[net.bizarre] The Tibetan Memory Trick

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (08/28/85)

There is something called The Tibetan Memory Trick. It consists of repeating
increasingly long lines of weird (bizarre?) stuff. I believe it starts with
something like:

1 duck
2 squawking geese
3 portulent porpoises

it goes up to 10, and the lines get much much longer as you go.

My question is, does anyone know it?  I have never been able to get a copy of
it.  The Turtles (Flo & Eddie) used to do it in concert.

--Evan Marcus
--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

It's raisins that make Post Raisin Bran so raisiny,
It's raisins that make Post Raisin Bran so raisiny,
More raisins, lots more raisins, more raisins than you have ever seen before.
If you like raisins, lots more raisins, you'll like Post Raisin Bran mo-o-ore.

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (08/30/85)

> There is something called The Tibetan Memory Trick.
> The Turtles (Flo & Eddie) used to do it in concert.
>
> --Evan Marcus

With all apologies to Flo and Eddie, and with fear from their agent because
this is posted without permission:

	One Hen
	Two Ducks
	Three Squawking Geese
	Four Limerick Oysters
	Five Corpulent Porpoises
	Six Pairs of Don Alversos Tweezeers
	Seven Thoudand Macedonians in Full Battle Array
	Eight Brass Monkeys from the Ancient Sacred Crypt of Egypt
	Nine Apathetic, Sympathetic, Diabetic Old Men on Roller Skates \
		with a Marked Propensity toward Procrastination and Sloth
	Ten Lyrical, Spherical, Diabolical Denizens of the Deep, who hold
		Quay among the Quo in the Quivvy of the Quarry, \
		ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

<is this bizarre? If not, do I win the LEAST BIZARRE POSTING contest?>

jeq@laidbak.UUCP (Jonathan E. Quist) (09/01/85)

In article <458@petfe.UUCP> evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
>There is something called The Tibetan Memory Trick. It consists of repeating
>increasingly long lines of weird (bizarre?) stuff. I believe it starts with
>something like:
>
>1 duck
>2 squawking geese
>3 portulent porpoises
>
>it goes up to 10, and the lines get much much longer as you go.
>
>My question is, does anyone know it?  I have never been able to get a copy of
>it.  The Turtles (Flo & Eddie) used to do it in concert.

Yes.  It's:

	1 duck
	2 squawking geese
	3 portulent porpoises
	4 leaping lemmings
	5

I forget.

sam@bu-cs.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) (09/04/85)

Actually, we use the "Tibetan Memory Trick" as a drinking game.
Whenever I drink with people I don't know very well I suggest
we play it...inasmuch as *I* already know it (and lead it), everybody
else gets plowed.

The leader starts out and says "one hen".  The next person then says
"one hen" and so on around the circle until you get back to the leader.
Then the leader says "one hen, two ducks".  You get the rest.  If you
screw up you CONSUME!

One hen
Two ducks
Three cackling geese
Four corpulent porpoises
Five limerick oysters
Six hundred pairs of Dr. Freemanoid's famous eyebrow tweezers
Seven hundred Macedonian warriors in full battle dress ready to fight
Eight hundred pregnant penguins pushing their perambulators through
   Palasades Park
Nine hundred mortal morphodites practicing their magic in the
   precipitation of rain

...Well, I never stayed straight long enough to learn Ten.

--

"Time flies...    when you're asleep."

From the bizarre fingers of
       Shelli Meyers
UUCP: ...!harvard!bu-cs!sam
ARPA: sam%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

allen@bunker.UUCP (C. Allen Grabert) (09/04/85)

> With all apologies to Flo and Eddie, and with fear from their agent because
> this is posted without permission:
>
> 	One Hen
> 	Two Ducks
> 	Three Squawking Geese
> 	Four Limerick Oysters
> 	Five Corpulent Porpoises
> 	Six Pairs of Don Alversos Tweezeers
> 	Seven Thoudand Macedonians in Full Battle Array
> 	Eight Brass Monkeys from the Ancient Sacred Crypt of Egypt
> 	Nine Apathetic, Sympathetic, Diabetic Old Men on Roller Skates \
> 		with a Marked Propensity toward Procrastination and Sloth
> 	Ten Lyrical, Spherical, Diabolical Denizens of the Deep, who hold
> 		Quay among the Quo in the Quivvy of the Quarry, \
> 		ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

Of course, this reminds me of the title of an old Pink Floyd song,
namely (recalling from memory) "Several Species of Small Furry Animals
Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict".  It is on the
fringes of music (oops, I got in trouble once before for passing
judgement on what constitutes music...)  Just imagine a Top 40 DJ:
'All right, boss jocks, that was this week's number ten hit, "Several
Species of Small Furry Animals..."'
--

                     Back on the freeway, which is already in progress,
		     Allen Grabert (...ittatc!bunker!allen)

fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) (09/04/85)

    > From: evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus)
    > Subject: The Tibetan Memory Trick
    >
    > There is something called The Tibetan Memory Trick. It consists
    > of repeating increasingly long lines of weird (bizarre?) stuff. I
    > believe it starts with something like:
    >
    > 1 duck
    > 2 squawking geese
    > 3 portulent porpoises
    >
    > it goes up to 10, and the lines get much much longer as you go.
    >
    > My question is, does anyone know it?  I have never been able to
    > get a copy of it.  The Turtles (Flo & Eddie) used to do it in
    > concert.

What you're thinking of is the Tibetian version of ``The Twelve Days of
Christmas''
--
All characters mentioned herein are fictitious. Any similarity to
actual characters, ASCII or EBCDIC is purely coincidental.

						Fred Blonder (301) 454-7690
						Fred@Maryland.{ARPA,CSNet}
						seismo!umcp-cs!fred

st175@sdcc13.UUCP (st175) (09/05/85)

In article <458@petfe.UUCP>, evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
 you'll like Post Raisin Bran mo-o-ore.

     Well, when in Tibet.......here goes.

One hen
Two ducks
Three squacking geese
Four limeric oysters
Five corpulant porposes
Six pairs of Don Alveriso (Amichi's?) tweesers
Seven thousand Macedonians in full battle array
Eight brass monkeys from the ancient sacred crypts of Egypt
Nine dispicable diabolical desmonds (Osmonds? I'm a little bit
country.......) of the deep who quequay around the privy all at the
same time,
and..........

Ten parenthetic sympathetic diabetic old men on rollerskates with a
marked propensity toward the provarication and procrastination of
sloth.

                        Wholly Mackeral, what a show!
                            (*ding*)

                                     Lone Stranger

knight@nmtvax.UUCP (09/13/85)

>> With all apologies to Flo and Eddie, and with fear from their agent because
>> this is posted without permission:

Actually, you should apologize to Jerry Lewis, as he came up with it.
However, "Illegal, Immoral, and Fattening", the album that the TMT appears
on, is one of my all-time faves.  I still kick myself when I remind myself
that I was living in LA at the time and missed the concerts that it was
(mostly) recorded from.

"And then, of course, there's the emaciated, white, shriveled up John Denver
 model..."
(peals of laughter from the audience)
"How would YOU know?!?"

Bob