[net.bizarre] somewhat strange highway sign

dcm@busch.UUCP (Craig Miller) (09/07/85)

<seriously>

While driving to Washington, D.C. last week, I saw this sign in a
construction zone somewhere (I think it was along I-64 in Kentucky,
but I don't remember). It looked something like:

                      ===================
                     ||                 ||
                     ||     T E S T     ||
                     ||                 ||
                      ===================
                     ||                 ||
                     ||     T E S T     ||
                     ||                 ||
                      ===================
                     ||                 ||
                     ||     T E S T     ||
                     ||                 ||
                      ===================
                     ||                 ||
                  ________              ||
                  | test |              ||
                  --------              ||		<-  legs of the sign
                     ||                 ||

Testing signs, maybe?  Anybody got any idea what this is all about?
--
	Craig Miller
	{*}!ihnp4!we53!busch!dcm

- Since I'm a consultant here and not an Anheuser-Busch employee, my
  views (or lack of) are strictly my own.

yrdbrd@bmcg.UUCP (Larry J. Huntley) (09/10/85)

In article <501@busch.UUCP> dcm@busch.UUCP (Craig Miller) writes:

>......... I saw this sign in a
>construction zone somewhere (I think it was along I-64 in Kentucky,
>but I don't remember). It looked something like:

{NOTE: This figure has been edited for the sake of brevity.}
>                      ===================
>                     ||     T E S T     ||
>                      ===================
>                     ||     T E S T     ||
>                      ===================
>                     ||                 ||
>                  ________              ||
>                  | test |              ||
>                  --------              ||		<-  legs of the sign
>                     ||                 ||

>Testing signs, maybe?  Anybody got any idea what this is all about?
>--
>	Craig Miller

I have seen things like this where what was being tested was the paint or
vinyl covering used to make the sign, or the reflective beads in the lettering.

Were all the signs the same color?  Sometimes highway departments or paint
companies test products that will be used for highway signs in the environment
for which they are intended.  It's a good test for weatherability, fume
resistance, etc.  There used to be a strip of road here in San Diego where
they were testing resistance and visibility of striping paints.  For about
a quarter of a mile there were paints of different colors, solids and stripes,
really striking at night when the lights hit the reflective ones.  After about
a year it was easily apparent that some were holding up much better than others.

--
Larry J. Huntley            Burroughs Corporation
                      Distributed Systems Group   MS-703

"Hiii, Boys."
"Oh, it's `Bottles.'  How did you get in here?"
"Oh, I have my ways."
"Yeah, I bet you gave the guard a sleeve-job."

hav@dual.UUCP (Not Sid Vicious) (09/10/85)

<*munch*>

=> Testing signs, maybe?  Anybody got any idea what this is all about?
=> --
=> 	Craig Miller
=> 	{*}!ihnp4!we53!busch!dcm
=> 	The Anheuser-Busch Companies; St. Louis, Mo.
=>
=> - Since I'm a consultant here and not an Anheuser-Busch employee, my
=>   views (or lack of) are strictly my own.

I think it's more than a little bizarre that someone named Miller works at
Anheuser-Busch.  Then again, there are the Repo Men:  Miller, Bud, Oly, and
Lite.

Helen Anne

     {ucbvax,ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,decwrl,unisoft,fortune,sun,nsc}!dual!hav

"J. Frank Parnell."
"Ott . . . Otto."
"Do you ever feel as if your mind had started to erode?"

dcm@busch.UUCP (Craig Miller) (09/11/85)

In article <1096@dual.UUCP> hav@dual.UUCP (Not Sid Vicious) writes:

>I think it's more than a little bizarre that someone named Miller works at
>Anheuser-Busch.  Then again, there are the Repo Men:  Miller, Bud, Oly, and
>Lite.
>
>Helen Anne

When you're good, you can work *anywhere* ! :-)

Actually I think the thing that saves me from a nightly beating is that
it's somewhat well known throughout my group that I'm an avid Bussssch
drinker...  And I can't stand Miller...

"Anheuser-Busch: the official (the only?) brewery of Usenet..."
--

fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) (09/13/85)

  > From: dcm@busch.UUCP (Craig Miller)
  > Subject: somewhat strange highway sign
  >
  > While driving to Washington, D.C. last week, I saw this sign in a
  > construction zone somewhere. It looked something like:
  >
  >                   ===================
  >                  ||                 ||
  >                  ||     T E S T     ||
  >                  ||                 ||
  >                   ===================
  >				.
  >				.
  >				.
  >
  > Testing signs, maybe?  Anybody got any idea what this is all about?

In Baltimore County there's a one-block-long street. At each end,
facing out, there's the sign: ``PAINT TEST AREA''. The road surface is
covered with parallel lane stripes, in various shades of white and
yellow, seperated by at most a few inches and sometimes overlapping,
with no regard to where the real lanes are.  The overall effect is
quite bizarre.

Alongside I-95 east of D.C., there are several signs of the form:

			-----------------
			|		|
			|    NOTICE	|
			|		|
			-----------------
			   "	    "
			   "	    "
			   "	    "

--
All characters mentioned herein are fictitious. Any similarity to
actual characters, ASCII or EBCDIC is purely coincidental.

						Fred Blonder (301) 454-7690
						Fred@Maryland.{ARPA,CSNet}
						seismo!umcp-cs!fred

lkk@teddy.UUCP (09/13/85)

On Route 4, in Northern New Jersey, there are a number of signs, which consist
of the word NOTICE, in typical highway sign size lettering, followed by
a couple of paragraphs, in what must be at most 24 point type.

Besides the fact that its impossible to read from any distance, there's enough
words on that one sign that it might take a minute or two for anyone to read
it, yet they put it on a highway where everybody's going 50 miles per hour, and
the sign is in view for 10 seconds at the most.

--

Sport Death,
Larry Kolodney

miles@vax135.UUCP (Miles Murdocca) (09/22/85)

> On Route 4, in Northern New Jersey, there are a number of signs, which
> consist of the word NOTICE, in typical highway sign size lettering,
> followed by a couple of paragraphs, in what must be at most 24 point type.

> Besides the fact that its impossible to read from any distance, there's
> enough words on that one sign that it might take a minute or two for anyone
> to read it, yet they put it on a highway where everybody's going 50 miles
> per hour, and the sign is in view for 10 seconds at the most.

We have those silly signs down here on Routes 35 and 36 in NJ too.  When I
was in Connecticut, at least they had the guts to use large lettering to
tell you, after you had been on the highway for a mile:

		ROAD LEGALLY CLOSED
	       Pass at your own risk.

What are we supposed to do, pull off and walk?

    Miles Murdocca, 4B-525, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Crawfords Corner Rd,
    Holmdel, NJ, 07733, (201) 949-2504, ...{ihnp4}!vax135!miles