[net.bizarre] Bizarre Geography

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (08/26/85)

While we're on the subject of bizarre places, Ohio has some dillies.
Everybody dig out your Rand McNally road atlas (you know, the one
you buy for $4 at K Mart) and open it up to the Northern Ohio pages.

Let's see now, at NG 13 (on lake Erie, half way between Toledo and
Cleveland, for you cheaters with brand X maps) we have Sandusky.
(Home of the famous Cedar Point tourist trap your radio is bombarding
you with ads for.) Now, at NK 10 (on route 23 south of Findlay, about
50 miles and three counties away) we have Upper Sandusky.  And of course
don't miss Sandusky County at NG 10, which does not include either of
these cities.

Moving right along, we have Lima at NL 5 (on I75 south of Findlay.)
Not to be confused with North Lima, which is clear on the other side
of the state at NJ 25 (on I76 south of Youngstown.)  It is, fortunately,
a few miles north of Lima, but it's also 200 miles east.

Now, the notion that North X should be north of X is of course completely
foreign to Ohio.  But that's nothing.  Violation of the "Unique Name within
subdivison" principle we've is not original on UUCP.  Ohio's been doing
it for years.  If you look up Fredericktown in the index in the back, you'll
see it at NN 14, south of Mansfield but north of Mount Vernon.  Now, if
you move all the way east to NL 25, just north of East Liverpool (of course,
there is no Liverpool to be east of), you'll see, what's this, Fredericktown!
Hmm.  Must make life at the post office interesting.

Now check out NQ 13, just northeast of Columbus on route 62.  You'll see
a small town called New Albany.  I've been there, it really exists and
there is at least one resident who is on the net (although their phone
company expanded their office by driving a truck up to the building and
putting phone switch in it.)  Now follow route 62 to the northeast,
past Canton (home of the NFL hall of fame for some bizarre reason)
and Alliance and Salem, but not quite to Youngstown, at NJ 24 (that
explains it, New Jersey somehow caused all this!)  There's another
New Albany.  I've driven through this one too, it's just an intersection
with a general store and a race track.  But I've always wondered what
happens to mail addressed to "Route 62, New Albany, Ohio".

presley@mhuxj.UUCP (Joe Presley) (08/26/85)

This isn't really bizarre, but in NJ, we have North Plainfield,
Plainfield, and South Plainfield.  North Plainfield borders Plainfield
which borders South Plainfield.  Each one is in a different county.

Warren Township is in Somerset County, but there's a Warren County.

The zip codes for Plainfield, North Plainfield, Watchung, and Warren are
all 07060.  Each town has a Mountain Avenue (Road).
--
Joe Presley (whuxl!presley)

krahl@druky.UUCP (KrahlRH) (08/27/85)

[Line Eater!!! Come and get it!, here's a nice juicy line to EAT!!   G U L P !!]
I think brain wires have been crossed with misc netties and bizarre netties.
PLEASE rewire (only a qualified technician dare doit!)

WHY are we getting net.misc articles in net.bizarre and vice versa??????????????
WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY

--
       ___
     /\\   \
    | N K Z |   No Krahl Zone !!!
     \  \\ /
       ---             {the-known-galaxy}!drutx!druky!krahl

allen@bunker.UUCP (C. Allen Grabert) (08/27/85)

> I think brain wires have been crossed with misc netties and bizarre netties.
> PLEASE rewire (only a qualified technician dare doit!)
>
>        ---             {the-known-galaxy}!drutx!druky!krahl

Speaking of crossed wires and bizarreness, if you want to hear a slightly
bizarre song try "Crossed Wires" by XTC.  It can only marginally be called
music...(I don't recall what album it's on.)
--

                     Back on the freeway, which is already in progress,
		     Allen Grabert (...ittatc!bunker!allen)

judith@proper.UUCP (Judith Abrahms) (08/27/85)

In article <> presley@mhuxj.UUCP (Joe Presley) writes:
>This isn't really bizarre, but in NJ, we have North Plainfield,
>Plainfield, and South Plainfield.  North Plainfield borders Plainfield
>which borders South Plainfield.  Each one is in a different county.

... thereby becoming the leading contender in our newly established
"THIS ISN'T REALLY BIZARRE, BUT..." division of the LEAST BIZARRE POST
COMPETITION.

Keep it up, guys!

Judith Abrahms
{ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!proper!judith

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (08/27/85)

->This isn't really bizarre, but in NJ, we have North Plainfield,
->Plainfield, and South Plainfield.  North Plainfield borders Plainfield
->which borders South Plainfield.  Each one is in a different county.

->Warren Township is in Somerset County, but there's a Warren County.

->The zip codes for Plainfield, North Plainfield, Watchung, and Warren are
->all 07060.  Each town has a Mountain Avenue (Road).
->--
->Joe Presley (whuxl!presley)

Actually, I'm from near there too.  One bizarre thing is that the local
high school are Bridgewater Raritan East and Brigewater Raritan West,
making the popular T-shirts for the former that say:

	      _____[==]_____
             /              \
             |__|B.R.EAST|__|
                |        |
                |________|

   '`'`'`'
    Ken
   '`'`'`

kaufman@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA (08/27/85)

/* Written 10:30 pm  Aug 25, 1985 by mark@cbosgd.UUCP in uiucdcs:net.bizarre */
[...]

/* End of text from uiucdcs:net.bizarre */

And just to add confusion to all of this, neither New Albany is listed in the
index in the back of the Rand McNally.

Ken Kaufman (uiucdcs!kaufman)
"Here are the car keys.  Careful, I had them in the oven."

david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) (08/28/85)

Here in New Jersey (where you can be lost forever just yards from an
Interstate), we have East Hanover Township, just 5 miles from Bell Labs at
Whippany. *North* Hanover Township is about 75 miles southwest...

davew@shark.UUCP (Dave Williams) (08/29/85)

In article <311@mhuxj.UUCP> presley@mhuxj.UUCP (Joe Presley) writes:
>This isn't really bizarre, but in NJ, we have North Plainfield,
>Plainfield, and South Plainfield.  North Plainfield borders Plainfield

That's not so great! Here in Oregon we have a Bend and a North Bend.
Bend sits right in the center of the state and North Bend is on the
coast about 150 miles away SW of Bend.
--

                                    Dave Williams
                                    Tektronix, Inc.

    "The 6000 Family"
"The workstations that made
    Wilsonville famous."

asu@watarts.UUCP (Arts Student Union) (08/29/85)

In article <956@bunker.UUCP> allen@bunker.UUCP (C. Allen Grabert) writes:
>Speaking of crossed wires and bizarreness, if you want to hear a slightly
>bizarre song try "Crossed Wires" by XTC.  It can only marginally be called
>music...(I don't recall what album it's on.)
>--

MARGINAL????????? It's brilliant.
Actually, XTC is known ( but only to those who know ) for unusual
as opposed to usual music as opposed to noise. I know that noise is
relative, who knows noise as a friend from Boise i know never said.
The joys of noise often cloys with boys who floies annd doisebloiees
koiessoies eisenboies flterrbackensoys and stuff.

waltervj@dartvax.UUCP (walter jeffries) (09/13/85)

If you head west to Rutland, Vt you'll pass a sign telling you that it's
42 miles down the road, as you continue you'll pass over the beautifull rolling,
(difficult to hold them down as they're so big and stubborn) hills of Vermont,
and eventually come to another sign advicing you than now you've only 52 miles
to Rutland...

   -Walter, in wonderment...

"There is an irrational explination for everything." wvj.