[net.analog] What's so great about CD roms.

williams@kirk.DEC (John Williams 223-3402) (01/30/86)

	CD roms will be capable of storing 2-3 orders of magnitude more
data/area. The traditional density limitations don't apply to laser.
Theoretically, you could build a drive that is diffraction limited.
Grollier's is going to be manufacturing a CD encyclopedia. Perhaps
this will give you an idea of how much one of these can store. The most
practical application is for reference databases.

						John.

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (01/31/86)

According to a recent article in MacWorld, you can now buy the catalog
of the Library of Congress on a CD-ROM.  Of course, the LC has a BIG
catalog.

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (02/01/86)

Actually, you can't exactly BUY the Library of Congress index on CD,
but you can SUBSCRIBE to it on a (I think) quarterly basis.  However,
it ain't cheap.

--Lauren--

In article <1667@utah-gr.UUCP> thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:
>According to a recent article in MacWorld, you can now buy the catalog
>of the Library of Congress on a CD-ROM.  Of course, the LC has a BIG
>catalog.
>
>--
>=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

When you can get the entire library on CD's, let me know.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa