[net.bizarre] Odd School Names

denn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Dennis Cornell ) (08/12/85)

I've seen odd town names, but how-about odd school team names.
Here's a few I think are odd:

1.  Hoopeston Cornjerkers (Illinois)  (Can you guess what they do
    during off time?)

2.  Potomac Artesians (Illinois)  (Named after a natural spring????)

3.  Oregon Ducks

4.  Schlarman Hilltoppers (Illinois) (In the flat lands of Central
    Illinois)

Anyone else have any that they can add to this list.  Let's see those
strange school names!!

				The Big D-

				More Smoke, I Want to Die...

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (08/13/85)

In article <> denn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Dennis Cornell ) writes:
>I've seen odd town names, but how-about odd school team names.
>Here's a few I think are odd:
>
>1.  Hoopeston Cornjerkers (Illinois)  (Can you guess what they do
>    during off time?)
>Anyone else have any that they can add to this list.  Let's see those
>strange school names!!
At the middle school I went to many years ago the cheerleading team was
called the "Wood School Beavers" (the mascot of the school was a bit
paper-mache beaver).  I do NOT think they gave any thought to modern
euphemisms when naming the cheerleaders (perhaps they were encouraging
the sports teams they were supposed to be cheering on in another way?).
						Carl Greenberg

lip@gcc-bill.ARPA (Seth Lipkin) (08/13/85)

In article <622@brl-tgr.ARPA> denn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Dennis Cornell ) writes:
>Anyone else have any that they can add to this list.  Let's see those
>strange school names!!

    How about:
        Downingtown Whippets, of Downingtown, PA

    Seth Lipkin
    General Computer Company
    harvard!gcc-bill!lip

"Is art the mirror of life, or what?"        - Woody Allen

edw@ihopa.UUCP (Edwin Windes) (08/13/85)

	untill a few years ago:
		the Peoria Chinks
--
-----
--------

			till 8/15 ||
				  \/ then back to school

				...!ihnp4!ihopa!edw
				AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, Il

	give me a break, you know how the disclaimer goes.

ccrbrian@ucdavis.UUCP (Brian Reilly) (08/14/85)

> I've seen odd town names, but how-about odd school team names.
> Here's a few I think are odd:
>
> 1.  Hoopeston Cornjerkers (Illinois)  (Can you guess what they do
>     during off time?)
>
> 2.  Potomac Artesians (Illinois)  (Named after a natural spring????)
>
> 3.  Oregon Ducks
>
> 4.  Schlarman Hilltoppers (Illinois) (In the flat lands of Central
>     Illinois)
>
> Anyone else have any that they can add to this list.  Let's see those
> strange school names!!
>
> 				The Big D-

How about the California Aggies here at U.C. Davis?  What is an
"aggie" anyway?  I have been here for three years and I am not too
sure what it means.  They call the school newspaper The California
Aggie, so it is a popular phrase.

			- Brian Reilly

--
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
     Brian Reilly                    Davis, CA 95616

bobhic@aluxe.UUCP (ADOLT) (08/15/85)

> I've seen odd town names, but how-about odd school team names.
> Here's a few I think are odd:
>
> 1.  Hoopeston Cornjerkers (Illinois)  (Can you guess what they do
>     during off time?)
>
> 2.  Potomac Artesians (Illinois)  (Named after a natural spring????)
>
> 3.  Oregon Ducks
>
> 4.  Schlarman Hilltoppers (Illinois) (In the flat lands of Central
>     Illinois)
>
> Anyone else have any that they can add to this list.  Let's see those
> strange school names!!

O.K., how about the Allen High School - CANARYS
in Allentown, PA., who play their
football games, etc. in - (J. Birney) CRUM statium.

bjanz@watarts.UUCP (Bruce Janz) (08/15/85)

In article <441@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrbrian@ucdavis.UUCP (Brian Reilly) writes:
>> I've seen odd town names, but how-about odd school team names.
>> Here's a few I think are odd:
>>
>> 1.  Hoopeston Cornjerkers (Illinois)  (Can you guess what they do
>>     during off time?)
>>
>> 2.  Potomac Artesians (Illinois)  (Named after a natural spring????)
>>
>> 3.  Oregon Ducks
>>
>> 4.  Schlarman Hilltoppers (Illinois) (In the flat lands of Central
>>     Illinois)
>>
>> Anyone else have any that they can add to this list.  Let's see those
>> strange school names!!
>>
>> 				The Big D-
>
>How about the California Aggies here at U.C. Davis?  What is an
>"aggie" anyway?  I have been here for three years and I am not too
>sure what it means.  They call the school newspaper The California
>Aggie, so it is a popular phrase.

Actually, Aggies are farmers & the like (agricultural students).

In Saskatchewan, there's a high school team named the Notre Dame Hounds.

--

Reality is for those who have no imagination. . .

                                  b janz

          watmath!watarts!bjanz     OR     watmath!watdcs!bbjanz

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (08/17/85)

On the drive between this university and Yerkes Observatory,
one passes the

		Big Hollow Middle School

Either the architect was Henry Moore or the cafeteria is
worse than most.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (08/17/85)

> I've seen odd town names, but how-about odd school team names.
> Here's a few I think are odd:
>
> 1.  Hoopeston Cornjerkers (Illinois)  (Can you guess what they do
>     during off time?)
>
> 2.  Potomac Artesians (Illinois)  (Named after a natural spring????)
>
> 3.  Oregon Ducks
>
> 4.  Schlarman Hilltoppers (Illinois) (In the flat lands of Central
>     Illinois)
>
> Anyone else have any that they can add to this list.  Let's see those
> strange school names!!

I don't really think this is so strange, but everyone else does.  The school
team name of my high school was the "Astoria Fighting Fishermen" (the town
is on the north Oregon coast).

The "Oregon Ducks" in the above, reminds me of a bar story.  Seems one year
U of O was in about the bottom of the PAC10 conference (as usual), and the
USC Trojans (there's another name for you) were about number 2.  Well, after
a grueling football game at Autzen stadium in Eugene, the final score ended in
a tie, 7-7.  Well, as far as the U of O people were concerned, this was as
good as a win.  Throughout the evening, as my group of friends and I walked
around campus and hit the college bars, we would sit at a table and wait for a
reletively quiet moment.  Then, we (our group of 5) would start banging our
mugs on the table and chant (rather loudly) "THE DUCKS! THE DUCKS!"   Pretty
soon, other patrons would join in, and within a minute, we would have the
whole bar yelling "THE DUCKS! THE DUCKS!".  After about 2 minutes of
obnoxiousness, it would all subside.  We would then wait about a half hour
and do it again.  The adrenaline was really flowing in Eugene that evening,
and we proceded with this routine and half hour intervals at various
establishments until closing time (2 AM in Oregon).  We never failed to get
other people to join in, nor did we ever get removed from anywhere.  A good
time was had by all.

                                     -- Walt Tucker
                                        Tektronix, Inc.

                                       -- Walt Tucker

tim@unisoft.UUCP (Tim Bessie) (08/24/85)

In highschool, the soccer team was the Santa Cruz High Muskrats.

					- Tim

---

           "I am the *real* Marquis... the Marquis of Carumbas!"

---> Tim Bessie ----- {ucbvax,dual}!unisoft!tim
---> Unisoft Systems; 739 Allston Way; Berkeley, CA 94710
---> (415) 644-1230   TWX II 910 366-2145

bill@persci.UUCP (08/26/85)

In article <1136@ihuxn.UUCP> gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
>Don't forget the Pekin Chinks (Pekin, Ill.)  Actually, there was
>a big flap about that team name a year or so ago when some
>namby-pamby, limp-wristed, bleeding-heart liberals suggested that
>the name was racist or something.  Got national press.  They're
>still the Pekin Chinks.  "Don't say 'Chinks'.  'Chinks' is bigotted."

Actually, wasn't that name from around the old pioneer days, when log
cabins didn't have transparent glass windows and the peeping toms had to
peek in chinks?

--
This .signature intentionally not left blank.
   {decvax,skivax,turtlevax,sexvax,beesvax,earvax,blackvax,floorvax}!/dev/null

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (08/27/85)

bobm@rtech.UUCP (Bob Mcqueer) says:

>By the way, didn't some school in the midwest have a vote among the
>students for the team name, and the vote turned out:
>
>"The Screaming Thunderchickens"

I LIKE THAT!  They got my vote!

--
\"\t\f1A\h'+1m'\f4\(mo\h'+1m'\f1the\h'+1m'\f4\(es\t\f1\c

                                                       Terry Grevstad
                                         Network Research Corporation
	                 {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry
                                            ucbvax!calma!nrcvax!terry