[net.bizarre] bizarre freeway sign

aaw@sri-unix.ARPA (Adlai A. Waksman) (08/14/85)

One of the exits a bit south of Oakland is labeled

		+----------------+
		|             _  |
		|  A Street   /| |
		|  Downtown  /   |
		|           /    |
		+----------------+

				-- Adlai Waksman
				arpa: aaw@sri-unix
				uucp: ...{hplabs,menlo70,fortune}!sri-unix!aaw

I highly doubt that SRI International would make me their spokesman.

jeq@laidbak.UUCP (Jonathan E. Quist) (08/16/85)

There is a sign somewhere in the Smoky Mountains,
on a winding road near a small bridge,
(I could drag this setup out for weeks):

		+----------------+
		|                |
		|        ____    |
		|       /    \   |
		|   /   |     |  |
		|  <----+----/   |
		|   \   |        |
		|       |        |
		|       |        |
		|                |
		|                |
		+----------------+

Now *that's* a sharp turn.

Jonathan E. Quist
Lachman Associates, Inc.
ihnp4!laidbak!jeq
``I deny this is a disclaimer.''

dob@ihlpa.UUCP (Daniel M. O'Brien) (08/16/85)

> There is a sign somewhere in the Smoky Mountains,
>
> 		+----------------+
> 		|                |
> 		|        ____    |
> 		|       /    \   |
> 		|   /   |     |  |
> 		|  <----+----/   |
> 		|   \   |        |
> 		|       |        |
> 		|       |        |
> 		|                |
> 		|                |
> 		+----------------+
>
> Jonathan E. Quist

That is just a symbolic form of signs that I have seen which read:

		+----------------+
		|   TO GO LEFT   |
		|     MAKE 3     |
		|   RIGHT TURNS  |
		+----------------+

---
			Daniel M. O'Brien (ihnp4!ihlpa!dob)
			AT&T Bell Laboratories
			IH 4A-258, x 4782
			Naperville-Wheaton Road
			Naperville, IL 60566

olson@rochester.UUCP (Thomas J. Olson) (08/20/85)

> One of the exits a bit south of Oakland is labeled
>
> 		+----------------+
> 		|             _  |
> 		|  A Street   /| |
> 		|  Downtown  /   |
> 		|           /    |
> 		+----------------+

  They're putting in a new exit on the Baltimore beltway, so as you drive
around Randallstown you drive under a big official highway-department green
sign that says

         +------------------------------------+
         |                                    |
         |               FUTURE         -->   |
         |                                    |
         +------------------------------------+
           |   /           ||           \   |
           |  /            ||            \  |
           | /             ||             \ |
           |/              ||              \|
           /               ||               \
          /                ||                \

It takes great willpower not to take that exit...

Tom Olson

hav@dual.UUCP (Not Sid Vicious) (08/20/85)

<*munch*>

=> One of the exits a bit south of Oakland is labeled
=>
=> 		+----------------+
=> 		|             _  |
=> 		|  A Street   /| |
=> 		|  Downtown  /   |
=> 		|           /    |
=> 		+----------------+
=>
=> 				-- Adlai Waksman

A bit south of Oakland?  Son, that sign's in *Hayward*!  (Or should I say
Haywierd?)  :-)

Helen Anne

     {ucbvax,ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,decwrl,unisoft,fortune,sun,nsc}!dual!hav

"J. Frank Parnell."
"Ott . . . Otto."
"Do you ever feel as if your mind had started to erode?"

In article <11121@rochester.UUCP> Thomas J. Olson writes:

>  They're putting in a new exit on the Baltimore beltway, so as you drive
>around Randallstown you drive under a big official highway-department green
>sign that says

>         +------------------------------------+
>         |                                    |
>         |               FUTURE         -->   |
>         |                                    |
>         +------------------------------------+
>           |   /           ||           \   |
>           |  /            ||            \  |
>           | /             ||             \ |
>           |/              ||              \|
>           /               ||               \
>          /                ||                \

Actually, there's been an exit marked FUTURE on the Balto Beltway there
ever since I can remember-- 10 or 15 years at least.

So far I haven't heard of a exit marked "PAST" in Randallstown, so I guess
it's going to be a while before we find out where the exit goes to....

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

  "For the mouse is a creature of great personal valour" -- Christopher Swift

  (the perfect quote source for net.bizarre)

fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) (08/23/85)

	> From: olson@rochester.UUCP (Thomas J. Olson)
	> Newsgroups: net.bizarre
	> Subject: Re: bizarre freeway sign
	>
  	> They're putting in a new exit on the Baltimore beltway,
	> so as you drive around Randallstown you drive under a big
	> official highway-department green sign that says
	>
        >	+------------------------------------+
        >	|                                    |
        >	|               FUTURE         -->   |
        >	|                                    |
        >	+------------------------------------+
        >	  |   /           ||           \   |
        >	  |  /            ||            \  |
        >	  | /             ||             \ |
        >	  |/              ||              \|
        >	  /               ||               \
        >	 /                ||                \
	>
	> It takes great willpower not to take that exit...

I took it once, about 20 years ago, and just look at when I got to!
--
All characters mentioned herein are fictitious. Any similarity to
actual characters, ASCII or EBCDIC is purely coincidental.

						Fred Blonder (301) 454-7690
						Fred@Maryland.{ARPA,CSNet}
						harpo!seismo!umcp-cs!fred

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (08/26/85)

In <760@ihlpa.UUCP> Daniel M. O'Brien writes:
> > There is a sign somewhere in the Smoky Mountains,
> >
> > 		+----------------+
> > 		|                |
> > 		|        ____    |
> > 		|       /    \   |
> > 		|   /   |     |  |
> > 		|  <----+----/   |
> > 		|   \   |        |
> > 		|       |        |
> > 		|       |        |
> > 		|                |
> > 		|                |
> > 		+----------------+
> >
> > Jonathan E. Quist
>
> That is just a symbolic form of signs that I have seen which read:
>
		> +----------------+
		> |   TO GO LEFT   |
		> |     MAKE 3     |
		> |   RIGHT TURNS  |
		> +----------------+

Sounds like what Reagan has spent 5 years doing.

--Evan Marcus
--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

Kids, remember, please don't try stunts like this at home.

barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (08/27/85)

> There is a sign somewhere in the Smoky Mountains,
>
> 		+----------------+
> 		|                |
> 		|        ____    |
> 		|       /    \   |
> 		|   /   |     |  |
> 		|  <----+----/   |
> 		|   \   |        |
> 		|       |        |
> 		|       |        |
> 		|                |
> 		|                |
> 		+----------------+
>
> Jonathan E. Quist

Well, I've been on that road, and the reason for that sign is that
the road really does just what the sign looks like.  Depending on
the direction you're traveling, the road passes under the bridge,
loops around, and crosses the bridge it just went under, or...
well, we're all adults here, you can probably figure out the
other possibility.  The fact that the road was constructed that
way is pretty bizarre, but the sign just accurately represents
what's going on.  Not so bizarre after all.

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

-- barnett@sally.UTEXAS.EDU, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett