[net.bizarre] bizarre place names

tewok@gymble.UUCP (Wayne Morrison) (01/01/70)

>In article <1083@dual.UUCP> hav@dual.UUCP (Not Sid Vicious) writes:
>
>What's bizarre is that I am convinced that Wankers Corner is an invention
>of AAA.  I have never seen a map printed by anyone else showing it.

It very well could be an invention of AAA.  Map makers often invent streets
and put them on their maps at random.  By doing this, they can tell if someone
is copying their maps.  They can then take this person to court and sue
the bananas out of their slugs.  Make sense, eh?  (Maybe I shouldn't have
posted it in net.bizarre, then :-)

--
"I love the feel of plastic.  It makes me hot!"       - T.J. Tarou

				Wayne Morrison (301)454-7690
				tewok@gymble.ARPA
				seismo!umcp-cs!tewok

bprice@bmcg.UUCP (Bill Price) (01/01/70)

In article <1442@cbosgd.UUCP> mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:

>What's bizarre is that I am convinced that Wankers Corner is an invention
>of AAA.  I have never seen a map printed by anyone else showing it.

There really is such a place, sort of.  The place is at the intersection
you named (thanks for supplying the name of Borland Road--I had forgotten
it), and consists of the Wankers Corner Tavern, on the NW corner.  On the
SW corner, there used to be the Wankers Corner Service Station, but it shut
down in (about) 1979.
--
--Bill Price  uucp:  {Most Anybody}!sdcsvax!bmcg!bprice
              arpa:? sdcsvax!bmcg!bprice@nosc

allen@bunker.UUCP (C. Allen Grabert) (01/01/70)

> A friend of mine and her hubby-to-be went on a road trip
> thru Michigan. While tripping down the interstate, they
> saw a sign, with an arrow pointing to an exit that
> read:
>                  Hell
>                3 miles
> --
>                            --- Rob DeMillo
>                                Madison Academic Computer Center
>                                ...seismo!uwvax!uwmacc!demillo

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR BIZARRE ROAD SIGN ***

I was told a few years back by a Washington state resident (if I remember
correctly) that somewhere in the state there is a sign that points to
Othello in one direction and Basin City in another.  However, someone
had obliterated a few letters somehow so that, standing by the sign, a
person could say that they were between "hell" and "sin City"...
--

                     Back on the freeway, which is already in progress,
		     Allen Grabert (...ittatc!bunker!allen)

dsn@tove.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) (08/09/85)

In article <333@baylor.UUCP> peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:

>You yanks think YOU have some funny names. How about "Grong Grong", a small
>town in New South Wales, Australia?

Beltsville, Md.
Bois D'arc, Mo. (pronounced BO-dark)
Bum Fuck, Iowa (a friend of mine claims to have been born near there)
Cabin John, Md.
Cuba, Mo. (local businesses include the People's Bank of Cuba and the
		Cuba Free Press)
Devil's Elbow, Mo.
Fuquay-Varina, N.C.
Half Way, Mo. (half way between Buffalo, Mo. and Boliver, Mo.)
Ho-ho-cus (or is it Ho-ho-kus?), N.J.
Houston, Mo. (county seat of Texas county)
Method, N.C. (which is *completely* surrounded by Raleigh, N.C.)
Metropolis, Ill. (I have heard that the local newspaper is the Daily
		Planet, and that there is an annual Superman festival)
No Tie (in one of the Western states, I forget which one.  Supposedly the name
	has to do with someone forgetting to tie his horse to a hitching post)
Oswego, N.Y. (not to be confused with Owego, N.Y.  I once ended up in the
		wrong town, by mistake!)
Shickshinny, Pa.
Rolla, Mo.  (my home town.  One story is that the intended name was
		Raleigh but that they couldn't remember how to spell it)
--

Dana S. Nau, Comp Sci Dept, U of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
dsn@maryland	seismo!umcp-cs!dsn	(301) 454-7932

fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) (08/10/85)

	From: dsn@tove.UUCP (Dana S. Nau)
	Newsgroups: net.bizarre
	Subject: bizarre place names

	Beltsville, Md.
	Cabin John, Md.
		.
		.
		.

You forgot Accident, Md., out in Garrett County.

Up in Pennsylvania there's ``Bird in Hand'' and ``Intercourse''. I've
been to both of them. Bird in Hand is boring, except for the antique
car dealer, and Intercourse is a tourist trap.
--
All characters mentioned herein are fictitious. Any similarity to
actual characters, ASCII or EBCDIC is purely coincidental.

						Fred Blonder (301) 454-7690
						Fred@Maryland.{ARPA,CSNet}
						harpo!seismo!umcp-cs!fred

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (08/11/85)

My favorites:

      Surprise, Nebraska

and   Hygiene, Colorado

--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

        Your god may be dead, but mine aren't.

davida@umd5.UUCP (08/12/85)

> Beltsville, Md.

   Hey, what's so funny about that???  I live (if you can call it that)
in Beltsville!!!  It's a wonderful ... it's very ... well, it's cheap!

--
David Arnold
University of Maryland

review@drutx.UUCP (MillhamBD) (08/12/85)

You forgot:

No Name, Co.
Halfway, Va.

Brian Millham
AT & T Information Systems
Denver, Co.

...!inhp4!drutx!review

davidk@dartvax.UUCP (David C. Kovar) (08/12/85)

There is also the sign somewhere around Baltimore MD for:

		North East
		Rising Sun

Two distinct towns, I believe...

David C. Kovar
	    USNET:      {linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!davidk%amber
	    ARPA:	davidk%amber%dartmouth@csnet-relay
	    CSNET:	davidk%amber@dartmouth

"I felt like a punk who'd gone out for a switchblade and come back
 with a tactical nuke.

 'Shit', I thought. 'Screwed again. What good's a tactical nuke in a
  street fight?'"
			"Burning Chrome" by William Gibson
--

chris@cornell.UUCP (Christopher F. Harrison) (08/13/85)

In article <314@tove.UUCP> dsn@tove.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) writes:

>Bum Fuck, Iowa (a friend of mine claims to have been born near there)

    I've heard of this place, too. I've also heard of the town it was
named after, a small town near one of our USAF bases in Turkey. It seems
most of my friends that did a remote tour there seemed to lose a grasp
on their sanity before they could return stateside.

  "Where've ya been, John?"
    "Oh, I got stuck in Bum Fuck, Turkey, where the women are men and
     the toilet paper's non-existent! Man, even the cooks in the best
     eateries use their hand to wipe. Thank God for JD's, it was the only
     way to keep my guts clean!"
 "Man, that's sick!"
    "No, that's Bum Fuck, Turkey!"
--
Chris

andy@lasspvax.UUCP (Andy Pfiffer) (08/13/85)

In article <314@tove.UUCP> dsn@tove.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) writes:
>In article <333@baylor.UUCP> peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>You yanks think YOU have some funny names. How about "Grong Grong", a small
>>town in New South Wales, Australia?

>Oswego, N.Y. (not to be confused with Owego, N.Y.  I once ended up in the
>  /\ 		wrong town, by mistake!)
BIZARRE! I spent four years worth of college in that snow-bound town.
Two weekends ago a 2 friends of mine from college got married in Nichols,
New York, just a few miles from Owego, New York.

WHO ARE YOU? AND WHY DO YOU KNOW SUCH THINGS?
GO AWAY! TEAR UP MY VEGETABLE GARDEN IF YOU HAVE TO,
but STOP FOLLOWING ME!

...it isn't easy being paranoid when the world smells of conspiracy
and everyone is out to get you...
USENET:	{decvax,ihnp4,cmcl2,vax135}!cornell!devvax!andy
ARPA:	andy%devvax@Cornell.arpa
MAIL:	Theory Center/265 Olin Hall   "What do you mean
	Cornell University             I watch too much
	Ithaca, NY  14853              TV?"
PHONE:	(607) 256-8686

scooper@brl-tgr.ARPA (Stephan Cooper ) (08/13/85)

>	Subject: bizarre place names
>
>	Beltsville, Md.
>	Cabin John, Md.
>		.
>		.
>		.
>
>You forgot Accident, Md., out in Garrett County.
>
>Up in Pennsylvania there's ``Bird in Hand'' and ``Intercourse''. I've
>been to both of them. Bird in Hand is boring, except for the antique
>car dealer, and Intercourse is a tourist trap.

	There is also a place called 'Paradise' and 'Blue Ball'
	These four all happen to be in the same relative area....(hmmm...)

djw@lanl.ARPA (08/13/85)

How about Mooselookmyguntick, Maine?

Dave

fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) (08/14/85)

    > From: davidk@dartvax.UUCP (David C. Kovar)
    > Newsgroups: net.bizarre
    > Subject: Re: bizarre place names
    >
    > There is also the sign somewhere around Baltimore MD for:
    >
    >		North East
    >		Rising Sun
    >
    > Two distinct towns, I believe...

``Rising Sun'' is indeed a town in Maryland. It is, if newspaper
accounts are to be believed, a hotbed of Klu Klux Klan activity.

I don't know of any town in Maryland called ``North East'', but
``Rising Sun'' is north-east of Baltimore, which may explain the sign.

Also near Baltimore, in the Golden Ring area (how's that for strange)
there's ``Yellow Brick Road''. About ten miles east-northeast of
Baltimore is ``Aero Acres'', a residential area where all the streets
have names like:  ``Right Wing'', ``Left Aileron'', ``Fuselage'',
``Altimiter Court'', etc.  It was built during WWII by the Glenn L.
Martin plant, to house their employees who were furiously building
planes for the war effort.
--

olson@rochester.UUCP (Thomas J. Olson) (08/14/85)

> You forgot:
>
> No Name, Co.
> Halfway, Va.

My favorite :

Condom, France.

  Curiously enough, just outside Condom we stopped to picnic at a ruined
  country church.  It had old stone walls but had lacked a roof for at least
  a century, judging by the bushes and weeds growing through the floor.  In
  the center of the sanctuary stood a rough stone altar, shining in the
  hot sun.  In the center of the altar top lay an empty package of
  birth control pills.

Tom Olson

smc@mit-vax.UUCP (Stewart M. Clamen) (08/14/85)

St. Jean de Ha-Ha, Quebec.

ARPA: SMC%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA
USENET: ...!decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!smc%mit-oz

lhl@lanl.ARPA (08/14/85)

*** THIS LINE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK ***

Place names are sometimes made bizarre in context, as the two western
Minnesota towns referenced in the following headline (describing a fatal
auto accident:)

     FERTILE WOMAN DIES IN CLIMAX

Lewis H. Lowe@The New Mexico Institute for the Incurably Different

YOUR PET MAY BE AN EXTRATERRESTRIAL
			Wierd Al Yankovic

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (08/14/85)

And then there's my favorite sign:
/====================\
|    Welcome to      |
| Steamboat Springs  |
|    Founded  1887   |
| Population 13500   |
|  Elevation  9500 ft|
|  ---------------   |
|      Total 24887   |
\====================/

vollum@rtp47.UUCP (Rob Vollum) (08/14/85)

Sue Brezden writes:
>My favorites:
>
>      Surprise, Nebraska
>
>and   Hygiene, Colorado

Since I just started reading net.bizzare, I don't know if anyone has
mentioned these as their favorite weird place names:

	Intercourse, Pennsylvania
	Blue Ball, Pennsylvania

and the neighboring town of

	Paradise, Pennsylvania

--
Rob Vollum
Data General Corp.

fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) (08/15/85)

    > From: olson@rochester.UUCP (Thomas J. Olson)
    > Newsgroups: net.bizarre
    > Subject: Re: bizarre place names
    >
    > My favorite :
    >	Condom, France.

I'm sure there's an interesting story there. ;-) Anyway, if we're going to
start talking dirty, I nominate Fucking (pronounced FOO-king) Austria.

    > . . . In the center of the altar top lay an empty package of
    > birth control pills.

If it was empty, it wasn't a package of anything.
--
All characters mentioned herein are fictitious. Any similarity to
actual characters, ASCII or EBCDIC is purely coincidental.

						Fred Blonder (301) 454-7690
						Fred@Maryland.{ARPA,CSNet}
						harpo!seismo!umcp-cs!fred

bill@persci.UUCP (08/15/85)

My Favorite (as a former player of a certain bass brass):
	Tuba City (NM? AZ? They took away my maps!! :-(  )

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill
  "Have you hugged your bagpipe today?"

jackg@tekchips.UUCP (Jack Gjovaag) (08/15/85)

> You forgot:
>
> No Name, Co.
> Halfway, Va.

> Brian Millham
> AT & T Information Systems
> Denver, Co.
>
> ...!inhp4!drutx!review

Also, remember HUMPTULIPS, WASHINGTON.

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (08/18/85)

My favorites include:

Rural, Wisconsin
Wankers Corner, Oregon
Beamer Knob, Virginia	(signalling to the space aliens?)
George, Washington

jbtubman@water.UUCP (Jim Tubman [LPAIG]) (08/19/85)

In Saskatchewan, Canada, we have some dandies, including:

	Elbow,
	Eyebrow,
	Indian Head,
	Climax,

and, of course, the famous

	Moose Jaw.

(I have actually been to Indian Head, Elbow and Moose Jaw.)
(My hometown is Wolseley.  Not very funny at all.)

						Jim Tubman
						Saskatchewanite in Exile
						University of Waterloo

pdbain@wateng.UUCP (Peter Bain) (08/19/85)

In article <785@water.UUCP> jbtubman@water.UUCP (Jim Tubman [LPAIG]) writes:

>In Saskatchewan, Canada, we have some dandies, including:
>
>	Elbow,
>	Eyebrow,
>	Indian Head,
>	Climax,
>	Moose Jaw.

What about Head-Smashed-In, in Alberta?
--
   - peter bain
...!{allegra|decvax|clyde|ihnp4 }!watmath!wateng!pdbain

ludemann@ubc-cs.UUCP (Peter Ludemann) (08/20/85)

How about:

Dildo, Newfoundland (named in the late 1700s, apparently referring
		     to a long spit of land nearby).

Horsefly, British Columbia (the name says it all).

Spuzzum, British Columbia (on Highway 1, just a little beyond Hope).
--
ludemann%ubc-vision@ubc-cs.uucp (ubc-cs!ludemann@ubc-vision.uucp)
ludemann@cs.ubc.cdn

jb@rti-sel.UUCP (Jeff Bartlett) (08/20/85)

> In article <333@baylor.UUCP> peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >
> >You yanks think YOU have some funny names. How about "Grong Grong", a small
> >town in New South Wales, Australia?
>
> Bum Fuck, Iowa (a friend of mine claims to have been born near there)
> Fuquay-Varina, N.C.
> Half Way, Mo. (half way between Buffalo, Mo. and Boliver, Mo.)
> Ho-ho-cus (or is it Ho-ho-kus?), N.J.
> Method, N.C. (which is *completely* surrounded by Raleigh, N.C.)
> Shickshinny, Pa.
> Rolla, Mo.  (my home town.  One story is that the intended name was
> 		Raleigh but that they couldn't remember how to spell it)
> Dana S. Nau, Comp Sci Dept, U of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
> dsn@maryland	seismo!umcp-cs!dsn	(301) 454-7932

My hometown is:

High Point, N.C  (the highest point on the southern railroad line)

closely nearby are the townships of  Climax and Hornytown.

(BTW growing up in High Point gave me a remarkable sense of balance)

-- in keeping with the spirt of net.bizzare

package Jeff_Bartlett is
   new Bartlett( email_addr => "mcnc!rti-sel!jb",
                 employer   => "Research Triangle Institute" );

procedure Disclaimer is new Canonical_Disclaimer( others => true );

BTW, look at the syntax charts for Ada Lang. Ref. for 'package_specification'
   it is BIZZARE that header is 'identifer' but the closing designator
   (footer name) can be a more complex 'simple_name'

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (08/20/85)

Eau Gallie, Fla 			(sound it out)
Lizard Lick, NC
Plain Dealing, La
Why, Arizona
Likely, California

--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (Jere Marrs) (08/21/85)

	I`ve been through Wankers Corners several times. But have you been
through

			HUMPTULIPS, WASHINGTON?

						J. Marrs
						Tektronix
						(Blush, Beaverton)

gmv@cbuxc.UUCP (Mike Vrbanac) (08/21/85)

One of my favorites is "Seventeen, Ohio."

For those of you who might not know where Seventeen is, it is about
three miles due east of Gnadenhutten.

--

 +--------------+------------------------+-----------------+
 | Mike Vrbanac | AT&T Bell Laboratories | Columbus, Ahiya |

jbtubman@water.UUCP (Jim Tubman [LPAIG]) (08/21/85)

In article <1225@ubc-cs.UUCP> ludemann@ubc-cs.UUCP (Peter Ludemann) writes:
>How about:
>
>Dildo, Newfoundland (named in the late 1700s, apparently referring
>		     to a long spit of land nearby).

And how far is Dildo from Come-By-Chance?

John Crosbie (Canada's Justice Minister) once gave a speech in Parliament
mentioning many of Newfoundland's settlements with sexually suggestive
names.  I wish I could remember more of them.  (The speech sent the whole
House of Commons into gales of laughter.)

						Jim Tubman
						University of Waterloo

haas@utah-gr.UUCP (Walt Haas) (08/22/85)

Dutch John, Utah

Cheers  -- Walt Haas   ...{decvax ihnp4 seismo}!utah-cs!haas

review@drutx.UUCP (MillhamBD) (08/22/85)

And:

ZYZYZ, Nevada

(Don't ask. This info. is from an incompitent.)

Brian Millham
AT & T Information Systems
Denver, Co.

...!inhp4!drutx!review

hav@dual.UUCP (Not Sid Vicious) (08/23/85)

<*munch*>

=> My favorites include:
=>
=> Rural, Wisconsin
=> Wankers Corner, Oregon
=> Beamer Knob, Virginia	(signalling to the space aliens?)
=> George, Washington

'Fraid I gotta call you on the Wankers Corner one, Mark.  How about a pointer
to a map with this place on it?  (After bragging to SO about it at home last
night, I wasn't able to find it on the AAA map of Oregon, much to my chagrin
and embarassment.)

Helen Anne

     {ucbvax,ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,decwrl,unisoft,fortune,sun,nsc}!dual!hav

"J. Frank Parnell."
"Ott . . . Otto."
"Do you ever feel as if your mind had started to erode?"

knipfer@drutx.UUCP (KnipferRP) (08/23/85)

...and another...... Euren, Wisconsin.

Bob Knipfer
ihnp4!drutx!knipfer

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (08/23/85)

In article <1271@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:

>How about wierd street names?  ...

Here in Saskatoon, we have a wonderful street corner.  It's at the
intersection of Rusholme Road and Avenue P.

			    |  |
			    |  |
		------------+  +----------
	       <  RUSHOLME  |  |     P    >
		------------+  +----------
			    |  |
			    |  |
			    |  |
			    |  |
			    |  |
			    |  |

D.Katz

mcb@ihlpm.UUCP (m. baker) (08/24/85)

> Eau Gallie, Fla 			(sound it out)

> --
>
> 						Byron C. Howes
> 				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

Eau Gallie is actaully pronounced as \oh galley\.  It doesn't
exist as a town any more. In 1969 it merged with the town of
Melbourne.  Among the names to pick from for the new city name was
Eau Gallie, Melbourne, and Holopaw Beach.  (Now that would be
a weird name beacuse Holopaw is 25 miles from the ocean and
in the middle of the swamps.
--

-- Mark

sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (08/24/85)