[net.bizarre] Problem with Datamedia DT80/1 terminal

fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) (08/03/85)

Has anyone else had this problem, and specifically, does anyone have a
solution? I've been having algae growing on the screen of my DT80/1-a.
This has been getting thick enough to interfere with visibility, and
has gotten quite annoying lately. I've tried turning the brightness up
all the way, but it doesn't kill the algae. In fact it seemed to grow
faster. Can anyone suggest anything else?
--
All characters mentioned herein are fictitious. Any similarity to
actual characters, ASCII or EBCDIC is purely coincidental.

						Fred Blonder (301) 454-7690
						Fred@Maryland.{ARPA,CSNet}
						harpo!seismo!umcp-cs!fred

neal@gymble.UUCP (Neal R. Vanderlipp) (08/03/85)

The algae is probably getting too many nutrients and/or too much light.
From my experience, that's not unusual with those terminals.  It may have
something to do with the phosphors.

You might try keeping the dust cover on (whenever practical).  Most of the
problematic algae grows faster in the range 70-107 degrees F, so it would
also be desirable to keep the a/c down low, especially during the summer
months when natural lighting is at its peak.  There's also a commercial
algaecide called "Mr. Fungus", which also works to cure atheletes' foot.
I personally haven't tried it for either problem, but it may just do the
job.

I'm a little perplexed by a leakage problem with my DT80/1-am.  It's been
staining my desktop lately.  I've had the terminal for three years (from
when the first -am model was introduced), and it just started leaking a few
weeks ago.  It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but I'm concerned.
Any ideas?
--
Neal R. Vanderlipp
ARPA:	neal@maryland

>I'm a little perplexed by a leakage problem with my DT80/1-am.

The salt speeds up corrosion.  You might try some of that
putty-like substance on it.
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

fred@tove.UUCP (Fred Blonder) (08/03/85)

    . . . You might try keeping the dust cover on (whenever
    practical).  Most of the problematic algae grows faster in the
    range 70-107 degrees F, so it would also be desirable to keep the
    a/c down low, especially during the summer months when natural
    lighting is at its peak. . . .

Unfortunately, I can't control the a/c in my office, and I have no
windows so it's not a problem with natural light. I think the algae is
thriving on the flourescent light.  (Makes sense, flourescent lights
use phosphors too, same as the terminal screen.)

    I'm a little perplexed by a leakage problem with my DT80/1-am.
    It's been staining my desktop lately. . . .

I think there's a special pad you can buy to keep it on, that's
specially treated to resist stains from the salt in the am model
Datamedia.

What kind of gravel are you using in it? I understand that if you use
too much, or the wrong kind, the strain on the terminal case will cause
some of the seams to leak.
--
All characters mentioned herein are fictitious. Any similarity to
actual characters, ASCII or EBCDIC is purely coincidental.

                                                Fred Blonder (301) 454-7690
                                                Fred@Maryland.{ARPA,CSNet}
						seismo!umcp-cs!fred

bennet@gymble.UUCP (Tom Bennet) (08/03/85)

>From fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) Fri Aug  2 18:05:18 1985
>Newsgroups: net.bizarre
>Subject: Problem with Datamedia DT80/1 terminal
>
>Has anyone else had this problem, and specifically, does anyone have a
>solution? I've been having algae growing on the screen of my DT80/1-a.
>This has been getting thick enough to interfere with visibility, and
>has gotten quite annoying lately. I've tried turning the brightness up
>all the way, but it doesn't kill the algae. In fact it seemed to grow
>faster. Can anyone suggest anything else?

I've used several DT80/1-a and DT80/1-am model terminals, and such problems
have arisen.  We've had good luck with snails.  They're cheap, reproduce
quickly, and eat lots of algae.  There are a number of things to watch out for,
though:

  1. Since they are so prolific, once you start using them, it's hard to get
     rid of them later.

  2. Some of our snails have developed an affinity for certain characters, and
     will therefore tend to cover them.  The snail colony on one terminal
     became so fond of ~ that we had to stop using it.  Every time someone
     tried to reference their home directory, all the snails would try to cover
     the command line.

  3. We've also had some trouble with a local animal-rights group.  They are
     concerned about radiation and psychological effects.  The physics dept.
     says the radiation is insignificant, and God alone knows if snails have
     a psychology, but I sure don't want to have to take this thing to court.

  4. Occasionally one manages to crawl out, and then someone usually manages to
     step on it.  This is unplesant, but at least it's better than a slug :-).

Anyway, snails have been good to us.  They're even kind of fun to have around
and can be pleasant to watch.  The undergrads have even named some of them.
A balanced diet is important: one must | Tom Bennet @ U of MD Comp Sci Dept
occasionally change pizza places.      | ..!ihnp4!seismo!umcp-cs!gymble!bennet

crandell@ut-sally.UUCP (Jim Crandell) (08/03/85)

>  I've been having algae growing on the screen of my DT80/1-a.
> This has been getting thick enough to interfere with visibility, and
> has gotten quite annoying lately. I've tried turning the brightness up
> all the way, but it doesn't kill the algae. In fact it seemed to grow
> faster. Can anyone suggest anything else?

Smoke Chuck Wagon cigars.  They'll kill anything.
--

    Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin
               {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!crandell

speaker@gymble.UUCP (Speaker to Animals) (08/03/85)

In article <299@tove.UUCP> fred@tove.UUCP (Fred Blonder) writes:
>     I'm a little perplexed by a leakage problem with my DT80/1-am.
>     It's been staining my desktop lately. . . .
>
> I think there's a special pad you can buy to keep it on, that's
> specially treated to resist stains from the salt in the am model
> Datamedia.
>
> What kind of gravel are you using in it? I understand that if you use
> too much, or the wrong kind, the strain on the terminal case will cause
> some of the seams to leak.
> --
> All characters mentioned herein are fictitious. Any similarity to
> actual characters, ASCII or EBCDIC is purely coincidental.
>
>                                                 Fred Blonder (301) 454-7690

The lunatic is on the grass
The lunatic is on the grass
Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs
Got to keep the loonies on the path
The lunatic is in the hall
The lunatics are in my hall
The paper holds their folded faces to the floor
And every day the paper boy brings more...

And if the damn breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no moon upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forbodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon....

Oooooohh ooooohhh...

The lunatic is in my head
The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me till I'm sane
You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me...

> Has anyone else had this problem, and specifically, does anyone have a
> solution? I've been having algae growing on the screen of my DT80/1-a.

	I keep a spray bottle of sodium hypochlorite solution (available from
swimming pool suppliers) handy and just spray the terminal several times a
day.  Be sure to spray inside of the terminal.

	I also use the same solution to keep the ants under control near our
MicroBee II's - it seems that the ants like to feast on the dripping honey.

	Larry Lippman
	Recognition Research Corp.
	Clarence, New York
	UUCP	{decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
		{rice,shell}!baylor!kitty!larry
		syr!buf!kitty!larry
	VOICE	716/741-9185
	TELEX	{via WUI} 69-71461 answerback: ELGECOMCLR

	"Have you hugged your cat today?"

jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) (08/05/85)

> >I'm a little perplexed by a leakage problem with my DT80/1-am.
>
> The salt speeds up corrosion.  You might try some of that
> putty-like substance on it.

What you need is some good old guar gum.
					AMBAR
"In the old days, only poet, prophets, and mystics heard voices in the air......now everybody's got a Walkman!"

nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) (08/05/85)

> I'm a little perplexed by a leakage problem with my DT80/1-am.  It's been
> staining my desktop lately.  I've had the terminal for three years (from
> when the first -am model was introduced), and it just started leaking a few
> weeks ago.  It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but I'm concerned.
> Any ideas?
> --
> Neal R. Vanderlipp

     Maybe you lay papers down for the it.  Would YOU like to sit in one spot
for three years, no matter how well housebroken?

				From the alter ego of--

				Kchula-Rrit

sues@hercules.UUCP (Sue Anne Smith) (08/07/85)

In article <208@gymble.UUCP> neal@gymble.UUCP (Neal R. Vanderlipp) writes:

>I'm a little perplexed by a leakage problem with my DT80/1-am.  It's been
>staining my desktop lately.  I've had the terminal for three years (from
>when the first -am model was introduced), and it just started leaking a few
>weeks ago.  It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but I'm concerned.
>Any ideas?

Have you considered walking it?  Some people swear by paper-training, but I just
throw mine out the back door twice a day. 8-)

fred@tove.UUCP (Fred Blonder) (08/08/85)

> >  I've been having algae growing on the screen of my DT80/1-a.
>
> Smoke Chuck Wagon cigars.  They'll kill anything.
>
>     Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin

Hey. This is SERIOUS!

bill@persci.UUCP (08/08/85)

In article <208@gymble.UUCP> neal@gymble.UUCP (Neal R. Vanderlipp) scribbles:
>[...]
>I'm a little perplexed by a leakage problem with my DT80/1-am.  It's been
>staining my desktop lately.  I've had the terminal for three years (from
>when the first -am model was introduced), and it just started leaking a few
>weeks ago.  It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but I'm concerned.
>Any ideas?
>--
Yes. First you spread newspaper under it, replacing it when it gets stained.
Then, after the terminal has become used to staining the paper instead of
your desk, you gradually start moving the paper towards the wastebasket..

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

> > >  I've been having algae growing on the screen of my DT80/1-a.
> >
> > Smoke Chuck Wagon cigars.  They'll kill anything.
>
> Hey. This is SERIOUS!

	The following is a true, bizarre occurence:

	I once saw a serious outbreak of fungus on a PBX.  It was an OKI Model
AC-220 wire-spring relay/crossbar PBX which had a yellow fungus growing on the
contact separator cards of the wire-spring relays. These plastic cards appeared
to be made of some cheap phenolic resin.  In some dense areas the fungus had
started to encroach upon the relay contacts.  Solving this problem was really
somewhat tricky, since one could hardly spray Lysol on the energized components.
I finally recommended placing paraformaldehyde flakes in the bottom of the
apparatus cabinets - which promptly killed all of the fungus in about a week's
time.
	I guess the AT&T people would probably say that's what happens when
you buy cheap garbage telephone apparatus - which in this case is true!

|	Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        |
|	UUCP	{decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  |
|					    {rice,shell}!baylor!/	      |
|	VOICE	716/741-9185			      syr!buf!/		      |
|	TELEX	{via WUI} 69-71461 ansbak: ELGECOMCLR			      |
|									      |
|	"Have you hugged your cat today?"				      |

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/13/85)

> > >  I've been having algae growing on the screen of my DT80/1-a.
> >
> > Smoke Chuck Wagon cigars.  They'll kill anything.
> >
> >     Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin
>
> Hey. This is SERIOUS!

Then why are you posting it HERE? This is Sirius!

	Awooooooooooo!
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

vohra@ut-sally.UUCP (Pavan Vohra) (08/16/85)

In article <379@baylor.UUCP> peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:

>> > Smoke Chuck Wagon cigars.  They'll kill anything.
>> >
>> >     Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin
>>
>> Hey. This is SERIOUS!
>
>Then why are you posting it HERE? This is Sirius!
>
>	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)

If they were clouds of algae, this could really be Cirrus!

--
                                                   Pavan Vohra
				     {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!vohra