[net.bizarre] Net.bizarre Official Animal

grady@ucbvax.ARPA (Steven Grady) (01/01/70)

Oh come on.. You people can do better than that.. Possibilities:
slime-mold
whatever tiny nasty beastie it is that causes leprosy
skin (well, it's an organ.. that's pretty close)
adelie penguin (just read today that they are natural bulimics --
	they gorge, rugurgitate, then gorge again.)
ant colony (read Godel, Escher, Bach)
animal (ie someone says "Look, an animal!" -- what do you imagine
	before turning around?[what does the symbol "animal" convey?])
Rover (as in The Prisoner)
a dead stoat
a large pile of misshapen lumber / a zesty pizza (or both, or
	a combination of the two, or the mean)

These may not be the opinions of this organization, but they ARE
the opinions of every other organization.

	Steven

jgd@uwmcsd1.UUCP (John G Dobnick) (08/28/85)

[]    <-- Why is this here?

Wombats!  Wombats!  Wombats!    I'm sick to death of hearing about wombats!

Wombats are insufficiently bizarre.  They look too *cute*!  In fact, they
look like grounded koalas, and we all know how cute *they* are.

The only animal sufficiently bizarre for this this group's mascot is the

			aardvark!

So, let's hear it for the lowly (?) aardvark!

John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
(...ihnp4!uwmcsd1!jgd)

esf00@amdahl.UUCP (Elliott S Frank) (08/30/85)

[...urp...]

>> Wombats!  Wombats!  Wombats!    I'm sick to death of hearing about wombats!
> So, let's hear it for the lowly (?) aardvark!

			Cerbus for Dictator!

jharman@watarts.UUCP (James Harman) (09/01/85)

In article <405@uwmcsd1.UUCP> jgd@uwmcsd1.UUCP (John G Dobnick) writes:
>Wombats!  Wombats!  Wombats!    I'm sick to death of hearing about wombats!
>The only animal sufficiently bizarre for this this group's mascot is the
>			aardvark!

	The aardvark? I vote for squid.

steve@micomvax.UUCP (Steve Grice) (09/03/85)

In article <405@uwmcsd1.UUCP> jgd@uwmcsd1.UUCP (John G Dobnick) writes:
>[]    <-- Why is this here?
>
>Wombats!  Wombats!  Wombats!    I'm sick to death of hearing about wombats!
>
>Wombats are insufficiently bizarre.  They look too *cute*!  In fact, they
>look like grounded koalas, and we all know how cute *they* are.
>
>The only animal sufficiently bizarre for this this group's mascot is the
>

>			aardvark!
>

>So, let's hear it for the lowly (?) aardvark!
>
>--
>--
>John G Dobnick
>Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
>(...ihnp4!uwmcsd1!jgd)

How about the Tasmanian Devil, now that's bizarre.

--

Steve Grice
philabs!micomvax!steve

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (09/04/85)

In article <405@uwmcsd1.UUCP> jgd@uwmcsd1.UUCP (John G Dobnick) writes:

>Wombats!  Wombats!  Wombats!    I'm sick to death of hearing about wombats!
>
>Wombats are insufficiently bizarre.  They look too *cute*!  In fact, they
>look like grounded koalas, and we all know how cute *they* are.

Fred the Death Wombat wants to talk to you about that.  Frankly, I'd hide
the bananas and the marshmallows unless you want serious trouble.  Unfor-
tunately all the koalas I know are training Nicaraguans in guerilla
warefare so I haven't heard from them.
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

mcm@cosivax.UUCP (Michael C. Mix) (09/05/85)

> []    <-- Why is this here?
>
> Wombats!  Wombats!  Wombats!    I'm sick to death of hearing about wombats!
>
> Wombats are insufficiently bizarre.  They look too *cute*!  In fact, they
> look like grounded koalas, and we all know how cute *they* are.
>
> The only animal sufficiently bizarre for this this group's mascot is the
>

> 			aardvark!
>

> So, let's hear it for the lowly (?) aardvark!
>
> --
> --
> John G Dobnick
> Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
> (...ihnp4!uwmcsd1!jgd)

   Hey!What about the magnificent armadillo?!?!?!!

			 Mike Mix
			 COSI,Ann Arbor

arnold@ucbvax.ARPA (Kenneth C R C Arnold) (09/06/85)

In article <504@micomvax.UUCP> steve@micomvax.UUCP (Steve Grice) writes:
>How about the Tasmanian Devil, now that's bizarre.

How utterly boring.  The Official Animal of net.bizarre should
be an empty can of Billy Beer.  Or possibly armpit hair.  They
very concept of the Offical Animal being an *animal* is just
too predictable and trite for words.  I, personally, hereby nominate
little yellow pieces of paper that are *not* Post-Its to be
net.bizarre's Official Animal.

		Ken Arnold
		Freebler, 2nd class

fbp@cybvax0.UUCP (Rick Peralta) (09/07/85)

ug dead yet ? >

>The only animal sufficiently bizarre for this this group's mascot is the
>

>			aardvark!

I second, third and other wise approve of the aardvark.
Such a noble brow.  Stealth is it's middle name.
And such a diet !?!  Intelligent too.

Rick  ...!cybvax0[!dmc0]!fbp

"BAN THE BLENDER"

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (09/08/85)

For our official mascot, I suggest we tailor some amoebas genetically to make
them about 2 inches long and glowing in the dark, then feed the biggest one
printouts of all our postings.  If it survives, we make it the mascot.

judith@proper.UUCP (Judith Abrahms) (09/09/85)

I suggest the Timex Sinclair.

A man who is a genius and doesn't know it probably isn't.  -- Lec

cmj@cosivax.UUCP (Charles M. Jones) (09/10/85)

In our quest for an official mascot, may have proposed we use what they feel is
the most intrinsically bizarre animal imaginable.  What an expected and mundane
approach.  More appropriate, I feel, would be to chose as our official mascot an
animal whose relationship to eco-system most closely resembles our own, bizarre,
relationship to the net.  I offer as our Official Mascot the tree sloth.

Despite its natural endowment of an opposable thumb and keen intelligence, the
sloth choses to remain apart from the mainstream of evolution.  Declining the
responsibility real growth requires, the sloth is content with a laid back,
perhaps even lazy existence.  Although there's nothing bizarre about the sloth's
behavior(albeit little), the very fact that evolution provides such a creature
a viable niche is testimony to the eco-system's compassion.  Nothing less could
be said of net.bizzare itself:  despite our members' gifts we move slowly, when
at all, and serve little function within the net - except perhaps as a something
an occasional net user will look upon and, knowing full well we will never be
house-broken, gleefully exclaim:

	"Why look Harold - don't you think they're cute?"

bill@persci.UUCP (09/12/85)

In article <736@cybvax0.UUCP> fbp@cybvax0.UUCP (Rick Peralta) writes:
>>The only animal sufficiently bizarre for this this group's mascot is the
>>			aardvark!
>I second, third and other wise approve of the aardvark.
>Such a noble brow.  Stealth is it's middle name.
>And such a diet !?!  Intelligent too.
>Rick  ...!cybvax0[!dmc0]!fbp
>"BAN THE BLENDER"

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

It has gotta be the SLUG! It has *ALL* the advantages you attribute to the
aardvark, and more!

1. Slugs are found *everywhere* in the habitable earth and Canada. (If you
   are in short supply locally, let me know. I'll be glad to send you some.)
   Everybody on the net can have one!

2. With slugs, everybody can tailor their mascot to their regional preference.
   Seattlites can have leopard slugs, Californians banana or blonde (or even
   Zayante Hump-backed) slugs, and divers sea slugs. Why, even printers,
   shooters, brawlers, drinkers, and pre-metric British physicists can have
   slugs! (Agoraphobes, of course, will have snails instead.)

3. With a pocketful of slugs, you can get sodas real cheap from vending
   machines! Ever try to stuff an aardvark into a coin slot??

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (09/12/85)

> Oh come on.. You people can do better than that.. Possibilities:
> slime-mold
> Rover (as in The Prisoner)

How about a baby's arm holding an apple?
Or maybe a Plastic Pink Flamingo (PPF) with flashing lights
inside!

Or how about the Cabbit -- half cat, half rabbit (a supposedly
  real but strange animal).

Gary

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (09/14/85)

Ok, another candidate: the tree kangaroo, no joke. If you ever get to
see a film of one you will notice it appears terrified of even small
heights and almost unable to climb trees (though it lives in them),
sounds like a natural net.bizarre existential hero if ever there was
one.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

grady@ucbvax.ARPA (Steven Grady) (09/15/85)

(The line-eater is getting a bit fat..  Maybe suggestions for a bizarre diet?)

>Ok, another candidate: the tree kangaroo, no joke. If you ever get to
>see a film of one you will notice it appears terrified of even small
>heights and almost unable to climb trees (though it lives in them),
>sounds like a natural net.bizarre existential hero if ever there was
>one.
>
>	-Barry Shein, Boston University

Well, the explanation for this is obvious:  There must have been a
kangaroo with these characteristics in a tree one day (probably via the
sick sense of humor of some schizophrenic aborigine), and okay, what is
it going to do?  It's paralyzed with fear (being acrophobic) thus would
being gripping the branch until it's knuckles (do kangaroos have them?)
are white.  It can't climb down (seeing as it doesn't know how, just
about), so it stays there.  Finally has children, and voila, a new
species (by the formal definition, since it can't breed with non-tree
kangaroos, them by definition never being in the vicinity).  Of course
all tree kangaroos are afraid of heights and/or can't climb trees, since
if there was one that could climb and wasn't afraid, it would just go
down, since what kangaroo in its right mind would want to live in a
tree? QED.

	From the bizarre, twisted, demented, sick mind of
	Steven
(I have no opinions.  Only personal facts.)

todd@bu-cs.UUCP (Todd Cooper) (09/18/85)

How about the Duck Billed Platypus (aka Onithoryncus Anitinus (spelling?))
for the official net.bizarre animal.

It is the *ONLY* egg-laying mammal in existence.  In lives in Australia.
It lays a leather egg.  It suckles its young like a mammal.  It has a Bill
(mouth) like a duck and lives in the water.

Send flames to net.bizarre.
--
---------------------------
Todd Cooper

UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!todd
ARPA:	todd%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
CSNET:	todd@bu-cs
BITNET:	stdttc@bostonu
USNail:	29 Gordon Street #201, Brighton, MA 02135

gjk@talcott.UUCP (John) (09/19/85)

The official animal should be a stiptic pencil.
--
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
      ^  ^^

manheimer@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Ken Manheimer) (09/23/85)

> The official animal should be a stiptic pencil.
> --
> abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
>       ^  ^^

*** REPLACE THIS LIME WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

				  why
?

abcdefghijklmopqrstuvwxyz
          ^^^

everything leaks

review@drutx.UUCP (MillhamBD) (09/23/85)

I can't belive it! Nobody suggested OPUS THE PENGUIN!

Brian Millham
AT & T Information Systems
Denver, Co.

...!ihnp4!drutx!review

aardvark@nmtvax.UUCP (09/24/85)

In article <> gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) writes:
>How about a baby's arm holding an apple?
>Or maybe a Plastic Pink Flamingo (PPF) with flashing lights
>inside!
>
>Or how about the Cabbit -- half cat, half rabbit (a supposedly
>  real but strange animal).
>
>Gary
They are real. Strangest damn things. No bigger than my fist.
And they're manmade.

So do I cut 'em up just like regular chickens?
aardvark@nmtvax (ah! grubs)

morris@Shasta.ARPA (09/24/85)

In article <652@bu-cs.UUCP> todd@bu-cs.UUCP (Todd Cooper) writes:
>How about the Duck Billed Platypus (aka Onithoryncus Anitinus (spelling?))
>for the official net.bizarre animal.
>
>It is the *ONLY* egg-laying mammal in existence.  In lives in Australia.
>It lays a leather egg.  It suckles its young like a mammal.  It has a Bill
>(mouth) like a duck and lives in the water.

Sorry, but the platypus *isn't* the only egg-laying mammal in existence.
There's also the echidna, or 'spiny anteater'.  Of course, it's from
Australia.  Why don't you just nominate Australia as official net.bizarre
country and be done with it?

(The platypus doesn't live in water.  It lives in burrows along the banks
of rivers.)

	Kathy Morris
	(morris@diablo.arpa,
	{decvax!decwrl | ucbvax | ...}!Glacier!diablo!morris)

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (09/25/85)

> 	The aardvark? I vote for squid.

You must live in my district.  I voted for him, too.
--
"I was walking down the street.  A man came up to me and asked me what was the
 capital of Bolivia.  I hesitated.  Three sailors jumped me.  The next thing I

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (09/25/85)

> How about the Duck Billed Platypus (aka Onithoryncus Anitinus (spelling?))
> for the official net.bizarre animal.
>
> It is the *ONLY* egg-laying mammal in existence.  In lives in Australia.
> It lays a leather egg.  It suckles its young like a mammal.  It has a Bill
> (mouth) like a duck and lives in the water.

It is also the only animal in existence that has an "Inspected by 6" sticker
on the lower hind quarters of its body at birth.

(Not many people know that...)
--
"There!  I've run rings 'round you logically!"
"Oh, intercourse the penguin!"			Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr