[net.bizarre] Bizarre sign

dlo@drutx.UUCP (OlsonDL) (08/19/85)

Sign seen on a restaurant door in Denver:

    ----------------------
    |                    |
    |    WE ALSO HAVE    |
    |      MENUS IN      |
    |      BRIALLE       |
    |                    |
    ----------------------

People who need a Braille menu can't read the sign.
People who can read the sign don't need a Braille menu.

David Olson
..!ihnp4!drutx!dlo

"To laugh at men of sense is the privilege of fools". -- Jean de la Bruyere

gkloker@utai.UUCP (Geoff Loker) (08/19/85)

I saw this sign in Watkin's Glen, New York, a couple of years ago:
         ______________________________________
        |   Back-To-School Special:            |
        |         Pig Feed  -  $5.99           |
        |______________________________________|
I can just imagine all the parents racing out to get some for their
kids.
--
Geoff Loker
Department of Computer Science

USENET:	{ihnp4 decwrl utzoo uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!gkloker
CSNET:		gkloker@toronto
ARPANET:	gkloker.toronto@csnet-relay

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (08/21/85)

In article <198@drutx.UUCP> dlo@drutx.UUCP (OlsonDL) writes:
>Sign seen on a restaurant door in Denver:
>
>    ----------------------
>    |                    |
>    |    WE ALSO HAVE    |
>    |      MENUS IN      |
>    |      BRIALLE       |
>    |                    |
>    ----------------------
>
>People who need a Braille menu can't read the sign.
>People who can read the sign don't need a Braille menu.

One of the local T.V. stations has an ad about the plight of the
illiterate.  At the end, they place a lettered display on the screen
reading:

	If you have trouble reading
		Phone
	      XXX-XXXX

judith@proper.UUCP (Judith Abrahms) (08/22/85)

>    ----------------------
>    |                    |
>    |    WE ALSO HAVE    |
>    |      MENUS IN      |
>    |      BRIALLE       |
>    |        ^^          |
>    ----------------------
>
>People who need a Braille menu can't read the sign.
>People who can read the sign don't need a Braille menu.

And if the people who put out the Braille menu can't spell... !  Never thought
about Braille typos!

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (08/22/85)

In article <198@drutx.UUCP> dlo@drutx.UUCP (OlsonDL) writes:
>Sign seen on a restaurant door in Denver:
>
>    ----------------------
>    |                    |
>    |    WE ALSO HAVE    |
>    |      MENUS IN      |
>    |      BRIALLE       |
>    |                    |
>    ----------------------
>
>People who need a Braille menu can't read the sign.
>People who can read the sign don't need a Braille menu.
>

>David Olson
>..!ihnp4!drutx!dlo
>
>"To laugh at men of sense is the privilege of fools". -- Jean de la Bruyere

No, no, no!  That's Brialle!  It's a little town in the mountains about
halfway between Steamboat Springs and Craig, but south a little.

--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) (08/23/85)

	> From: dlo@drutx.UUCP (OlsonDL)
	> Newsgroups: net.bizarre
	> Subject: Bizarre sign
	>
	> Sign seen on a restaurant door in Denver:
	>
	>    ----------------------
	>    |                    |
	>    |    WE ALSO HAVE    |
	>    |      MENUS IN      |
	>    |      BRIALLE       |
	>    |                    |
	>    ----------------------
	>
	> People who need a Braille menu can't read the sign.
	> People who can read the sign don't need a Braille menu.

In Alexandria, VA a restaurant has the sign in its window:

			We serve shrimps and crabs,
			tall people and some pretty
			nice people too.

There are TWO ways to interpret that sign. I haven't gone in to find
out which one is correct.
--
All characters mentioned herein are fictitious. Any similarity to
actual characters, ASCII or EBCDIC is purely coincidental.

						Fred Blonder (301) 454-7690
						Fred@Maryland.{ARPA,CSNet}
						harpo!seismo!umcp-cs!fred

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (08/26/85)

ILLITERATE?

Write for free help.

LITERACY
Washington, DC 20202

--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development

sutin@astrovax.UUCP (Brian M. Sutin) (08/29/85)

	Seen in a San Diego restaurant men's restroom door:

		Please Wash Your Hands
	   ( Or At Least Lick Your Fingers )

Brian Sutin
Princeton University -- astrovax!sutin

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (09/05/85)

> People who need a Braille menu can't read the sign.
> People who can read the sign don't need a Braille menu.

This reminds me of a sign at the 21st Avenue crosswalk outside Vanderbilt
Hospital in Nashville.  It is a specially-designed crossing for blind people;
there is a beeper that beeps when you are supposed to cross the street,
and right under the beeper is a sign that says "please cross on the North
side of the street."
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

	Uryc!  Gurl'er cnvagvat zl bssvpr oyhr!  Jung n qrcerffvat pbybe...