[net.bizarre] Datamedia DT80/1 terminal leakage

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (08/08/85)

In article <208@gymble.UUCP> neal@gymble.UUCP (Neal R. Vanderlipp) writes:
>I'm a little perplexed by a leakage problem with my DT80/1-am.  It's been
>staining my desktop lately.  I've had the terminal for three years (from
>when the first -am model was introduced), and it just started leaking a few
>weeks ago.  It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but I'm concerned.
>Any ideas?

Depends on what's it's leaking.  Water, Ammonia or Hydrogen Peroxide is not
a great problem, and can probably be fixed with a washcloth or a bucket.
Human blood, however, could indicate that one of your officemates is a mass
murderer, and is storing spare body parts of victims in your terminal.  Is
that woman to the left of you looking at you strangely?  Maybe she knows
that you know!

				Hee Hee Hee....

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsri}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

neal@gymble.UUCP (Neal R. Vanderlipp) (08/13/85)

The following excerpts indicate some confusion concerning my recent posting-

>In article <208@gymble.UUCP> neal@gymble.UUCP (Neal R. Vanderlipp) writes:
>>I'm a little perplexed by a leakage problem with my DT80/1-am.  It's been
>>staining my desktop lately.  I've had the terminal for three years (from
>>when the first -am model was introduced), and it just started leaking a few
>>weeks ago.  It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but I'm concerned.
>>Any ideas?
>
>Depends on what's it's leaking.  Water, Ammonia or Hydrogen Peroxide is not
>a great problem, and can probably be fixed with a washcloth or a bucket.
>Human blood, however, could indicate that one of your officemates is a mass
>murderer, and is storing spare body parts of victims in your terminal.  Is
>that woman to the left of you looking at you strangely?  Maybe she knows
>that you know!

What's this about Ammonia or Hydrogen Peroxide?  The only fish habitats I've
heard of are fresh water or marine.

By the way, I've found a silicon based product from Dow-Corning which works
great, called Vide-goo.

--
Neal R. Vanderlipp
ARPA:	neal@maryland

harry@ucbarpa (08/14/85)

From: harry@ucbarpa (Harry I. Rubin)

In article <208@gymble.UUCP> neal@gymble.UUCP (Neal R. Vanderlipp) writes:
>I'm a little perplexed by a leakage problem with my DT80/1-am.  It's been
>staining my desktop lately.  I've had the terminal for three years (from
>when the first -am model was introduced), and it just started leaking a few
>weeks ago.  It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but I'm concerned.
>Any ideas?

Oh oh, you've got a data leak.  You are trying to run too much data
through the terminal and you are losing information:  excess bits just
ooze out the bottom or sides.  This is a fairly serious problem in that
this stuff will not only stain your desk badly, but eventually starts
to smell very bad (old information can get pretty powerful)!  Larger
disks or faster terminal lines can sometimes alleviate a data leak to
some extent, depending on what is causing it, but when all else fails
there is an old ``home remedy.''  Get a tray with grooves to channel
the runoff, the sort of thing you buy to put under your kitchen dishrack
to catch the drips can often be made to serve, or you can fake it with
aluminum foil.  Place your leaky terminal on the tray so that the leaking
information will flow off the back of your desk and drip into ...
the bit bucket you have placed behind your desk.  Not only will this save
your desk, but you can never tell when having a bucket of spare information
around will come in handy.  As I mentioned though, data spoils fairly
quickly and bad data smells awful, so you'll have to empty the bucket
every few days.

Hope this helps you out.  Good luck.