[net.bizarre] peruvian recipies wanted

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (09/11/85)

In article <828@lll-crg.UUCP> bandy@lll-crg.UUCP (Andrew Scott Beals) writes:
>Hi there folks - last night at dinner we were talking about Peruvian
>recipes and realized that none of our cookbooks had recipies for guinea
>pigs in them. We all thought that this was rather odd as given the
>exercise that these fat (but cute!) little beasties get and the good
>diet that they eat, they ought to be quite tasty. Perhaps with a good
>spinach and nutmeg garnish?
>
>Does anyone have any recipes for guinea pig?

Not quite, but I do have a recipe for "Field Mouse Pie".  I'm sure other
rodents could be substituted:

	F I E L D   M O U S E   P I E

(_Yankee_, February 1981; reprinted in _Inside New England_, pp. 66-7)

	5 fat field mice   (may substitute sausages in cold weather)
	1 medium can tomatoes
	1 cup cracker crumbs
	1 cup macaroni
	1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced

Boil the macaroni 10 minutes.  While it is cooking, fry [cleaned] field
mice long enough to try out excess fat.  Grease casserole with some of the
fat and put a layer of macaroni in it.  Add onion and tomatoes, then salt
and pepper it well.  Add field mice and cover with the remaining macaroni.
Sprinkle the top with cracker crumbs seasoned with salt, pepper, and butter.

Bake at 325F for 20 minutes or until mice are well done.

AWR

spp@ucbvax.ARPA (Stephen P Pope) (09/13/85)

Enough of this.  I don't wan't to eat rodents,
especially not no guinea pigs.
   Although, were I to eat a rodent, a vegetarian
rodent such as the hapless above-mentioned
cavies would run less of a risk of poisoning
you with trichinosis or other vile diseases.
    I'll generalize that -- I don't want to eat
any clawed creatures, including rabbits.  Used
to be, rabbits were classified as rodents, but
they created a new family just so that gastronomes
wouldn't get grossed out.

steve pope

mcb@ihlpm.UUCP (m. baker) (09/18/85)

Take two medium sized peruvians, add onions, carrots, parsley.
Simmer for 4 hours.  Now for the sauce...

-- Mark

bllklly@uwmacc.UUCP (Bill Kelly) (10/03/85)

In article <828@lll-crg.UUCP> bandy@lll-crg.UUCP (Andrew Scott Beals) writes:
>Hi there folks - last night at dinner we were talking about Peruvian
>recipes and realized that none of our cookbooks had recipies for guinea
>pigs in them...

I've been told that in Peru you can get paintings of the Last Supper that
show the main course as, you guessed it, guinea pigs.  Anyone know where I
can find such a painting nearer than Peru?
--
Bi||     {allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!bllklly
Ke||y    UW-Madison, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706

"Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is supposed
 to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley