[net.bizarre] Non-words we already know the meanings of

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (09/02/85)

Anyone ever consider all the words that aren't words, but if these words
were words, we'd already know what they meant?  (Huh?)

I think the best way to illustrate is with examples:

We know what non-chalant is, but how about chalant.  Chalant is not a word,
yet if it were, it would clearly be the opposite of non-chalant.

Others might be on-handed, couth...

Any other suggestions?

--Evan Marcus
(with this I am retiring my somewhat long, yet amusing .signature)
--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

It's raisins that make Post Raisin Bran so wonderful,
It's raisins that make Post Raisin Bran so different,
It's raisins that make Post Raisin Bran so raisiny,
More raisins, lots more raisins, more raisins than you have ever seen before.
If you like raisins, lots more raisins, you'll like Post Raisin Bran mo-o-ore.

It's probably Post's trademark, but do you care?

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (09/04/85)

In article <465@petfe.UUCP> evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
>Anyone ever consider all the words that aren't words, but if these words
>were words, we'd already know what they meant?  (Huh?)
>
>I think the best way to illustrate is with examples:
>
>We know what non-chalant is, but how about chalant.  Chalant is not a word,
>yet if it were, it would clearly be the opposite of non-chalant.

The cunning linguists call these "lost positives".  Some of these (e.g.,
"innocent" <-> "nocent") actually were words at one time, but have fallen
into disuse (or datuse) over the years.

National Lampoon ran a list of such "non-words" a few years back... stay
tuned and I'll find the issue and post a few.

AWR

folta@yale.ARPA (Stephen Folta) (09/06/85)

	Anyone ever consider all the words that aren't words, but if these
	words were words, we'd already know what they meant?  (Huh?)

	I think the best way to illustrate is with examples:

	We know what non-chalant is, but how about chalant.  Chalant is not a
	word, yet if it were, it would clearly be the opposite of non-chalant.

	Others might be on-handed, couth...

	Any other suggestions?

	--Evan Marcus

Here is something I have wondered about:  Everybody knows what HALF-ASSED
means, but what does it mean to be FULLY-ASSED?  Is it better or worse than
being half-assed?

Stephen Folta
decvax!yale!folta

gene@batman.UUCP (Gene Mutschler) (09/06/85)

> The cunning linguists call these "lost positives".
      -----------------
Indeed.  Net.bizarre has gone to his head...
--
Gene Mutschler             {ihnp4 seismo ctvax}!ut-sally!batman!gene
Burroughs Corp.

crandell@ut-sally.UUCP (Jim Crandell) (09/06/85)

In article <465@petfe.UUCP> evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
>Anyone ever consider all the words that aren't words, but if these words
>were words, we'd already know what they meant?  (Huh?)
>We know what non-chalant is, but how about chalant.  Chalant is not a word,
>yet if it were, it would clearly be the opposite of non-chalant.
>
>Others might be on-handed, couth...

That's no way to form new words.  This suggestion indicates a complete
lack of comprension of some very basic linguistic concepts.  I would
really be plussed if you were less derstanding.
--

    Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin
               {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!crandell

WARNING: If you are not *fluent* in English this will all be dreadfully
          cryptic!

>> nonchalant --gives-- chalant

> innocent --originally negative of-- nocent

     Then  there  are  the other back-formations.   For  example, "pea".
Originally, I understand, there was a word "pease" which meant the small
round green (collective,  ie, plural)  vegetable we all know.  The e got
dropped and on the (false) assuption the result was a plural we now have
"pea"  in the language.  There's a similar  example,  some legal  term I
can't recall at the moment.

     How about "excest" or "outcest", referring  to sex with someone not
related to you?  (for the unimaginitive: derived from "incest")

     I recall reading of a book titled "Ounce, Dice, Trice" once.

     Presumably "digineous [to]" means "not native [to]"?

     And, of  course, if you want someone to stay  away  from your party
you send them an exvitation.
--
					der Mouse

{ihnp4,decvax,akgua,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse

Hacker: One responsible for destroying /
Wizard: One responsible for recovering it afterward

brad@SU-ISL.ARPA (09/09/85)

In article <465@petfe.UUCP> evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
>Anyone ever consider all the words that aren't words, but if these words
>were words, we'd already know what they meant?  (Huh?)
>
>I think the best way to illustrate is with examples:
>
>We know what non-chalant is, but how about chalant.  Chalant is not a word,
>yet if it were, it would clearly be the opposite of non-chalant.
>
>Others might be on-handed, couth...

couth really is a word! (Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary):

couth (adj) : sophisticated, polished.

couth (n) : polish, refinement.

bill@persci.UUCP (09/10/85)

In article <134@yale.ARPA> folta@yale.ARPA (Stephen Folta) writes:
>	Anyone ever consider all the words that aren't words, but if these
>	words were words, we'd already know what they meant?  (Huh?)
>	Others might be on-handed, couth...
Whoa! Looking in my dictionary..

couth (kooth) Obs. past & past part. of CAN; specif., part. adj.
  Known; familiar; noted.  Cf. UNCOUTH

Obsolete it may be, but it's a word.
Other bizarre definitions from the dictionary:

Y'all know that "baggie" is a brand name for a certain little plastic bag
usually used for sandwiches, etc.. Well, I found it in the dictionary (this
dictionary is only a year older than I am, it certainly predates wide-spread
use of plastics):

bag'gie (bag'i; beg'i) n. Chiefly Scot. The belly.

..out of one Baggie into another, yum!..

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

blarson@oberon.UUCP (Bob Larson) (09/22/85)

What about the lost singulars?  Perhap there isn't one.

--
Bob Larson
Arpa: Blarson@Usc-Ecl.Arpa

mcguire@aero.ARPA (Rod McGuire) (09/24/85)

In article <120@oberon.UUCP> blarson@oberon.UUCP (Bob Larson) writes:

>What about the lost singulars?  Perhap there isn't one.

There are the non existant "semantic" singulars: underpant, tweezer, scissor,
and glass (1/2 of a pair of eye-glasses).

One might also be able to make a case for phonetic singulars such as
a "gee" = one of the members of a flock of geese.

faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel Faigin) (09/24/85)

Actually, I've always wondered the following:

What is the plural of asparagus?

What is the singular of broccoli?

Daniel
--
UUCP: {akgua allegra ihnp4 hplabs sdcsvax trwrb cbosgd}!sdcrdcf!faigin
ARPA: sdcrdcf!faigin@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA --or-- sdcrdcf!faigin@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

W: SDC, 2525 Colorado MD 91-01; Santa Monica CA 90406; (213) 820-4111 x6393
H: 11743 Darlington Avenue #9; Los Angeles CA 90049; (213) 826-3357

The views and opinions expressed in  this message are not necessarily those of
my  employer,  except  the janitor who agrees with everything I write.  I hope
for his early recovery and release.

reid@dciem.UUCP (David Brake c/o Reid Ellis) (09/26/85)

I've always thought of myself as a couth youth myself,
but people look at me funny when I tell them so. I am
also one of the few people who supports establishmentarianism

David Russell Brake I, Esq.

Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medely of extemporanea;
And love is a thing that can never go wrong,
And I am the King of Roumania.
Reid Ellis	"Roads?  Where we're going, who needs _roads_?"
{{allegra,decvax,duke,floyd,linus}!utzoo,{ihnp4,utzoo}!utcsri}!dciem!reid
This message brought to you courtesy of the Poslfit Committee

jims@hcrvax.UUCP (Jim Sullivan) (09/27/85)

what about `ept' ?  someone can be `inept', is someone who is `ept'
good at something ?

Jim in the fish bowl

review@drutx.UUCP (MillhamBD) (09/27/85)

The plural of half = whole.

Brian Millham
AT & T Information Systems
Denver, Co.

...!ihnp4!drutx!review

scott@cxsea.UUCP (Scott Matthews) (09/27/85)

Daniel writes:
> What is the singular of broccoli?

It is, of course, "broccolo", from the Italien.
But I bet you can't eat just one.
--
Scott A. Matthews

manheimer@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Ken Manheimer) (09/29/85)

> In article <120@oberon.UUCP> blarson@oberon.UUCP (Bob Larson) writes:
>
> >What about the lost singulars?  Perhap there isn't one.
>
> There are the non existant "semantic" singulars: underpant, tweezer, scissor,
> and glass (1/2 of a pair of eye-glasses).
>
> One might also be able to make a case for phonetic singulars such as
> a "gee" = one of the members of a flock of geese.

*** REPLACE THE  SLIME WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

Then there's the everpopular fent (astray from the other fence) and a bok
(one of many box) to corral it in.

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (09/30/85)

]From: faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel Faigin)
]
]Actually, I've always wondered the following:
]
]What is the plural of asparagus?
]
]What is the singular of broccoli?

A better one yet:

	What is the adverb form of "friendly" ?

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

	"Are we gonna be starcrossed lovers or just good friends?"

fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) (10/01/85)

  > From: scott@cxsea.UUCP (Scott Matthews)
  >
  > Daniel writes:
  > > What is the singular of broccoli?
  >
  > It is, of course, "broccolo", from the Italien.
  > But I bet you can't eat just one.

No. The ``broccolo'' is a small flute-like musical instrument made from
hollowed-out broccoli stalks.
--
All characters mentioned herein are fictitious. Any similarity to
actual characters, ASCII or EBCDIC is purely coincidental.

						Fred Blonder (301) 454-7690
						Fred@Maryland.{ARPA,CSNet}
						seismo!umcp-cs!fred

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (10/03/85)

In article <1693@dciem.UUCP> reid@dciem.UUCP (David Brake) writes:
>I've always thought of myself as a couth youth myself,
>but people look at me funny when I tell them so. I am
>also one of the few people who supports establishmentarianism.

For more of this sort of thing, check out "Toward an Expanded English Language"
in the Fall Potpourri Issue (Sept. '79, I think) of the National Lampoon... a
very eptly-written article!

marvinm@ttidcb.UUCP (Marvin Moskowitz) (10/04/85)

In article <120@oberon.UUCP> blarson@oberon.UUCP (Bob Larson) writes:
>What about the lost singulars?  Perhap there isn't one.
>
>--
>Bob Larson

If there are no lost singulars, I guess you have had a lot of
experience putting on one pant (=:

bill@persci.UUCP (10/04/85)

In article <363@gymble.UUCP> fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) writes:
>  > From: scott@cxsea.UUCP (Scott Matthews)
>  > Daniel writes:
>  > > What is the singular of broccoli?
>  > It is, of course, "broccolo", from the Italien.
>  > But I bet you can't eat just one.
>No. The ``broccolo'' is a small flute-like musical instrument made from
>hollowed-out broccoli stalks.

You're close. It is actually a reed instrument (the best modern reeds are made
from 20 year old McDonald's straws), and the name is homophonous with the
music, uh.. sound, it emits.

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

samson@h-sc1.UUCP (gregory samson) (10/04/85)

What about "der"?  If you're on top of something, are you "der", as opposed
to "under"?  "Derneath" should work similarly.

---
G. T. Samson
The Evil MicroWizard
gts@wjh12.ARPA

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (10/06/85)

> Actually, I've always wondered the following:
>
> What is the plural of asparagus?

  asparagi

> What is the singular of broccoli?

broccolus

> Daniel

--Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die
-- udenva!showard
--  "You never know; some things disguise themselves as food."