[net.lang.st80] Winkler's "assertions" about Apple Smalltalk

mark@apple.UUCP (Mark Lentczner) (03/08/85)

-=-
Contrary to Mr. Winkler's previous assertion in this space, Apple's
previous non-release of Smalltalk had nothing to do with speed.
A quick glance at the Orange book pp.165-171 will tell you that
(Apple's original Lisa implmentation is column H, Berkely BS is column
D for a comparision...)

The Orange Book, for those of you who don't know, is one of the
Smalltlak-80 series published by Addision-Wesley (which perhaps Mr.
Winkler should read, along with the whole Smalltalk series to find
answers to his questions)

-mark
 "These are my views, not my employers..."

yee@ucbvax.ARPA (Peter E. Yee) (03/09/85)

In article <29400@apple.UUCP> mark@apple.UUCP (Mark Lentczner) writes:
>A quick glance at the Orange book pp.165-171 will tell you that
>(Apple's original Lisa implmentation is column H, Berkely BS is column
>D for a comparision...)
>
>The Orange Book, for those of you who don't know, is one of the
>Smalltlak-80 series published by Addision-Wesley (which perhaps Mr.
>Winkler should read, along with the whole Smalltalk series to find
>answers to his questions)
>
>-mark

I believe you mean the Green Book.  The Orange Book is Smalltalk-80:
The Interactive Programming Environment.  The Green Book is Smalltalk-80:
Bits of History, Words of Advice, and the article that Mr. Lentczner is
trying to direct your attention to is "The Smalltalk-80 Benchmarks" by
Kim McCall of the SCG, Xerox PARC.

					-Peter Yee
					..ucbvax!yee
					yee@Berkeley.ARPA