[net.bizarre] Bizarre pet names, anyone?

crandell@ut-sally.UUCP (Jim Crandell) (09/10/85)

Anyone know of any really bizarre names people call their pets?
Especially bizarre pets?  Or if you haven't heard any, can you think
of any suitable for special occasions?  For example, if your spouse
gave you a baby hippo for your wedding anniversary, what would you call it?
How about an adult hippo?  A rhino?  A wombat?  A banana slug?
A synthetic, pseudo-organic replica of Judge Moriarty Wapner?
--

    Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin
               {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!crandell

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (09/10/85)

> Anyone know of any really bizarre names people call their pets?
>     Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin

I dunno about pets, but I heard a guy talking an the phone to his wife,
and he seemed to have a pet name for her.

He called her "Daddy."

This is clearly significant ... but of *what*?

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

mcmullan@unmvax.UUCP (09/13/85)

> Anyone know of any really bizarre names people call their pets?
> Especially bizarre pets?  Or if you haven't heard any, can you think
> of any suitable for special occasions?  For example, if your spouse
> gave you a baby hippo for your wedding anniversary, what would you call it?
> How about an adult hippo?  A rhino?  A wombat?  A banana slug?
> A synthetic, pseudo-organic replica of Judge Moriarty Wapner?
> --
>
>     Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin
>                {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!crandell

*** LINE THIS MESSAGE WITH YOUR REPLACEMENT ***
For what it's worth (or worthless), here's a list of the cats that have deigned to share quarters with me for the past eight years or so:

Finuial
Nimue
Sarastro
Spiderbark
Rumblebelch
Finalin
Feamith
Warhead
Procyon

(I was living in the eastern foothills of the southern Rockies, where the half-life of cats is about 5.26 months, courtesy of the owls, coyotes and mosquitos.)

                                      Look to the rainbow,
						Duke

            Duke McMullan			(505) 255-4642

     3301 Monte Vista Blvd N.E.       |        P.O. Box 40342
     Albuquerque, NM 87106            |        Albuquerque, NM 87196

             Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
            University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131

{convex,ucbvax,gatech,aml-cs,csu-cs,anl-mcs}!unmvax!mcmullan
{pur-ee!purdue,ucbvax!lbl-csam,philabs!cmcl2}!lanl-a!unmc!unmvax!mcmullan

rosen@gypsy.UUCP (09/13/85)

>Anyone know of any really bizarre names people call their pets?

I met a guy who worked in a horse stable and handled horses.  He had a dog
that always hung around the stable while he worked.  I ask him the name of
the dog and he said 'Rehab'.  'Rehab'?  That's a strange name, why do you
call him that I ask.  The guy told me that the dog was a reformed alcoholic
(and the dog looked it).  He was totally serious.

nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) (09/16/85)

>     Jim Crandell({ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!crandell) writes:
> Anyone know of any really bizarre names people call their pets?

     I have had the rare honor of owning or being acquainted with:

	0.  A cat named "Paranoia".
	1.  A cat named "Dummy".  She also responded to "Stupid".
	2.  A cat named "Crip"
	3.  A cat named "Svart".  The word is Icelandic for "black".
	    Needless to say, he was a black cat.
	4.  A dog named "Snort".  He later had a son named "Toke".
	5.  A female dog named "Magenta".  Rocky Horror fans will understand
	    this one.
	6.  A friend has a female dog named "Charlie".
	7.  I knew someone that had a cat named "Dog".  He used to make
	    a habit of beating up the neighborhood dogs.
	8.  I told the MOTAS that I would like to name our next cat "Taco"
	    or "Burrito", but I may settle for one of the Kzinti names that
	    I ran across in Niven's "Known Space" series.

> Or if you haven't heard any, can you think of any suitable for special
> occasions?  For example, if your spouse gave you a baby hippo for your
> wedding anniversary, what would you call it?
> How about an adult hippo?  A rhino?  A wombat?  A banana slug?

     If MOTAS gave me a slug, I would name it, of course, "Sluggo".

				Kchula-Rrit

mcb@ihlpm.UUCP (m. baker) (09/18/85)

My wife wants us to get another dog so that she
can name it "Kity".

jbtubman@water.UUCP (Jim Tubman [LPAIG]) (09/19/85)

My friend Dan has a dog named "Zero".  We always thought that was pretty
bizarre.

						Jim Tubman
						University of Waterloo

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (09/19/85)

Well, I bought goldfish so that I could give them bizarre names.

Until about 3 weeks ago, I had Gefilte, Go, and Sel.  (Gefilte fish...
you finish it...)  My sister had 2 fish named S and M.  (1 per name)
[no crackpot comments about my sister, please.]

--Evan Marcus

[Well, Judith, do I win???]
--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

There was a major earthquake today in the tiny African country of Togo...

runyan@ihlpm.UUCP (Mike Runyan) (09/19/85)

My next dog is going to be a pointer and its name ARGV.......

	-Mike Runyan
	ihlpm!runyan

"Almost everything I know I learned by listening to myself,
	when I was talking about things I knew nothing about."

		-Gracie Allen

mcdonald@sask.UUCP (Shane McDonald) (09/21/85)

Saw a poodle named Rambo this summer.
--
Shane McDonald
(ihnp4!sask!mcdonald)

features@ihuxf.UUCP (aMAZon) (09/21/85)

I heard of a guy who had two dogs.

One was named "Get Down".
The other was named "You Heard Me".
--

aMAZon @ AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL; ihnp4!ihuxf!features

panoff@tut.UUCP (Robert Panoff) (09/22/85)

I have a friend in Pittsburgh who named his dog "Dammit." So, it's
always, "Dammit, come here!" or "Dammit, get off the couch!" or
"You're a good dog, Dammit."  His aunt refuses to call the dog by
that name, so she calls it "Dammie."

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (09/22/85)

>From: runyan@ihlpm.UUCP (Mike Runyan)
>My next dog is going to be a pointer and its name ARGV.......

Better if it were a pointer who could find a pointer named ARGV...

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

(or even better, could find an arbitrary number of them but always one.)

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (09/23/85)

When I was a kid, I had a friend whose dog was named Kelev.  That is the
Hebrew word for Cat.  (My keyboard doesn't handle the Hebrew character
set, so I came as close as I could.)

--Evan Marcus
--

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (09/24/85)

> Finuial Nimue Sarastro Spiderbark Rumblebelch Finalin Feamith Warhead
> Procyon
>
> (I was living in the eastern foothills of the southern Rockies, where the
> half-life of cats is about 5.26 months, courtesy of the owls, coyotes and
> mosquitos.)

About all the life cats have is in their names.  Since cats can't see any-
thing that's not moving, their brains are the perfect example of a hardwired
processor: if they had a microprogram to control them, it would implement
the algorithm

	while (alive) do
	{
		while (not visible(object)) do
			walk around in daze;
		while (visible(object))
			strike object;
		if (random() < 0.15)
			eat object;
		lick fur;
		sleep;
	}

Notice that the visible(object) also serves to determine whether the object
is alive; eliminates the need to recognize edible objects; etc.  Edible
objects are also recognizable by smell, but this faculty is so primitive that
the smell has to be very strong, and the probability of eating the object is
still small, leading humans who anthropomorphize cats to claim they are
"finnicky".

The above program is so primitive it can be hardwired, and the cat's
program cannot be changed.  This is attributed, however, to the cat's
"independence".

PS - since the above was written in net.bizarre, it should not be taken
seriously.
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP: Ofc:  ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

		->(EWR)/SEA

suki@reed.UUCP (Monica Nosek) (09/24/85)

And I once knew a great dog named Dioji (say it slowly a few
times...)

shaver@isucs1.UUCP (09/29/85)

[]

> Anyone know of any really bizarre names people call their pets?

I call the family pets "Shit-head" [after Steve Martin's dog] and "Hoser"
[after Bob and Doug Mackenze's dog.]

/// Dave Shaver  -=*=-  Located at Iowa State University -- Ames, IA
\\\ UUCP: {okstate||umn-cs||csu-cs}!isucs1!shaver   CSNET: shaver@iowa-state

tortorino@hamstr.DEC (Sandra Dee @ Merrimack, 264-5977) (10/02/85)

Not totally bizarre, but rather unique . . .

A family nearby has a cute little pound dog, half terrier and half poodle.
 Her name?  Madonna.

-Sandy