Date: Fri, 20 Jul 84 11:19:47 PDT
From: Deutsch.pa@Xerox.Arpa
Subject: Re: "Smalltalk Coming to Micros!" IT IS TRUE

The POPL presentation was by Nori Suzuki, a University of Tokyo
faculty member.  He is designing a special-purpose Smalltalk processor,
and also doing a MC68000 implementation.  He has ties with one of the
Japanese manufacturers, but I think he is mainly interested in
getting his chip built.  I have also heard through the grapevine that a
Japanese manufacturer is interested in a high-end portable with Smalltalk,
also based on the MC68000.  (I believe the Japanese have evaluated the
MC68000 and iAPX x86 architectures and come to the same conclusion I did,
namely that the Intel chips have such a shortage of registers and such
dreadful facilities for addressing flat spaces larger than 64K bytes that
despite their greater speed and popularity they are substantially
inferior Smalltalk engines.)