[net.bizarre] Those Slippery Slimy Slugs -- vs -- The Salt Shaker

krahl@druky.UUCP (KrahlRH) (08/01/85)

>> {}[]()->
>>
>> 	Have you ever stepped on a slug barefoot?   Good, neither have I.

>> 						dno

>    I had a roommate that did JUST THAT.  She walked into the kitchen without
>the lights on and, next thing I know, I hear this piercing SHRIEK from the
>kitchen.  I ran into the Kitchen, thinking that she had cut off a finger or
>something.  Instead, she was standing on one foot, speechless, picking at her
>nylon on the bottom of her foot.  It took her >1 hour to remove the slime from
>her foot; the stuff never washed out of the nylons.

>				From the alter ego of--
>
>				Kchula-Rrit

If looking at a 'slimy' slug doesn't bother you...then you might want to hear
what I did (back in S.E. Ohio a few years ago).  I got a small amount of
enjoyment out of shaking salt on the little slimy slugs.  MAGICALLY !! they
began to MELT -(like the witch on the Wizard of Oz).  Has anyone else ever
heard of 'salting those slugs'?? -- and -- Does it work on the California
Blonde variety also??

--
				       Rich Krahl  ..!drutx!druky!krahl

"You can't get what you want..'til you know what you want" -Joe Jackson

sdh@alice.UUCP (Steve Hawley) (08/02/85)

Not only does salting slugs have interesting effects, but beer does too.

You see, them slugs love the taste of it, and a small dish of it left outside
overnight (near a spot suspected to be slug-infested) will draw those suckers
like flies. They crawl into the dish, overdo it, and die inebriated.

I've heard tell that pigeons will explode if fed Alka-Seltzer tablets. Is this
true?

"Life.. don't talk to me about life" -Marvin

Steve Hawley
alice!sdh

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (08/03/85)

[A sacrifice to the great god Line_Eater!]

I think that these "blonde slugs" you're discussing may resemble some that I
have seen up in Marin County that were about four to six inches long, and
colored like ripe bananas:  a slimy yellow with black spots.  My uncle called
them banana slugs.  I don't know of any official designation (hell, maybe they
ARE some variety of the "California Blonde Slug") for them, but it sure fits.
Then again, my uncle ALSO told me that if you feed them your garbage your car
will run better.

> If looking at a 'slimy' slug doesn't bother you...then you might want to hear
> what I did (back in S.E. Ohio a few years ago).  I got a small amount of
> enjoyment out of shaking salt on the little slimy slugs.  MAGICALLY !! they
> began to MELT -(like the witch on the Wizard of Oz).  Has anyone else ever
> heard of 'salting those slugs'?? -- and -- Does it work on the California
> Blonde variety also??

	There is nothing more delicious that a salted slug tied into a pretzel
shape, baked for outer crispness, and eaten with mustard.

	Larry Lippman
	Recognition Research Corp.
	Clarence, New York
	UUCP	{decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
		{rice,shell}!baylor!kitty!larry
		syr!buf!kitty!larry
	VOICE	716/741-9185
	TELEX	{via WUI} 69-71461 answerback: ELGECOMCLR

	"Have you hugged your cat today?"

nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) (08/05/85)

>>> {}[]()->
>>>
>>> 	Have you ever stepped on a slug barefoot?   Good, neither have I.
>>> 						dno
>>>
>>    I had a roommate that did JUST THAT.  ...
>>
>>				From the alter ego of--
>>
>>				Kchula-Rrit
>
> If looking at a 'slimy' slug doesn't bother you...then you might want to hear
> what I did (back in S.E. Ohio a few years ago).  I got a small amount of
> enjoyment out of shaking salt on the little slimy slugs.  MAGICALLY !! they
> began to MELT -(like the witch on the Wizard of Oz).  Has anyone else ever
> heard of 'salting those slugs'?? -- and -- Does it work on the California
> Blonde variety also??
>
> 				       Rich Krahl  ..!drutx!druky!krahl

     That sounds like a rather drastic allergy reaction, wouldn't you say?

					From the alter ego of--

					Kchula-Rrit

cspencer@bbncc5.UUCP (Clifford Spencer) (08/06/85)

Once someone told me a great way to kill slugs. "Oh, they love beer.
Put out a bowl of beer". The next morning I came out to find this
disgusting bowl of dead drunk slugs. I never tried that trick again.
							-cliff

scotth@grpwre.UUCP (Scott Herzinger) (08/12/85)

> Once someone told me a great way to kill slugs. "Oh, they love beer.
> Put out a bowl of beer". The next morning I came out to find this
> disgusting bowl of dead drunk slugs. I never tried that trick again.
> 							-cliff

Good.  The slugs were dead.  They were not drunk.  Your statement is
anthropomorphic.  And to the folks that put salt on slugs I ask why?
Why is it fun to see a creature die like that?  If slugs need to be
gotten rid of (say, removed from a garden), how about putting egg shells
around the perimeter.  Too irritating for the slugs to cross, but not
lethal.  And your Golden Retriever won't have to go thru convulsive
seizures because it ingested slug bait (which tastes just GREAT to dogs).

How about sharing this planet with the other creatures that live here?
Instead of salting them and watching them dissolve (literally and
figuratively).
--
		Scott Herzinger, Groupware Systems
		...!{ucbvax,decvax,ihnss}!tektronix!reed!grpwre!scotth

tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) (08/12/85)

> > If looking at a 'slimy' slug doesn't bother you...then you might want to hear
> > what I did (back in S.E. Ohio a few years ago).  I got a small amount of
> > enjoyment out of shaking salt on the little slimy slugs.  MAGICALLY !! they
> > began to MELT -(like the witch on the Wizard of Oz).  Has anyone else ever
> > heard of 'salting those slugs'?? -- and -- Does it work on the California
> > Blonde variety also??
> >
> > 				       Rich Krahl  ..!drutx!druky!krahl
> >
>      That sounds like a rather drastic allergy reaction, wouldn't you say?
>
> 					From the alter ego of--
>
> 					Kchula-Rrit
{}
I have always noticed that when I sprinkle MSG on banana slugs, it gives
them headaches.

Todd Moody       {allegra|astrovax|bpa|burdvax}!sjuvax!tmoody
Philosophy Department
St. Joseph's U.
Philadelphia, PA   19131

cspencer@bbncc5.UUCP (Clifford Spencer) (08/15/85)

> > disgusting bowl of dead drunk slugs. I never tried that trick again.

> Good.  The slugs were dead.  They were not drunk.  Your statement is
> anthropomorphic...

No, I said that the slugs were dead drunk, they might have been sleeping
it off.
						-cliff

michael3@garfield.UUCP (Mike Rendell) (08/21/85)

In article <166@grpwre.UUCP> scotth@grpwre.UUCP (Scott Herzinger) writes:
>Why is it fun to see a creature die like that?  If slugs need to be
>gotten rid of (say, removed from a garden), how about putting egg shells
>around the perimeter.  Too irritating for the slugs to cross, but not
>lethal.

 How about the courageous slugs who dare to cross the egg shell barrier,
 which has been filled with water during the rain the previous night, and
 slowly drown.  All the brave daring slugs will die off causing the entire
 species to evolve into a cowardly lot of slimes who are afraid of egg
 shells.  How's that for cruel???

					Mike Rendell