[net.bizarre] sign on long island

mark@tove.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (09/12/85)

While driving through the middle of Long Island I came across a road
sign which read:

	Populated
	  Area

The bizarre part was, and I have pictures of this sign from many angles to
prove it, there was not a house or any other sign of human habitation
to be seen.  Just Long Island scrub.
	-mark
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark

fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) (09/13/85)

  > From: mark@tove.UUCP (Mark Weiser)
  > Subject: sign on long island
  >
  > While driving through the middle of Long Island I came across a
  > road sign which read:
  >
  >	Populated
  >	  Area
  >
  > The bizarre part was, and I have pictures of this sign from many
  > angles to prove it, there was not a house or any other sign of
  > human habitation to be seen.  Just Long Island scrub.

But if there were buildings around, it would have been obvious that the
area was populated, and no sign would have been necessary.
--
All characters mentioned herein are fictitious. Any similarity to
actual characters, ASCII or EBCDIC is purely coincidental.

						Fred Blonder (301) 454-7690
						Fred@Maryland.{ARPA,CSNet}
						seismo!umcp-cs!fred

speaker@gymble.UUCP (Speaker to Animals) (09/15/85)

In article <329@tove.UUCP> mark@tove.UUCP (Mark Weiser) writes:
> While driving through the middle of Long Island I came across a road
> sign which read:
>
> 	Populated
> 	  Area
>
> The bizarre part was, and I have pictures of this sign from many angles to
> prove it, there was not a house or any other sign of human habitation
> to be seen.  Just Long Island scrub.
> 	-mark

Who said anything about human habitation?  Obvously the scrub of Long
Island has a very strong lobby in the Long Island legislature.