[net.bizarre] Words that aren't words but we know their meaning anyway

inc@fluke.UUCP (Ensign Benson, Time Cadet) (09/04/85)

*** NO NEED TO SHOUT, MIGHTY MESSAGE WRITER ***

In article <465@petfe.UUCP>, Evan Marcus writes:

> Anyone ever consider all the words that aren't words, but if these words
> were words, we'd already know what they meant?  (Huh?)
>
> I think the best way to illustrate is with examples:
>
> We know what non-chalant is, but how about chalant.  Chalant is not a word,
> yet if it were, it would clearly be the opposite of non-chalant.
>
> Any other suggestions?

Well, I thought there'd be lots of these in the 'non' and 'un' sections of
my booktionary, but only came up with these additions to the list:

nonplussed   ...  plussed
nonpareil    ...  pareil
Unitarian*   ...  Multitarian

    *NOT a trademark of ATT

Here are the few I came up with on my own:

    Microencephalogram
    Device that measures really small brainwaves.

    Macrobiotic
    Gigantic life forms (whales, dinasaurs, God).

    Robotoid
    A lifeform that resembles a robot.

    Macromicrobiotoid
    Big robots that resemble tiny lifeforms.

    Macrobotoid
    1) A large robotoid. 2) Apple Macintosh program that designs robotoids.

    Macrobotoidomicroencephelograhy
    1) The measurement of small-scale brain activity in large-scale
    creatures by a lifeform resembling a robot. 2) Apple Macintosh program
    that measures small-scale brain activity of robotoids.

Other words I discovered, but could not define, were:

    Macrobiomicrorobotoid
    Microtoidal
    Biotoid

--
			       Ensign Benson
			       -Time  Cadet-

    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-The Digital Circus, Sector R-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

shp@crystal.UUCP (09/05/85)

> Unitarian*   ...  Multitarian
>
>     *NOT a trademark of ATT

	The correct opposite is Trinitarian (from the Trinity -- get it?).
    I have never been able to understand how 3 == 1 is true (I'm a
    Unitarian PK).... perhaps I shall take this to net.puzzles.math?

	=shp

    [ Steve Patterson, Computer Sciences, UW - Madison ]

	"OOOOhhhh, THAT orc!"

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (09/12/85)

*** EXO-ASTERISKS MADE MY DAY ***

>> Unitarian*   ...  Multitarian
>>
>>     *NOT a trademark of ATT
>>
>>  Gary Benson, John Fluke Mfg. Co, Paul Shaeffer Division

> 	The correct opposite is Trinitarian (from the Trinity -- get it?).
>     I have never been able to understand how 3 == 1 is true (I'm a
>     Unitarian PK).... perhaps I shall take this to net.puzzles.math?
>
>     [ Steve Patterson, Computer Sciences, UW - Madison ]

Well Steve, since you're in Mad City (my home town - GO BADGERS!) I'll take
a few minutes to give you the straight poop.

A Unitarian is a person who believes that 1 = 1. Multitarians believe that
some other number equals one. In your case, as with most Trinitarians, the
number is 3, but how about all those other subsects of Multitarianism?
Binarists think 2 is the be-all and end-all. (We've got LOADS of them around
here.) Cinquaseptagenariasts on the other hand are convinced it's 27. I've
heard that the Zeroastrians and Googleplexians intend to merge into one Holy
Catholic Apostolic Multinational Public Interest Research Group. Purely
rumor, of course.

Hope that clears things up.

--
 Gary Benson  *  John Fluke Mfg. Co.  *  PO Box C9090  *  Everett WA  *  98206
   MS/232-E  = =   {allegra} {uw-beaver} !fluke!inc   = =   (206)356-5367