[net.bizarre] Submitted for your approval...

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (08/31/85)

Submitted for your approval, the following scenario. A small, west coast
research lab, looking for a way to destroy the communication capabilities
of an unfriendly foreign nation. We meet now, Irving Finkelstein, slight of
hair, bald of mind, and innocently about to unleash the ultimate weapon --
upon his own kind. The time is now, the place is here, the story is true.
Follow us, now, into the realm of the sublime, the useless, the
overwhelming. Open the door, and join us in -- the bizarre zone

{doo-dee-doo-dee-doo-dee-doo-dee-doo-dee-doo-dee-doo-dee-doo-dee}

Yes, the ultimate weapon, under design at the cost of billions of dollars
and years of development, has unfortunately been unleashed upon the
unwilling innocents of our own Usenet. Net.bizarre, originally designed to
completely destroy the communication ability of our enemies in times of
national emergency, has unfortunately leaked out into our own communication
facilities.

I think we should seriously consider whether or not net.bizarre is an
abject failure -- one of those experiments that simply didn't work out. The
information in that group is overwhelming, not terribly interesting, and
doesn't even begin towards the bizarre... We should cut our losses before
the volume gets any worse -- the last thing this net needs is another
useless volume generator...

The question is -- we've stumbled into the bizarre zone. Can we find our
way home before its too late? Toto? Where are you, toto?

Now, repeat after me, and click your heels three times -- "there's no place
like home, there's no place like home..."

[of course, every cloud has a silver lining -- net.bizarre has definitively
shown that there is the possibility for worse endings than an eternity
reading net.flame.....]
--
Chuq Von Rospach nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA {decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!chuqui

Son, you're mixing ponderables again

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (09/03/85)

My opinion about net.bizarre, which I offer to everybody, is that it has been
very funny, and a true pleasure to read.  I have enjoyed having it around
for most of its lifetime.  I must admit that lately the ratio of winners to
losers has been declining, but nonetheless, it is still entertaining enough.

If it has done nothing else, it has found a place for some of this stuff
that had been appearing in net.flame for so long, when they didn't belong.
If net.bizarre were taken away, things like bizarre street and town names
would probably propagate back to net.flame.  yecch.

Let's keep it.  At least for now.  (And find a way to get the bizarre
stuff out of net.misc.)

--Evan Marcus
--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

So what if it's dangerous...as long as it's fun.

chabot@miles.DEC (All God's chillun got guns) (09/05/85)

> I think we should seriously consider whether or not net.bizarre is an
> abject failure -- one of those experiments that simply didn't work out. The
> information in that group is overwhelming, not terribly interesting, and
> doesn't even begin towards the bizarre... We should cut our losses before
> the volume gets any worse -- the last thing this net needs is another
> useless volume generator...

Hey, come on Chuq, it's not like you haven't participated with dull postings
in net.bizarre.

SLo BatCh   ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot

judith@proper.UUCP (Judith Abrahms) (09/07/85)

In article <> evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
>If [net.bizarre] has done nothing else, it has found a place for some of this
stuff
>that had been appearing in net.flame for so long, when they didn't belong.
>If net.bizarre were taken away, things like bizarre street and town names
>would probably propagate back to net.flame.  yecch.

When the removal of net.flame was being discussed, some of that group's
defenders argued that if net.flame went, like a burst appendix it would spew
its drivelous posts and nasty remarks all over the net.  The argument went that
net.flame was a filter that kept the other groups relatively (:-) polite &
wholesome.

Now we have an argument that net.bizarre is acting as a filter to keep
net.flame interesting!

Next we should have a new group, net.silly, to filter out tedious articles from
net.bizarre... then, perhaps, to keep net.silly minimally readable, yet another
"filter" group, perhaps called net.downright.stupid!

J.A.
{ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!proper!judith
"The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's
the way you bet."  -- Damon Runyon