[net.bizarre] Homeboys explained!

ee161bep@sdcc3.UUCP (Paul Van de Graaf) (09/03/85)

In my lap I have a book called "All You Need to Know About RAPPIN'" by
Grandmaster Blaster (and several ghosts).  My sister gave it to me as a
gag gift... she was taking break-dancing lessons at the time.

Disclaimer:  Although I have been called at times an "inside-out Oreo", to my
	     knowledge I have never been and probably never will be black.

The book describes a Homeboy as "a close friend".  Sort of the urban black
equivalent of a "good old boy".  The book also has a section on rappin'
vocabulary complete with translations from "Jive" to "Boring English".

Some of the more interesting phrases appear below:

Chill   	cool, "bad".		Rough		very good job; well done
Chillin' out    hanging out.		Throw some bass		talk to a girl.
Crib  		one's home.		Wack		no good; lousy.
Def  		nice, attractive.	Word		a fact; an agreement.
Fresh		fantastic, beautiful.	Zooted		all partied out.

Here are some translations:

	Rap Language				Boring English
    Say def rap, Say def rap,		|    This rap is about great raps:
    Homeboys go off when I def rap	|    my friends dance when I rap well.
    Around our way I see a crew so wack |    In my neighborhood I saw a really
    But my spin's so bad		|    crummy break-dance crew, but I
    It brings the biddies back		|    started doing my fantastic headspin
					|    and that attracted some women.
    Say motion, Say motion		|    Now this rap is about an exciting
    Say loco, loco, loco-motion		|    song:  listen to it when I play it
    Check out my jam when it's on the   |    on my portable stereo because it's
    box;  When you're chillin' out      |    really great, especially when
    'Cause it really rocks		|    you're relaxing.
    Say rough noise, Say tough noise,   |    This rap is about really great
    Say gather-at-my-crib you b-boys    |    music:  All the people who love rap
    They know my rappin's wild,         |    come to my house because my rappin'
    An' my mixin's a must,		|    is out of this world.  I'm the best
    I am the treach'rous one-           |    rapper around.
    I rate A plus.			|

I guess you get the idea, now for the bizarre part.  I'm working on a
computerized rapper.  Similar to those automated poets like Ractor and others.
When I get my Midi port so I can hook up my drum-machine, I'll write some
software to syncronize the drum machine and my voice synthesizer.  I'm using
the SSI chip, so I have control over inflection and pitch.  The random rap
software was pretty easy... you don't have to worry so much about bein'
gramatical :-).  I think I'll spare you from reading a random rap, but the
stuff really isn't much worse than the real thing.  It's at its best when I
have it rappin' 'bout itself, the typical boasting crap that almost all
rappers do.

	"I rap it fast at 20 mips; cause I'm full of microchips"

Paul van de Graaf	sdcsvax!sdcc3!ee161bep		U. C. San Diego

tewok@gymble.UUCP (Wayne Morrison) (09/06/85)

In article <2979@sdcc3.UUCP> ee161bep@sdcc3.UUCP (Paul Van de Graaf) writes:

>I guess you get the idea, now for the bizarre part.  I'm working on a
>computerized rapper.  Similar to those automated poets like Ractor and others.
>When I get my Midi port so I can hook up my drum-machine, I'll write some
>software to syncronize the drum machine and my voice synthesizer.  I'm using
>the SSI chip, so I have control over inflection and pitch.  The random rap
>software was pretty easy... you don't have to worry so much about bein'
>gramatical :-).  I think I'll spare you from reading a random rap, but the
>stuff really isn't much worse than the real thing.  It's at its best when I
>have it rappin' 'bout itself, the typical boasting crap that almost all
>rappers do.
>
>	"I rap it fast at 20 mips; cause I'm full of microchips"
>
>Paul van de Graaf	sdcsvax!sdcc3!ee161bep		U. C. San Diego

Paul, don't worry about posting or not posting an example of random rap.
Post the source!  How could you deprive us of the program that we've
been waiting for?  We too want to be able to speak ungrammatically and
un-understandably.  Do your friends on net.bizarre a favor and post your
rap program.  From the bottom of our feet, we thank you.

--
"I love the feel of plastic.  It makes me hot!"       - T.J. Tarou

				Wayne Morrison (301)454-7690
				tewok@gymble.ARPA
				seismo!umcp-cs!tewok