[net.bugs.usg] nm.c bug

dan@ciprico.UUCP (02/15/85)

Just found this....I'm using a Uniplus Version of System III...the problem
lies within nm.  The namelist printer...it seems that after 17 files
that are in a "bad format", it can't open any more files.  Someone somewhere
has forgotten to close the files after seeing that they are in a bad
format.  I don't have source code, can someone verify this?  Thanx.
	-Dan A. Dickey
-------
-Dan A. Dickey		ihnp4!mmm!ciprico!dan

jaap@mcvax.UUCP (Jaap Akkerhuis) (02/21/85)

In article <12300001@ciprico.UUCP> dan@ciprico.UUCP writes:

  >Just found this....I'm using a Uniplus Version of System III...the problem
  >lies within nm.  The namelist printer...it seems that after 17 files
  >that are in a "bad format", it can't open any more files.  Someone somewhere
  >has forgotten to close the files after seeing that they are in a bad
  >format.  I don't have source code, can someone verify this?  Thanx.

Yep, it is very likely that this is the case. On the 4.2BSD version
of nm the files are never closed when they have a bad format (or an
old one). The fix (if you have the source code of course) is to
replace the "return"'s in these cases by a "goto out", in routine
namelist(). The current file under inspection will then be closed.

If you don't have the source I'm afraid you have to fool around with adb
to fix it.

	jaap.