, and if you lag the
grid's phase, you will draw power from it instead.

Here's a mechanical analog that might help to visualize this. Imagine your
AC wall outlet as a steel shaft rotating at 3600 RPM (60 revolutions/sec).
No matter what you connect to this shaft, you cannot change the speed at
which it turns (unless you exceed its breaking strength, at which it stops!)
but you can still take power out or put it in.

If you connect a gasoline engine to the wall shaft through a stiff rubber
coupling, it will turn even without fuel except that you'll be drawing power
from the outside to do this, and the rubber coupling will twist such that
the engine shaft phase lags the "line" phase. Now feed some gas into the
engine and open the throttle slightly. If you give it exactly enough gas to
overcome engine friction while operating at 3600 RPM, the rubber coupling
will not be twisted in either direction and no power will flow across it.

If you now open the throttle further, the engine will attempt to drive the
outside shaft. The engine will now lead the drive shaft's phase, twisting
the rubber coupling in the other direction.  The amount of this phase
difference is proportional to the amount of power being fed into the outside
network. Notice that during all of this the engine has been running at
constant speed; only its phase relationship with the outside has changed.

This model works well as long as your generator is tiny in comparison with
the others feeding the grid (valid for home windmills and the like).
However, I suspect that things get tricky when dealing with the output of a
GW nuclear plant, and I understand that sudden and large power flows can
occur when things like blackouts and plant trips occur. One of the
advantages of DC power transmission is supposed to be greatly increased
control over power flows.

Phil

> ...I don't understand *how* you put power onto the grid.
> What is the mechanism?  If I drive a generator (e.g. wind powered),
> I would have to be damn careful, if I planned to simply plug the thing into
> the wall, wouldn't I?  Voltage sources in parallel have to be exactly equal,
> in phase and amplitude, else you produce a virtual short circuit.
> How does a homeowner do it?

Remember that most generators will also run as motors.  If your generator
is out of phase with the grid, the grid will drive your generator back
into sync.  Think of it as pushing on a crank attached to a huge, very
massive spinning flywheel -- you will add energy, but you will not change
the rotation rate noticeably, and either you start out in phase with it or
it will drag you into phase.  Of course, if you're too far off to begin
with, it may break your arms doing this, so it's advisable to get things
pretty close first.

The power company often also wants to install some sort of special gadget
at the interface, partly because when they take a power line down for
maintenance they want to make sure it is really 100% dead.

> How would they measure it, a separate meter?
> This seems necessary if they buy and sell at different rates.

Yup.  Although it may be possible to build a meter that would run at
different rates forward and backward.

> Sometimes the commercials talk about Com Ed's 6 generators,
> all running concurrently, to provide reliability.
> They *must* be (essentially) in parallel.
> How do you match phase and amplitude in all of them.

A combination of careful synchronization plus the generator-as-motor effect.

> When one fails, do circuit breakers take it out of the system?

Yup.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

schwrtze@csd2.UUCP (Eric Schwartz group) (08/28/85)

As I understand it: Brookhaven uses the collapsing magnetic fields in magnets
to drive a flywhell that stores the energy till the next pulse. You then
have no hassles with 'lilco' save for not running during the summer and
turning off during peak power periods. I wonder how efficient this method
is.

	Hedley Rainnie.

control@almsa-1 (William Martin) (08/29/85)

The PBS TV show "This Old House" has several times shown the innards of
solar-power home installations that sell the excess power back to the
utility. They have a panel of circuitry interfacing the two systems, and
usually two meters, one reading what was bought from the utility, and the
other showing what was sold back. There is a "black box" (actually in
grey electrical cabinetry :-) that does the phase matching between the
two. (The solar systems produce DC, of course, and it is converted to AC
before feeding into this load-balancing and distribution network.)

Will

jb@rti-sel.UUCP (Jeff Bartlett) (08/30/85)

> As I understand it: Brookhaven uses the collapsing magnetic fields in magnets
> to drive a flywhell that stores the energy till the next pulse. You then
> have no hassles with 'lilco' save for not running during the summer and
> turning off during peak power periods. I wonder how efficient this method
> is.
> 	Hedley Rainnie.

I remember from somewhere that the water valves on a large hydro project (>10ft)
would affect the utilities such that they had to buffer the energy.

Motor/generator/flywheel sets would slowly be brought up to speed then
the energy was dumped into the vane control motors.

This would distribute the power demand spike over time.

Jeff Bartlett
Research Triangle Institute
mcnc!rti-sel!jb

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (09/04/85)

	While I'm far from an expert in the field of power generation and
transmission, I once took a course on it.  The professor explained a method
used to make sure a generator was in phase before bringing it on-line.

	First, get your generator running as close to line frequency as you
can with mechanical speed control.  Once you have it matched to within a
few cycles per minute, you take a standard light bulb and attach one side
to the power grid and the other side to your generator (after appropriate
step-down, of course!).  As the two sources drift in phase, the bulb gets
brighter and dimmer (it sees the beat frequency of the two sources).  When
the bulb goes out, you throw the switch to connect your machine to the
grid (and cross your fingers and/or hide someplace far away).

	Of course, he may have been spicing the story up a bit (I'm sure
they use something fancier than a light bulb to measure phase difference),
but the basic idea is right.

	Looking inside a synchronous generator (or a synchronous motor --
they are identical), you see a rotating magnetic field produced by the stator
and another by the rotor.  Call them B1 and B2.  The fields are rotating at
the same speed (at least when things are working right), but there is a
phase difference, phi, between them.  If you have two magnetic fields
(rotating or stationary, it makes no difference) which are out of alignment
by an angle phi, they exert a torque B1*B2*sin(phi) which tries to
re-align them.

	If the machine is motoring, that is the torque exerted by the shaft
which you can use to do mechanical work.  If the machine is generating,
that is the torque you are exerting on the shaft to turn it.

	Notice that this only works if the rotational speed of the two
fields is the same; there can only exist a phase difference, but no overall
frequency difference (I guess this is an electro-mechanical phase-locked
loop).  Also notice that the torque is 0 when phi is 0: when the fields are
perfectly aligned you get no torque and hence no work.  If phi is negative,
you get negative (mechanical) work out of the machine (i.e. a generator).
If phi is positive, you get positive (mechanical) work out (i.e. a motor).
The mechanical work into the shaft plus the electrical work into the
terminals sum to zero (modulo friction and other losses).

	Even more important is that the torque is at a maximum when phi is
90 degrees.  Past that point, the torque decreases and you go out of sync
(A Bad Thing).  You keep driving your shaft harder and harder; the lag
angle increases, and you pump more and more power into the power grid.  If
you keep increasing the torque with which you drive the shaft, eventually
you will exceed the magic phi = 90 degree point and loose sync.  If your
machine is small enough, it will just sit there and vibrate.

	To see what I mean, take a small synchronous motor and run it with
no load.  Then (carefully) grab the shaft with a pliers.  As you apply more
pressure with the pliers, the shaft shouldn't slow down, but inside the
motor, phi is increasing.  At the magic point, the shaft will all of a
sudden stop and just wiggle.  If the motor is big enough, it will tear
itself (and you) apart violently, so you probably don't want to do this
with anything bigger than a phonograph motor.  Most typical motors you find
will probably be induction motors, but you can get sort of the same effect
if you clamp the shaft before starting it up.

	Well, I hope I've given a bit of insight to the problem.  I should
add, however, that analyzing the transient behavior of synchronous machines
under sudden changes in load is, as they say, non-trivial.
--
Roy Smith <allegra!phri!roy>
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

smh@mit-eddie.UUCP (Steven M. Haflich) (09/05/85)

In article <442@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>	First, get your generator running as close to line frequency as you
>can with mechanical speed control.  Once you have it matched to within a
>few cycles per minute, you take a standard light bulb and attach one side
>to the power grid and the other side to your generator (after appropriate
>step-down, of course!).  As the two sources drift in phase, the bulb gets
>brighter and dimmer (it sees the beat frequency of the two sources).  When
>the bulb goes out, you throw the switch to connect your machine to the
>grid (and cross your fingers and/or hide someplace far away).

About 25 years ago I was fortunate enough to witness the local electric
power company prepare for the evening load by bringing online to the
power grid an additional generator -- a steam-driven armature the size
of a small building, spinning at 60Hz.  (Generators are not normally
spun down when offline because it takes days for their bearings to reach
operating temperature, and to cool during careful spindown.)  When
offline, the generator spins free at approximately 60Hz, and bringing it
online requires synchronizing its rotation with the grid.  The
monitoring devices was a simple lightbulb connected between the grid and
the generator, along with a nifty rotating arrow to indicate phase angle
and looking for all the world like something from a 1930's Frankenstein
set.  (Remember, this particular generator was an already considered
aged when I saw it sometime in the 1950's.)

The single operator carefully adjusted a servo controlling the steam
valve for the turbine, finally getting the generator within about .5Hz,
with the arrow rotating and the light varying along with the phase
error.  The generator was then `cut in' with remote control switches
which connect it's output to the grid.  His art consisted of
compensating for the delay of the large mechanical switch mechanism -- a
significant fraction of a second -- so that connection would be made at
nearly zero phase difference.

He explained that the generator must be riunning at nearly the correct
speed, or else the mechanical impulse of the sudden speed change could
destroy it machanically.  The generator must also be cut in at
approximately zero phase, or else the sudden electrical surge from the
phase angle difference could destroy it (and/or the swtches)
electrically.

Remember, large generators are measured in megawatts and tens on tons.
On the whole, I'm glad I have a job where I can recompile after a
careless mistake :-).

mueller@hpisla.UUCP (Joe Mueller) (09/19/85)

This is all vaguely reminiscent of an oil well I saw in OK. Once.  The
thing was driven off of an electric motor.
As the shaft was slowly raised by the motor, you could see the dial on the
power meter spinning away. Then as the shaft was lowered, the dial took
a brief step backwards! I suppose this is indicative of insufficient
counter-weighting, but a rather amusing phenomenon.

Joe Mueller
Hewlett-Packard
Instrument Systems Lab.
Loveland CO.