[net.lang.st80] Answers to: Help with SmallTalk on Mac Plus

barad@brand.UUCP (Herb Barad) (03/16/86)

In article <34175@apple.UUCP> mark@apple.UUCP (Mark Lentczner) writes:
>[]
>Uhm, well the binding of the Enter key to the blue button is done in
>the lowest level of the interpreter on the Macintosh, not in the image
>so there is no good way to rebind it.  You could rewrite some of the
>low level stuff in InputSensor to rebind it but be carefull, that's
>deadly code you're dealing with, one false move and you've got a frozen
>image.  As far as rebinding it to the control key, you couldn't do that
>anyway since Smalltalk expects to be able to see the control key as
>a sepearate modifier on any key stroke or mouse click - granted you
>could change the way the image deals with such things, but it sounds
>like a bit of a pain.  Oh, the reason why it doens'twork on a macPlus
>is the new keyboard, using a Mac or Mac 512 keybaord with Smalltalk on
>the macPlus should work fine.  It seams that they changed the physical
>key numbers on the new keyboard, and the enter key moved!  Yes, the
>Smalltalk group is working on the problem, we'll let you know.
>
>-mark lentczner
> Apple Computer

Unfortunately, the answer from Apple was not much help.  However, someone
from England did find the correct answer:

>I had a similar problem using MacST-80 on a Euro keyboard.  The problem is
>that the interpreter looks specifically for the key-code
>of the ENTER key.  This is 52 (dec) on the US keyb, but is 49 on the Euro one
>and presumably something else again on a Mac+ (you'll have to find out what it
>is - I don't have a Mac+).  The fix is to patch the ST-interp (not the image)
>as follows: in block 29 (1D hex), offset 1B4 hex is the
>sequence 0C28 0034
>                ^^
>34 hex is decimal 52: change this to the keycode generated by the
>MacPlus keybrd. (Example: for the Euro kyd, I cchanged it to
>read 0C28 0031 <- 31 hex = 49 dec).  Hope this helps. I posted an earlier
>version of this to Usenet, but restricted dist to Europe for obvious reasons.
>
>Regards
>Sak Wathanasin, U of Sussex, Cognitive Studies, Falmer, Sussex BN1 9QN, UK
>uucp:...mcvax!ukc!cvaxa!sakw  arpa/janet: sakw%uk.ac.sussex.cvaxa@uk.ac.ucl.cs

I did try this and it works.  You have to replace it with $4C (if I remember
correctly) because that is the keycode that the Mac+ Enter key sends.

						Thanks Sak!

--
Herb Barad	[USC - Signal and Image Processing Institute]

USENET:

...!sdcrdcf!usc-oberon!brand!barad			or
...!{lbl-csam|trwrb|trwspp}!trwspf!herb			or
...!{lbl-csam|trwrb|trwspp}!trwspf!brand!barad

ARPANET:	barad%brand@usc-ecl.ARPA