[net.lang.st80] Smalltalk/V

jw4@ssc-vax.UUCP (Joel Ware) (08/09/86)

Does anyone have any comments on the Smalltalk/V (tm) product, by Digitalk,Inc.
  of Los Angeles ?  (Ref.: PC-Week, July 22,1986, page 20.) Anybody got one ?

--
Joel Ware IV     (Boeing Computer Services Co., Prof. Svcs. Group)
 ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!jw4

dan@rsch.wisc.edu (Daniel M. Frank) (08/10/86)

In article <824@ssc-vax.UUCP> jw4@ssc-vax.UUCP (Joel Ware) writes:
>Does anyone have any comments on the Smalltalk/V (tm) product, by Digitalk,Inc.
>  of Los Angeles ?  (Ref.: PC-Week, July 22,1986, page 20.) Anybody got one ?

   Better yet, has anyone else read the article's attempt to explain what
Smalltalk is?  "Non-textual"?  "All statements have an if-then corollary
significance"?  (I'm quoting without the article in front of me, but
you get the general idea).   My favorite was the description of virtual
memory as being "memory which the computer thinks it has, but doesn't".
I always thought that was the definition of a bus error.

   I think there is a new Cargo Cult of computer users, the theologians
of which write for PC Week.

------

      Dan Frank

	  Q: What's the difference between an Apple MacIntosh
	     and an Etch-A-Sketch?

	  A: You don't have to shake the Mac to clear the screen.