[net.bizarre] refugee donuts & whipped cream behaviour

jbtubman@water.UUCP (Jim Tubman [LPAIG]) (07/30/85)

In article <9446@ucbvax.ARPA> mayfield@ucbvax.ARPA (Jim Mayfield) writes:
>In college, we kept a bowl of jello with ``whipped cream'' around for an
>entire school year.  The jello hardened into a cloudy lump, but the topping
>remained completely unchanged, either in consistency or color, for the
>duration of the experiment.  Makes you wonder what it does when you eat it.
>
>						- Jim Mayfield

At Marquis Hall, at the University of Saskatchewan, we had "the whipped
cream test."  You needed a plate, a glass, and a glob of so-called "whipped
cream."  After putting the "whipped cream" in the centre of the plate, you
would press a glass down onto it and then lift the plate up.  The "whipped
cream" was an amazing adhesive -- you could wave the glass around and it
wouldn't get unstuck from the plate.

Once someone hung a glass upside down on the bottom of a table using only
"whipped cream" as adhesive.  It stayed there for many months.

					Jim Tubman
					University of Waterloo

csc@watmath.UUCP (Jan Gray) (08/04/85)

In high school, a friend of mine decided he'd get even with someone by filling
this person's locker with a can of two year old whipped cream.  It was only
after emptying the entire can that my friend realized he'd filled *his* *own*
locker...

Letter: "Dear Dave:  lately you have been telling too many in-jokes to
	the studio audience, leaving us poor home viewers in the dark!"
D.L.:	"Sounds like this guy came on the bus with Marsha!"

> At Marquis Hall, at the University of Saskatchewan, we had "the whipped
> cream test."  You needed a plate, a glass, and a glob of so-called "whipped
> cream."  After putting the "whipped cream" in the centre of the plate, you
> would press a glass down onto it and then lift the plate up.  The "whipped
> cream" was an amazing adhesive -- you could wave the glass around and it
> wouldn't get unstuck from the plate.
>
> Once someone hung a glass upside down on the bottom of a table using only
> "whipped cream" as adhesive.  It stayed there for many months.

	The high school I went to had a cafeteria with tables having hollow
tubular legs.  It was possible to reach up underneath the table where the legs
fastened and drop food into the legs.  This was a popular pasttime.

	I would imagine that a vertical cross section of such a table leg
would give a pretty good history of the cafeteria food (sort of like a
geological core sample).

	Larry Lippman
	Recognition Research Corp.
	Clarence, New York
	UUCP	{decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
		{rice,shell}!baylor!kitty!larry
		syr!buf!kitty!larry
	VOICE	716/741-9185
	TELEX	{via WUI} 69-71461 answerback: ELGECOMCLR

	"Have you hugged your cat today?"