[net.analog] Spoofing traffic signals

parnass@ihu1h.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (05/10/86)

		    Spoofing Traffic Lights

   Here's the scenario:

     I'm stopped at an intersection, waiting for  the  light
     to	 turn green. No	one else is around.  The light seems
     to	be red for an eternity,	but there's no traffic.

   I back my truck up a	few feet, off the sensor loop buried
   in  the  roadway,  then  drive  back	 over the loop a few
   times.  This	will usually cause  the	 traffic  signal  to
   become green.
Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihu1h!parnass - (312)979-5414

jimb@drutx.UUCP (Jim Bryant) (05/10/86)

In article <840@ihu1h.UUCP> parnass@ihu1h.UUCP writes:
>    Here's the scenario:
>    I'm stopped at an intersection, waiting for  the  light
>    to turn green. No one else is around.  The light seems
>    to be red for an eternity, but there's no traffic.
>    I back my truck up a few feet, off the sensor loop buried
>    in  the  roadway,  then  drive  back  over the loop a few
>    times.  This will usually cause  the  traffic  signal  to
>    become green.

if there's no traffic, i just go on through :-)

at&t information systems/denver colorado/jim bryant - k6
...!{ihnp4,ulysses,mtuxo,pegasus,whuxl}!drutx!jimb
--
le mieux est souvent l'ennemi du bien

jawa@ihuxl.UUCP (James A. Wadas) (05/12/86)

> 		    Spoofing Traffic Lights
>
>    Here's the scenario:
>
>      I'm stopped at an intersection, waiting for  the  light
>      to	 turn green. No	one else is around.  The light seems
>      to	be red for an eternity,	but there's no traffic.
>
>    I back my truck up a	few feet, off the sensor loop buried
>    in  the  roadway,  then  drive  back	 over the loop a few
>    times.  This	will usually cause  the	 traffic  signal  to
>    become green.
> --
> Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihu1h!parnass - (312)979-5414

Photovoltaic cells sometimes react when you "flash your brights"
on an upcoming traffic signal so equipped.  Deserted intersections
at twilight provide the best conditions for this phenomenon.
--
James Wadas @ AT&T Bell Laboratories -- Naperville, Illinois
(312) 979-0240 ...!ihnp4!ihuxl!jawa

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (05/14/86)

In article <840@ihu1h.UUCP> parnass@ihu1h.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) writes:
>		    Spoofing Traffic Lights
>
>   Here's the scenario:
>
>     I'm stopped at an intersection, waiting for  the  light
>     to	 turn green. No	one else is around.  The light seems
>     to	be red for an eternity,	but there's no traffic.
>
>   I back my truck up a	few feet, off the sensor loop buried
>   in  the  roadway,  then  drive  back	 over the loop a few
>   times.  This	will usually cause  the	 traffic  signal  to
>   become green.
I use this trick all the time. It works most of the time - especially
in a left turn lane. I think it is technically illegal to back
up in a traffic lane, however.
--
John Moore (NJ7E/XE1HDO)
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!john

The opinions expressed here are obviously not mine, so they must be
someone else's.

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (05/15/86)

> Photovoltaic cells sometimes react when you "flash your brights"
> on an upcoming traffic signal so equipped.  Deserted intersections
> at twilight provide the best conditions for this phenomenon.
> James Wadas @ AT&T Bell Laboratories -- Naperville, Illinois

Yes and some have photovoltaics "tuned" to the stroboscopic frequency
of emergency vehicles. This allows the light in front of a fire truck
to change for it, thus speeding up response time.

--Chuck
--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

bill@hp-pcd.UUCP (bill) (05/15/86)

OK, so setting traffic lights aside, can you tell me how to trigger
a railroad crossing?  A friend of mine claims that he once did it by
shorting the two rails together near the crossing with a piece of heavy
wire ...

                                                       fr
                                                     l fro
                                                    ll frol
                                                   ill froli
                                                  bill frolik
                                                      cd!
                                                     pcd!b
                                                    -pcd!bi
                                                   p-pcd!bil
                                                  hp-pcd!bill

saba@ihlpl.UUCP (Sabalaskey) (05/19/86)

> OK, so setting traffic lights aside, can you tell me how to trigger
> a railroad crossing?  A friend of mine claims that he once did it by
> shorting the two rails together near the crossing with a piece of heavy
> wire ...

Yes, this works fine. The wheels of the train short the two rails
together and cuase the gates/lights to operate. You dont even need
a heavy wire, a plain lamp cord (18 guage) will do fine.

PS: I found this out at about when I was 12 years old while I was
learning about elctrical theory. I always did wonder how the gates
knew that the train was coming. I reaked havoc for I while when I
found out how to bring the gates down without having a train go by
(until the neighbors saw me, that is!!!!)

Bruce Sabalaskey
ihnp4!ihlpl!saba

In article <37700004@hpcvlo.UUCP>, bill@hp-pcd.UUCP (bill) writes:

> OK, so setting traffic lights aside, can you tell me how to trigger
> a railroad crossing?  A friend of mine claims that he once did it by
> shorting the two rails together near the crossing with a piece of heavy
> wire ...

	Yup, that will trigger the railroad crossing signal.  It requires
a fairly low resistance path (i.e., a good connection) to trigger a track
signal, since the signal must be immune to wet weather conduction, and the
track relay is therefore not very sensitive.
	I wouldn't recommend making a habit of doing this, since it might
be a bit upsetting to the railroad, as the signal operation might be
interpreted as a "train" in the particular block of track.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
==>  UUCP  {bbncca|decvax|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
==>  VOICE   716/688-1231                {rice|shell}!baylor!/
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}        seismo!/
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"             ihnp4!/

> OK, so setting traffic lights aside, can you tell me how to trigger
> a railroad crossing?  A friend of mine claims that he once did it by
> shorting the two rails together near the crossing with a piece of heavy
> wire ...

Sounds plausible.  The way a train makes itself known to railroad switching
systems is that its wheels and axles constitute a short between the two
rails.  Note that triggering railroad crossing lights and gates is not the
full extent of the effect, since it will show up as a phantom train for
signalling and control purposes as well.  I suspect the railroad would
not be amused, especially if another train had to make a panic stop because
the control system suddenly "saw" a "train" in the section ahead of it.
--
Join STRAW: the Society To	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
Revile Ada Wholeheartedly	{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

todd@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Hisashi Todd Fujinaka) (05/21/86)

I just wanted to point out that it is VERY ILLEGAL to mess with RR
crossing signals.  It is done by shorting out the tracks, and there
are several insulated sections of track on each side of the crossing
so the signal can tell which way the train is going, if the train is
stopped near the crossing, etc.  It varies from crossing to crossing,
but the standard crossing does have some RRL (relay to relay logic
:->) to tell which way the train is going.

On the illegality note, remember if you screw it up and people die,
you've just committed MURDER.  Trains are big and fast and kill
people.  Actually, trains don't kill people: people kill people.
Enough of that.

Todd