[net.bizarre] Missing Pets

ljp@trwrba.UUCP (Laura J. Pearlman) (08/17/85)

A friend of mine has lost four fish over the last few months, and we have no
idea what happened to them.  Did they run away?  Has someone been breaking
into his apartment and stealing them, one by one?

The missing fish are "neon tetras" and were last seen in an aquarium in an
apartment outside Seattle.  If you think you may have seen any of them or
have any information that may help us find them, please let me know.  No
questions asked.

		Laura Pearlman
		{ucbvax,hplabs,ihnp4}!trwrb!ljp

Living vicariously is the next best thing to being there.

crandell@ut-sally.UUCP (Jim Crandell) (08/20/85)

> A friend of mine has lost four fish over the last few months, and we have no
> idea what happened to them.  Did they run away?  Has someone been breaking
> into his apartment and stealing them, one by one?
>
> The missing fish are "neon tetras" and were last seen in an aquarium....

It may be necessary to leave some lights on at all times.  Certain neon
devices suffer from the so-called ``dark effect'' (i.e., the effective
ionization potential is affected by the ambient photon flux).
--

    Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin
               {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!crandell

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (08/20/85)

> It may be necessary to leave some lights on at all times.  Certain neon
> devices suffer from the so-called ``dark effect'' (i.e., the effective
> ionization potential is affected by the ambient photon flux).
>     Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin

Sure, sure, go ahead ... don't worry about the poor astronomers, trying to
solve the riddle of the universe despite all that light pollution ...
grumble ... snarl ...

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

judith@proper.UUCP (Judith Abrahms) (08/20/85)

In article <> ljp@trwrba.UUCP (Laura J. Pearlman) writes:
>A friend of mine has lost four fish over the last few months, and we have no
>idea what happened to them.  Did they run away?  Has someone been breaking
>into his apartment and stealing them, one by one?
>
>The missing fish are "neon tetras"...

Check the floor.  Tetras sometimes jump.

Judith Abrahms
{ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!proper!judith
You teach your daughters the diameters of the planets, and wonder when you
have done that they do not delight in your company.
						    -- Dr. Johnson

vishniac@wanginst.UUCP (Ephraim Vishniac) (08/20/85)

> A friend of mine has lost four fish over the last few months, and we have no
> idea what happened to them.  Did they run away?  Has someone been breaking
> into his apartment and stealing them, one by one?
>
> The missing fish are "neon tetras" and were last seen in an aquarium in an
> apartment outside Seattle.  If you think you may have seen any of them or
> have any information that may help us find them, please let me know.  No
> questions asked.
>
> 		Laura Pearlman
> 		{ucbvax,hplabs,ihnp4}!trwrb!ljp

I think I've seen your fish.  New England Aquarium, second level, near the
giant lobster.  Since this is an interstate matter, call the FBI.

--
Ephraim Vishniac
  [apollo, bbncca, cadmus, decvax, harvard, linus, masscomp]!wanginst!vishniac

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (08/20/85)

In article <> ljp@trwrba.UUCP (Laura J. Pearlman) writes:

>A friend of mine has lost four fish over the last few months, and we have no
>idea what happened to them.  Did they run away?  Has someone been breaking
>into his apartment and stealing them, one by one?
>
>The missing fish are "neon tetras" and were last seen in an aquarium in an
>apartment outside Seattle.  If you think you may have seen any of them or
>have any information that may help us find them, please let me know.  No
>questions asked.

I would check if they're hanging out in bizarrely shaped tubing serving
as cheap lights for a bar without electricity.

marlinw@tekcrl.UUCP (Marlin Wilson) (08/21/85)

And, hey, I'm missing a couple of socks: one navy blue dress sock (answers
to 'BlueBoy') and one white tube sock (from a new pair, so I hadn't named
him yet) with those green and yellow stripes -- green on top.  Both socks
had a hole in one end and BlueBoy was prone to leave a trail of lint.  If
you hear about them, please let me know, I've been really worried.  You
never know what kind of riff-raff they'll meet on the street, hanging
around in cheap laundromats, getting accosted by long underware, probably
getting into...into...fabric softeners (sob!!).  I'm sorry, I'm sorry, oh
please come back... I'll get the Bleach,Borax and Whiteners you wanted!
You've got a great future ahead of you, don't ruin it...

-------
Marlin Wilson

This message has been brought to you by Wiz!, the all purpose
denture cream.

jeff1@garfield.UUCP (Jeff Sparkes) (08/22/85)

	Hmmm.  I noticed that there were some extra tetras in my fish
tank lately.  Maybe they fell into a cross-continental international
fish-sucking wormhole.  Tell me the names of the missing fish, and I'll
ask mine about the strangers.  If they are your friends fish, I'll mail
them back.
	On the other hand, maybe they were eaten by a wandering guar.

					Jeff Sparkes
				{utcsri,akgua,mcvax}!garfield!jeff1

P.s.  Does anybody know how to get slugs out of a fish tank without killing
      the fish?

johno@tekchips.UUCP (John Ollis) (08/22/85)

> A friend of mine has lost four fish over the last few months, and we have no
> idea what happened to them.  Did they run away?  Has someone been breaking
> into his apartment and stealing them, one by one?
> 		Laura Pearlman
> 		{ucbvax,hplabs,ihnp4}!trwrb!ljp

Try sprinkling salt around the fish tank!

--johno

judith@proper.UUCP (Judith Abrahms) (08/25/85)

In article <> ljp@trwrba.UUCP (Laura J. Pearlman) writes:
>In article <230@proper.UUCP> judith@proper.UUCP (judith) writes:
>> Check the floor.  Tetras sometimes jump.
>
>I resent the implication that my friend drove his fish to suicide.  When I
>send him a copy of your article, I'm going to suggest that he sue you for
>libel.
>
>See you in court.

Bring Liz Vaughan with you!  She drove her gourami to attempt suicide over and
over, and kept putting him back in the tank!  Torturer!  If a friendly cat
hadn't taken pity on the poor creature known ironically to his sneering captors
as "the Leaper" [!!!], he might be living and suffering still!

Be a pleasure to go to court over this.  You guys can split the legal fees...
I'll have the ASPCA in my corner!

Judith Abrahms
Defender of REAL helpless tiny creatures
"The sames should stay with the sames, and the differents should stay with the
differents."  -- A. Bunker

Judith Abrahms                     "The sames should stay with the sames, and
{ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!proper!judith   the differents should stay with the
                                    differents."         -- A. Bunker

In article <> judith@proper.UUCP (judith) writes:

>Judith Abrahms
>Defender of REAL helpless tiny creatures
>"The sames should stay with the sames, and the differents should stay with the
>differents."  -- A. Bunker
>
>--
>Judith Abrahms                     "The sames should stay with the sames, and
>{ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!proper!judith   the differents should stay with the
>                                    differents."         -- A. Bunker

Oh YAARGHHHHH!  The damned thing appends your .signature file ALL BY ITSELF!

Don't read this post!

chris@scgvaxd.UUCP (Chris Yoder) (08/26/85)

In article <232@tekcrl.UUCP> marlinw@tekcrl.UUCP (Mr Wilson to you, bub) writes:
>And, hey, I'm missing a couple of socks: one navy blue dress sock (answers
>to 'BlueBoy') and one white tube sock (from a new pair, so I hadn't named
>him yet) with those green and yellow stripes -- green on top.

Did you find some extra socks around?  I've heard that there is a teleport
mechanism in the back of dryers that socks use to go from one place to
another, but they usually trade places...

--
				-- Chris Yoder

UUCP --- {allegra|ihnp4}!scgvaxd!engvax!chris

<Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you...>

{  The opinions here are representative of Huge Aircrash, not me and
   *especially* not of my poor little keyboard.    8-)=
}

ljp@trwrba.UUCP (Laura J. Pearlman) (08/27/85)

In article <2714@ut-sally.UUCP> crandell@ut-sally.UUCP (Jim Crandell) writes:

>> The missing fish are "neon tetras" and were last seen in an aquarium....
>
>It may be necessary to leave some lights on at all times.  Certain neon
>devices suffer from the so-called ``dark effect'' (i.e., the effective
>ionization potential is affected by the ambient photon flux).

That may be it!  When he first got his fish, my friend used to cover the
aquarium with a blanket every night because he thought they were parakeets.

No, wait a minute -- that was my mother, not my friend with the fish, and it
was a birdcage, not an aquarium, and it turns out she really does have a
parakeet, after all.

Never mind.

		Laura Pearlman
		{hplabs,ihnp4,ucbvax}!trwrb!ljp