[net.analog] filter circuit Q

chris@ICO.UUCP (12/17/85)

There is a question that has been puzzling me
about filter circuits that i was hoping someone
could explain to me. In physics they talked about the
"Q" of a mechanical circuit, which was a measure of its
ability to reject off resonant frequency signals. I see
how an LC circuit forms a filter, but i don't see how to
change the Q of the circuit. Anybody have an explanation
for me?

		Thanks in advance
		chris
		Chris Kostanick
		hao!ico!chris
		ucbvax!ucla-cs!ism780!ico!chris

sgcpal@watdcsu.UUCP (P.A. Layman [EE-Silcon Devices Research]) (12/18/85)

In article <35500001@ICO.UUCP> chris@ICO.UUCP writes:

>There is a question that has been puzzling me
>about filter circuits that i was hoping someone
>could explain to me. In physics they talked about the
>"Q" of a mechanical circuit, which was a measure of its
>ability to reject off resonant frequency signals. I see
>how an LC circuit forms a filter, but i don't see how to
>change the Q of the circuit. Anybody have an explanation
>for me?

Essentially and L-C  resonant circuit will be driven by a circuit
with some finite output resistance. Thus,

	Z = R + j( wL - 1/wC ) ,

or
			  2
	Z = R + j( wL - w  L/w ),
	     o           o
and Q is defined as,

	Q = w L/R
w  is the resonant frequency, and R  is the effective resistance at
 o				   o
resonance. Note this definition also applies for an inductance which
includes a parasitic resistance R.  Note also that for parallel resonance
the w term appears in the denominator.

	Z = R  ( R/R   + jQ ( w/w  - w /w ) )
	     o	    o            o    o

Clearly if the half power points occur at w1 and w2,

	Q = w  /(w1-w2)

Paul A. Layman

University of Waterloo, Electrical Engineering,
Silicon Devices and Integrated Circuits Research Group (SiDIC)

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!watdcsu!sgcpal

don@umd5.UUCP (12/18/85)

> There is a question that has been puzzling me
> about filter circuits that i was hoping someone
> could explain to me. In physics they talked about the
> "Q" of a mechanical circuit, which was a measure of its
> ability to reject off resonant frequency signals. I see
> how an LC circuit forms a filter, but i don't see how to
> change the Q of the circuit. Anybody have an explanation
> for me?

There's two "flavors" of Q: Loaded and Unloaded.

Unloaded Q is determined by the series resistance present in both
inductors and capacitors. This series resistance dissipates energy
in the circuit, and affects the "sharpness" of the response peak of
a resonant LC circuit.
   "Most diagrams of resonant circuits show only inductance and
capacitance; no resistance is indicated. Nevertheless, resistance is
always present. At frequencies up to about 30 MHz this resistance is
mostly in the wire of the coil. At higher frequencies energy loss in
the capacitor also becomes a factor. *This energy loss is equivalent
to resistance* [emphasis mine]. When maximum sharpness or selectivity
is needed, the objective of design is to reduce the inherent resistance
to the lowest possible value. The value of the reactance of either the
inductor or capacitor at the resonant frequency of a series-resonant
circuit, divided by the series resistance in the circuit, is called
the Q (quality factor) of the circuit, or:  _Q= X/R_  where:
Q= quality factor
X= reactance in ohms of either the inductor or capacitor
R= series resistance in ohms"                                            (1)
   Q can be used to determine the voltage across the LC circuit:
_V= Q*E_  where: E= the voltage being applied to the circuit.
   _Loaded_ Q:
   "However, when the circuit delivers energy to a load (as in the case
of the resonant circuits used in transmitters) the energy consumed in the
circuit itself is negligible compared with that consumed by the load."
"The Q of a parallel resonant circuit loaded by a resistive impedance is:
  _Q= R/X_  where:
R= parallel load resistance in ohms
X= reactance in ohms." "The effective Q of a circuit loaded by a parallel
resistance becomes higher when the reactances are decreased. A circuit
loaded with a relatively low resistance (a few thousand ohms [!!!]) must
have low-reactance elements (large capacitance and small inductance) to
have a reasonably high Q."                                               (2)

(50/75 ohms is relatively low to me !)
I hope this answers your question(s) completely ...
---
(1) & (2) _The ARRL Handbook for the Radio Amateur_ pps. 2-32 & 2-34
reprinted and edited somewhat without permission...

--
--==---==---==--
"What happened ?"

  ARPA: umd5!don@maryland.ARPA, don%umd5@umd2.ARPA
BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
  UUCP: ..!{ seismo!umcp-cs, ihnp4!rlgvax }!cvl!umd5!don

sandler@utcsri.UUCP (Howard Sandler) (12/18/85)

The Q of a simple LC filter (2nd order) is adjustable independent of the
natural frequency by varying the damping resistor.  Without the resistor,
the Q is (theoretically) infinite.

                                   Howard M. Sandler
                                   Dept. of EE
                                   University of Toronto

rickk@hpvcla.UUCP (rickk) (12/20/85)

  The "Q" (quality) of a filter is defined as:

     omega * L         1                                          1
Q =  ---------  =  ---------   ;      omega= resonant freq =  ---------
         R         omega*R*C                                  sqrt(L*C)

It is a measure of the bandwidth of the filter in that the higher the "Q",
the smaller the bandwidth.  To vary the "Q" of a circuit, you just need to
manipulate the terms in the above expression.  The most obvious way to increase
"Q" is to reduce the circuit resistance.  However it can also be varied by
increasing L and decreasing C to give the proper omega and at the same time
increasing "Q".  Note however, that larger inductors usually have larger
resistances, so "Q" in a real circuit will not necessarily increase in the
second instance.

Rick "I really are a digidul n-gineer" Klaus @ hpvcla!rickk