[net.lang.st80] using the user interface

ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) (10/07/85)

Does anyone have details on how to use the following classes of Smalltalk in
order to build a nice Macintosh-like user interface?
     Dispatcher
     Menu
     Pane
    Subpane
    Textpane
I am especially interested in a convenient way to allow the user to input text
based on a prompt from the application.  Thus I suppose one needs the Prompter
class as well.
    I know there is supposed to be a fourth book from Addison-Wesley on
implementing user interfaces, but none of the book stores around here sell it or
know how to get it.
      Thanks in advance.

johnson@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/12/85)

/* Written  6:54 am  Oct  7, 1985 by ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP in net.lang.st80 */
Does anyone have details on how to use the following classes of Smalltalk in
order to build a nice Macintosh-like user interface?
     Dispatcher
     Menu
     Pane
    Subpane
    Textpane

/* End of text from uiucdcsp:net.lang.st80 */

What version of Smalltalk do you have?  None of these are in the one I
use, which is version 2 (using the bs interpreter on Suns).  The version
I've seen has View, TextView, ListView, etc. and Controller, TextController,
ListController, etc.  I learned to use them by reading the source code.
The fourth book (on the user interface) has never come out.

What's this about building a Mac-like interface?  Smalltalk already HAS a
Mac-like interface!  More precisely, the Mac has a Smalltalk-like interface.
Are you using Smalltalk-80, or something else?

Ralph Johnson

putnam@steinmetz.UUCP (jefu) (10/14/85)

In article <147@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) writes:
>    I know there is supposed to be a fourth book from Addison-Wesley on
>implementing user interfaces, but none of the book stores around here sell it or
>know how to get it.

I talked to Addison-Wesley last week about the 4th book.  Publication has
been indefinitely delayed.

So...

Help!

I would like (as an excercise, and experiment in prototyping) to implement
a terminal emulation window thingamabob in Smalltalk.  So far, what i have
manages to crash Smalltalk every time i try to close the durn thing.  And
_all_ that i have is a small model-view-controller triad.

--
               O                   -- jefu
       tell me all about           -- UUCP: {rochester,edison}!steinmetz!putnam