[net.bizarre] slugs and beer

bill@persci.UUCP (08/26/85)

In article <1088@wucs.UUCP> tp@wucs.UUCP (tom thumbs) writes:
>    I have just completed a little experiment and now I think I need the
>help of net.bizarre to properly interpret the results.
>[...]
>    This gave me an idea. I placed a tub of beer on the back of a
>fraternity house porch and, sure enough, when morning came, the entire
>frat had drowned in the beer.
>    This inspired part 2 of the experiment in which I shook salt on
>top of frat boys. There was no discernable effect.
>    Now, in terms of behavior and cleanliness, there seems little
>difference between slugs and frat people.
>    The questions:
>    1. are frat boys a species of slug which is salt-resistant?
>    2. was there an error in my methods?
>    3. are slugs just a degenerate (or perhaps more advanced) form
>       of fraternity brother?

The error was in your original hypothesis, that frat bros and slugs are
related species. In fact, they are an example of "convergent evolution"
(I think that's what it's called), where different species will evolve
similar characteristics in filling similar ecological niches.

The affinity for alcoholic beverages is an example. The differences are noted
in the reaction to salt (frat bros LOVE salt, especially with margaritas and
chips!), and the fact the frat bros don't crawl on their bellies (except in
their larval stage, as "pledges"). Also, frat bros are a widely divergent
species, some few of which have managed to evolve their primary form of
unaided locomotion from "staggering" (an uncanny resemblance to that of human
winos) to true walking. In fact, one species, the Zeta Betatauus, has actually
achieved full membership in the human race! No other species can claim this,
although some have claimed to be superior to mere humans (which is, in fact,
borne out by their aforementioned amazing capacity for the ingestion of
certain organic poisons).

--
This .signature intentionally not left blank.
   {decvax,skivax,turtlevax,sexvax,beesvax,earvax,blackvax,floorvax}!/dev/null