[net.lang.st80] Help with SmallTalk on Mac Plus

barad@brand.UUCP (Herb Barad) (03/05/86)

I would like to know if anyone has been using Apple's SmallTalk on a
Mac Plus.  Supposedly, you can get the yellow button and blue button
menus (within the window) by holding down the Option and Enter keys,
respectively.  I have tried this, the yellow button menu comes up
fine.  However, I can never get the blue button menu to come up.  Of
course, I could always get the blue button menu from the label of the
view, but sometimes (e.g. FormEditor "full screen size") it is not
available.  SmallTalk (level 1) seems to think that pressing the Enter
key is the same as pressing a "4"!  Why is this?  In any case, I would
like to be able to fix this.  Also, instead of binding the blue menu
key to the "Enter" key, I would rather have it on the "Command" key.

					Help!!!

--
Herb Barad	[USC - Signal and Image Processing Institute]

USENET:

...!sdcrdcf!oberon!brand!barad				or
...!{lbl-csam|trwrb|trwspp}!trwspf!herb			or
...!{lbl-csam|trwrb|trwspp}!trwspf!brand!barad

ARPANET:	barad%brand@usc-ecl.ARPA

mark@apple.UUCP (Mark Lentczner) (03/10/86)

[]
Uhm, well the binding of the Enter key to the blue button is done in
the lowest level of the interpreter on the Macintosh, not in the image
so there is no good way to rebind it.  You could rewrite some of the
low level stuff in InputSensor to rebind it but be carefull, that's
deadly code you're dealing with, one false move and you've got a frozen
image.  As far as rebinding it to the control key, you couldn't do that
anyway since Smalltalk expects to be able to see the control key as
a sepearate modifier on any key stroke or mouse click - granted you
could change the way the image deals with such things, but it sounds
like a bit of a pain.  Oh, the reason why it doens'twork on a macPlus
is the new keyboard, using a Mac or Mac 512 keybaord with Smalltalk on
the macPlus should work fine.  It seams that they changed the physical
key numbers on the new keyboard, and the enter key moved!  Yes, the
Smalltalk group is working on the problem, we'll let you know.

-mark lentczner
 Apple Computer

barad@brand.UUCP (Herb Barad) (03/10/86)

In article <184@brand.UUCP> barad@brand.UUCP (Herb Barad) writes:
>I would like to know if anyone has been using Apple's SmallTalk on a
>Mac Plus.  Supposedly, you can get the yellow button and blue button
>menus (within the window) by holding down the Option and Enter keys,
>respectively.  I have tried this, the yellow button menu comes up
>fine.  However, I can never get the blue button menu to come up.  Of
>course, I could always get the blue button menu from the label of the
>view, but sometimes (e.g. FormEditor "full screen size") it is not
>available.  SmallTalk (level 1) seems to think that pressing the Enter
>key is the same as pressing a "4"!  Why is this?  In any case, I would
>like to be able to fix this.  Also, instead of binding the blue menu
>key to the "Enter" key, I would rather have it on the "Command" key.

I have a clue (partly) to what my problem is.  First of all, the Enter key
on the keyboard of the Mac is not the exact same as the Enter key on the
keypad.  On the Mac+, the Enter key (only one) is the same as the keypad
Enter key.  SmallTalk recognizes the Enter key from the keyboard, not the
keypad (it is assigned a different key code).  The question now is, how do I
bind the function of the keyboard Enter key to the Enter key on the Mac
Plus?  I can probably approach it from one of two ways:

1. Change what key SmallTalk wants to see in order to get the blue menu.
2. Alter an INIT resource in the system file in order to change the keycode
of the Enter key.

I don't know exactly how to do either of these - any hints?

--
Herb Barad	[USC - Signal and Image Processing Institute]

USENET:

...!sdcrdcf!usc-oberon!brand!barad			or

steven@boring.uucp (Steven Pemberton) (03/13/86)

In article <34175@apple.UUCP> mark@apple.UUCP (Mark Lentczner) writes:
> Oh, the reason why it doens'twork on a macPlus
> is the new keyboard, using a Mac or Mac 512 keybaord with Smalltalk on
> the macPlus should work fine.  It seams that they changed the physical
> key numbers on the new keyboard, and the enter key moved!  Yes, the
> Smalltalk group is working on the problem, we'll let you know.

Ha! With European keyboards it has never worked! Imagine, we have to use
Smalltalk without a space bar... what a pain.

Steven Pemberton, CWI, Amsterdam; steven@mcvax.uucp