[net.bugs.usg] What does "usg" stand for?

west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) (01/11/86)

OK, I give up!  I know from the content of net.bugs.usg
that it has to do with System V Unix, but what does the
"usg" mean???

Steve Westfall		      uucp:    ihnp4!gargoyle!west
Infotronx, Inc.
159 W. Roosevelt Rd.	      Phone:  312-231-6054 (ofc)
West Chicago, IL 60185

wcl@hjuxa.UUCP (Bill Loeffler) (01/12/86)

In article <298@gargoyle.UUCP>, west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) writes:
> OK, I give up!  I know from the content of net.bugs.usg
> that it has to do with System V Unix, but what does the
> "usg" mean???

"Unix Support Group" located in BTL Summit NJ.

--
Bill Loeffler
Digital Equipment Corp., Holmdel NJ 07733

jlw@ariel.UUCP (J.WOOD) (01/13/86)

> In article <298@gargoyle.UUCP>, west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) writes:
> > OK, I give up!  I know from the content of net.bugs.usg
> > that it has to do with System V Unix, but what does the
> > "usg" mean???
> >

> "Unix Support Group" located in BTL Summit NJ.
>
> --
> Bill Loeffler
> Digital Equipment Corp., Holmdel NJ 07733
> uucp: ...!{decvax,ihnp4}!hjuxa!wcl

Actually it's a division now and has been in
AT&T Information Systems for more than a year.
The original UNIX Support Group was a group
chartered to take research UNIX and PWB UNIX
and Columbus UNIX and put them all together
into a standard package for use within BTL.
It sort of grew.

					Joseph L. Wood, III
					AT&T Information Systems
					Laboratories, Middletown
					(201) 957-5475
					<ariel!>titania!jlw

steve@jplgodo.UUCP (Steve Schlaifer x3171 156/224) (01/13/86)

> OK, I give up!  I know from the content of net.bugs.usg
> that it has to do with System V Unix, but what does the
> "usg" mean???
>

> Steve Westfall                      uucp:    ihnp4!gargoyle!west
> Infotronx, Inc.
> 159 W. Roosevelt Rd.        Phone:  312-231-6054 (ofc)
> West Chicago, IL 60185

maybe UNIX support group at ATT?

...smeagol\                     Steve Schlaifer
......wlbr->!jplgodo!steve      Advance Projects Group, Jet Propulsion Labs
....group3/                     4800 Oak Grove Drive, M/S 156/204
                                Pasadena, California, 91109
                                        +1 818 354 3171

mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) (01/17/86)

> The original UNIX Support Group was a group
> chartered to take research UNIX and PWB UNIX
> and Columbus UNIX and put them all together
> into a standard package for use within BTL.
> It sort of grew.
> 					Joseph L. Wood, III
Actually, it was chartered to make a common UNIX for operations support
systems (especially), including Columbus among others. My March 1974 phone
book shows Joe Maranzano as the supervisor of the (2-person!) group in
Berk Tague's dept, long before the 1977 merger with PWB that led to
UNIX/TS (1.0), PWB 2.0, System III, etc.  From small acorns....
--
-john mashey
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mash

dpb@laidbak.UUCP (Darryl Baker) (01/17/86)

In article <298@gargoyle.UUCP> west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) writes:
>OK, I give up!  I know from the content of net.bugs.usg
>that it has to do with System V Unix, but what does the
>"usg" mean???

The USG does stand for UNIX Support Group, and calling the ATT unix this came
from a comment in sysent.c reserving a system call for usg. This group was
based in Murray Hill NJ and was notorious for not returning calls or giving
out misinformation. When ATT made UNIX a commercial product they formed a
new support group in IL. These are the people who support UNIX System V on
VAX, PDP, and the 3B line.

		I was a member of USG in IL for 2 years.
		Darryl Baker
		ihnp4!laidbak!dpb

jlw@ariel.UUCP (J.WOOD) (01/18/86)

> > The original UNIX Support Group was a group
> > chartered to take research UNIX and PWB UNIX
> > and Columbus UNIX and put them all together
> > into a standard package for use within BTL.
> > It sort of grew.
> > 					Joseph L. Wood, III
> Actually, it was chartered to make a common UNIX for operations support
> systems (especially), including Columbus among others. My March 1974 phone
> book shows Joe Maranzano as the supervisor of the (2-person!) group in
> Berk Tague's dept, long before the 1977 merger with PWB that led to
> UNIX/TS (1.0), PWB 2.0, System III, etc.  From small acorns....
> --
> -john mashey
> UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mash
> DDD:  	415-960-1200
> USPS: 	MIPS Computer Systems, 1330 Charleston Rd, Mtn View, CA 94043

I stand corrected by one who was a participator rather
than myself who was a fairly distant observer and
user.

					Joseph L. Wood, III
					AT&T Information Systems
					Laboratories, Middletown
					(201) 957-5475
					<ariel!>titania!jlw

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (01/19/86)

> >OK, I give up!  I know from the content of net.bugs.usg
> >that it has to do with System V Unix, but what does the
> >"usg" mean???
>
> The USG does stand for UNIX Support Group, and calling the ATT unix this
> came from a comment in sysent.c reserving a system call for usg.

No, calling System III UNIX and System V UNIX that ("ATT UNIX" is redundant;
all UNIX systems, as opposed to UNIX "lookalikes", come ultimately from
AT&T, even 4.xBSD, Xenix, etc.) comes from the fact that some organization
possibly called the USG put those versions of UNIX out.  (Those versions are
descendants of UNIX/TS 1.0, which was basically a slightly pre-V7 UNIX with
a lot of PWB/UNIX stuff added in.)

> When ATT made UNIX a commercial product they formed a new support group
> in IL. These are the people who support UNIX System V on VAX, PDP, and
> the 3B line.

System V is currently in the hands of AT&T Information Systems, in a group
which, I think, used to be the UNIX System Development Laboratory in Bell
Labs, which may have been called the UNIX Support Group before that (the
UNIX/TS people).  That group is in Summit, NJ; I think the group in IL is
reponsible for getting that to work on machines other than the 3B2, which is
now the official "porting base" of UNIX.  (I think they should hack up a
PDP-1 instead, so that the porting base is a 18-bit one's complement
machine.  They should also change it to support 19-bit character pointers and
not to have a location 0 in its address space.  *That* should beat the
portability bugs out of UNIX but good....)

	Guy Harris

> System V is currently in the hands of AT&T Information Systems, in a group
> which, I think, used to be the UNIX System Development Laboratory in Bell
> Labs, which may have been called the UNIX Support Group before that (the
> UNIX/TS people).  That group is in Summit, NJ; I think the group in IL is
> reponsible for getting that to work on machines other than the 3B2, which is
> now the official "porting base" of UNIX.

Last time I looked at UNIX on a 3B2, several files in /usr/include/sys
had definitions for 3B2 machine-specific stuff such as memory management
unit register bit fields.  Some "porting base".