[net.bizarre] How do you spell...

mcdonald@sask.UUCP (Shane McDonald) (09/19/85)

I was just wondering how people spell various noises.
For example, "phhhhht" (which isn't quite wet enough).
Or, "brawnk" for a good, low belch.  There's gotta be
something better than "bar-room" for those slimey farts.
Is the English language sufficient to cover these sounds?
Can you digitize and reproduce those sounds on an Amiga?
I wanna play THAT video game!
--
Shane McDonald
(ihnp4!sask!mcdonald)

pooh@ut-sally.UUCP (Pooh @ Communist Martyrs High) (09/22/85)

In article <278@sask.UUCP> mcdonald@sask.UUCP (Shane McDonald) writes:
>I was just wondering how people spell various noises.
>For example, "phhhhht" (which isn't quite wet enough).
>Or, "brawnk" for a good, low belch.  There's gotta be
>something better than "bar-room" for those slimey farts.
>Is the English language sufficient to cover these sounds?

Well, I have always spelled those dry raspberries as "pthpthpthpthpth."
The wetter ones are "pthbpthbpthbpthb."

And it was once pointed out to me that whenever you
drink a Coke, you develop an urge to "call your
neighbor, *Bob*."

Pooh  (It's just this little chromium switch. . .)

topaz!unipress!pooh, pur-ee!pooh

al@psivax.UUCP (Al Schwartz) (09/24/85)

In article <278@sask.UUCP> mcdonald@sask.UUCP (Shane McDonald) writes:
>I was just wondering how people spell various noises.
>For example, "phhhhht" (which isn't quite wet enough).
>Or, "brawnk" for a good, low belch.  There's gotta be
>something better than "bar-room" for those slimey farts.
>Is the English language sufficient to cover these sounds?
>Can you digitize and reproduce those sounds on an Amiga?
>I wanna play THAT video game!
>--
>Shane McDonald
>(ihnp4!sask!mcdonald)

My favorite spelling of the fart noise (bilabial fricative) is:

	PLBBBBBBTH!!

Of course this only reproduces the sound of one type (short but sweet).  As
we all probably know, many sounds are possible, but their spelling may not be.

There is a humorous record that attempts to catagorize (with names) the various
fart sounds that can be made.  It is called the "Trepidation Contest".  The
song details a Farting battle between Paul Boomer and Lord Windesmear.  I'm not
sure who the artist is but I hear it on the Dr. Demento Radio Show from time
to time.  Very funny.
--
                  Al Schwartz
                  Pacesetter Systems, Inc.,  Sylmar, CA