[net.analog] Adding Video Input ...really xfrmrs and Radio Shack names

jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (12/04/85)

A minor point:

In article <610@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:

>If the load draws a net DC current from the line this magnetically biases the
>core, which will even further drag down the efficiency of a garden-variety
>"filament" (or similar) transformer.

Unless there's a special purpose circuit in a TV which I'm not aware of,
it's pretty unlikely that there will be a net DC current drawn from
the line. And all transformers show the same effect to some degree, not
just cheapo RS ones.

An earlier part of this article added yet a new name for RS to my
vocabulary. I wonder how many there are? I've heard:

Radio Shock
Radio Shuck
Radio Shaft
Radio S**t
Rat Shack (from a former manager of one)

    and probably others I've forgotten. Oh well, they're handy, anyway.

				don't laugh too hard...
					Jeff Winslow

scw@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/24/85)

In article <63@midas.UUCP> jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) writes:
>A minor[...] part of this article added yet a new name for RS to my
>vocabulary. I wonder how many there are? I've heard:
>
>Radio Shock
>Radio Shuck
>Radio Shaft
>Radio S**t
>Rat Shack (from a former manager of one)

Not to forget:
Radio Schlock ({Yiddish} cheap, or shoddy [note that many RS items are quite
well made, but their cheap stuff is just that])