[net.bugs.usg] 3B5 Tape Buffer Limit

chris@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Chris Johnston) (05/04/85)

Can this be?

We have a new 3B5.  The tape hardware seems to be limited to an 8k
buffer.  Since every one in the world writes tar tapes with blocksize
20 we rewrite many tapes.

Chris Johnston

Fone:       312 962-8440
CSNet:      chris@UChicago.CSNet
ARPA:       johnston@anl-mcs.ARPA
UUCP:       ...!ihnp4!gargoyle!chris
MailNet:    j1.johnston@UChicago.MailNet

> We have a new 3B5.  The tape hardware seems to be limited to an 8k
> buffer.

That's what I hear.  Be glad it's not the minimum meeting the ANSI
magtape standard (2048 bytes, I believe).

dsp@ptsfa.UUCP (David St. Pierre) (05/10/85)

In article <446@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP> chris@gargoyle.UUCP (Chris Johnston) writes:

>We have a new 3B5.  The tape hardware seems to be limited to an 8k
>buffer.  Since every one in the world writes tar tapes with blocksize
>20 we rewrite many tapes.

Gee - that's a 33% improvement over what they've been offering for the 3B20!
Every time I got a tar tape from a 3rd party, I'd have to go begging to someone
with a micro so I could reblock the tape. Oh well, any year now ...