[net.bizarre] Mounting toilet paper rolls

pete@uottawa.UUCP (Peter Hickey) (09/18/85)

I need some help.  I know that this is not nte.ettiquitte, but
I guess its the closest there is.

I'm having a party this weekend, and I want everything to be
perfect.  My problem is that I don't know which way to mount
the rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms.

There are two ways that this can be done:  With the loose
end CLOSE to the wall, or it could be AWAY from the wall.
I don't know what the implications are with either way.
This problem has had me SO upset that I haven't had a good
nights sleep for several days.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

DISCLAIMER
	I am not responsible for what I write, My employer is.

	I am not responsible for spelling errors.  My computer is
	plugged into the same circuit as my washing machine, and
	every time the machine switches cycles, noise is generated,
	and the words get spelled wrong.

Pete Hickey
                Mail: Dept. of Computer Science,
		      University of Ottawa,
                      34 Somerset St. East,
		      Ottawa, Ont., Canada K1N 9B4
		Phone: (613) 564-5424
USENET:
{cornell,uw-beaver}!utcsrgv!dciem!nrcaero!uottawa!pete
{allegra,decvax,duke,floyd,ihnp4,linus}!utzoo!dciem!nrcaero!uottawa!pete

BITNET:
	ACNSL@UOTTAWA

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (09/22/85)

> I'm having a party this weekend, and I want everything to be
> perfect.  My problem is that I don't know which way to mount
> the rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms.
> Pete Hickey

This is a puzzler, especially with strangers.  You have to find out
whether the majority of your guests are bunchers or folders.  As you
already know, the civilized world is divided this way -- many famous
men and women have been bunchers, although Einstein Himself was a
folder -- anyway, if most are bunchers (the most likely distribution)
then mount the rolls so the loose end comes off the bottom, nearest
the wall.  If the majority are folders (less likely, but possible)
then the papers should roll off the top, with the loose end farthest
from the wall.  If the guests are evenly divided ... aw, hell, just ask
an odd number of people and don't worry about it.

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (09/23/85)

In article <90@uottawa.UUCP> pete@uottawa.UUCP (Peter Hickey) writes:

>I'm having a party this weekend, and I want everything to be
>perfect.  My problem is that I don't know which way to mount
>the rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms.
>
>There are two ways that this can be done:  With the loose
>end CLOSE to the wall, or it could be AWAY from the wall.
>I don't know what the implications are with either way.

Oh, boy... not *this* again!?!?  Ann Landers, or maybe it was Dear Abby,
beat this one to death in her column about 10-15 years ago.  She settled
the question once and for all by quoting an executive of a TP company,
who favored the loose end AWAY from the wall 'cause that's the side
the floral patterns (they still have them?) were printed on.

AWR

pumphrey@ttidcb.UUCP (Larry Pumphrey) (09/23/85)

> I'm having a party this weekend, and I want everything to be
> perfect.  My problem is that I don't know which way to mount
> the rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms.
> Pete Hickey

It depends on whether you're holding your party north of the equator.

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (09/24/85)

> I need some help.  I know that this is not nte.ettiquitte, but
> I guess its the closest there is.
>
> I'm having a party this weekend, and I want everything to be
> perfect.  My problem is that I don't know which way to mount
> the rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms.
>
> There are two ways that this can be done:  With the loose
> end CLOSE to the wall, or it could be AWAY from the wall.
> I don't know what the implications are with either way.
> This problem has had me SO upset that I haven't had a good
> nights sleep for several days.
>

> Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Everybody knows that its put with the loose end CLOSE to the wall

yrdbrd@bmcg.UUCP (Larry J. Huntley) (09/24/85)

In article <1893@bmcg.UUCP> bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) writes:
>> ........  My problem is that I don't know which way to mount
>> the rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms.
>>
>> There are two ways that this can be done:  With the loose
>> end CLOSE to the wall, or it could be AWAY from the wall.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>>

>Everybody knows that its put with the loose end CLOSE to the wall

Tsk, tsk, tsk.  I'm surprised at you, Bob.  A successful, big-time
newspaper publisher like yourself making a mistake like this.  The
loose end goes AWAY from the wall.  That way you can see the pretty
flowers or bunnies or birdies or hand grenades printed on the paper
as the loose end hangs..er..drapes off of the roll.  Also, that is
the way Archie Bunker preferred his toilet paper.  Ergo, this is the
proper way.  QED.

Get with it, Bob.  You wouldn't want to wind up in court, would you?

'brd
--
Larry J. Huntley            Burroughs Corporation
                      Distributed Systems Group   MS-703

When in Reality, do as the Realists do.

ginger@ihuxw.UUCP (Berg) (09/24/85)

> I need some help.  I know that this is not nte.ettiquitte, but
> I guess its the closest there is.
>
> I'm having a party this weekend, and I want everything to be
> perfect.  My problem is that I don't know which way to mount
> the rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms.
>
> There are two ways that this can be done:  With the loose
> end CLOSE to the wall, or it could be AWAY from the wall.
> I don't know what the implications are with either way.
> This problem has had me SO upset that I haven't had a good
> nights sleep for several days.

According to Ann Landers (like she's an expert or something) the loose
end goes on the side AWAY from the wall.  Personally, I like it the other way.

Remember: No job is finished till the paper work is done!

> Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> DISCLAIMER
> 	I am not responsible for what I write, My employer is.
>
> 	I am not responsible for spelling errors.  My computer is
> 	plugged into the same circuit as my washing machine, and
> 	every time the machine switches cycles, noise is generated,
> 	and the words get spelled wrong.
>

> Pete Hickey
>                 Mail: Dept. of Computer Science,
> 		      University of Ottawa,
>                       34 Somerset St. East,
> 		      Ottawa, Ont., Canada K1N 9B4
> 		Phone: (613) 564-5424
> USENET:
> {cornell,uw-beaver}!utcsrgv!dciem!nrcaero!uottawa!pete
> {allegra,decvax,duke,floyd,ihnp4,linus}!utzoo!dciem!nrcaero!uottawa!pete
>
> BITNET:
> 	ACNSL@UOTTAWA

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (09/24/85)

> In article <1893@bmcg.UUCP> bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) writes:
> >> ........  My problem is that I don't know which way to mount
> >> the rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms.
> >>
> >> There are two ways that this can be done:  With the loose
> >> end CLOSE to the wall, or it could be AWAY from the wall.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for your assistance.
> >>

> >Everybody knows that its put with the loose end CLOSE to the wall
>
> Tsk, tsk, tsk.  I'm surprised at you, Bob.  A successful, big-time
> newspaper publisher like yourself making a mistake like this.  The
> loose end goes AWAY from the wall.  That way you can see the pretty
> flowers or bunnies or birdies or hand grenades printed on the paper
> as the loose end hangs..er..drapes off of the roll.  Also, that is
> the way Archie Bunker preferred his toilet paper.  Ergo, this is the
> proper way.  QED.
>
> Get with it, Bob.  You wouldn't want to wind up in court, would you?
>
> 'brd
> --
> Larry J. Huntley            Burroughs Corporation
>                       Distributed Systems Group   MS-703
>                   10850 Via Frontera   San Diego, CA  92128
>                               (619)  485-4544

Larry NO   NO   NO. Remember in the movie "Smokey and the Bandit"
Sherrif Buford T. Pusser, Texas Ranger, left the bathroom and was
dragging a long roll behind him. Of course it got caught in his
aaaaaaa belt, shall we say. If the loose end was in to the wall he
wouldn't gotten caught and looked stupid. I stand by my earlier
judgement.

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (09/24/85)

> > >Everybody knows that its put with the loose end CLOSE to the wall
> >
> > Tsk, tsk, tsk.  I'm surprised at you, Bob.  A successful, big-time
> > newspaper publisher like yourself making a mistake like this.  The
> > loose end goes AWAY from the wall.  That way you can see the pretty
> > flowers or bunnies or birdies or hand grenades printed on the paper
> > as the loose end hangs..er..drapes off of the roll.  Also, that is
> > the way Archie Bunker preferred his toilet paper.  Ergo, this is the
> > proper way.  QED.
> >
> > Get with it, Bob.  You wouldn't want to wind up in court, would you?
> >
> > 'brd
> > --
> > Larry J. Huntley            Burroughs Corporation
> >
> Larry NO   NO   NO. Remember in the movie "Smokey and the Bandit"
> Sherrif Buford T. Pusser, Texas Ranger, left the bathroom and was
                    ^^^^^^
EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME. I MEANT JUSTICE NOT PUSSER.

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (09/24/85)

> I need some help.  I know that this is not nte.ettiquitte, but
> I guess its the closest there is.
> I'm having a party this weekend, and I want everything to be
> perfect.  My problem is that I don't know which way to mount
> the rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms.
> There are two ways that this can be done:  With the loose
> end CLOSE to the wall, or it could be AWAY from the wall.
> I don't know what the implications are with either way.
> This problem has had me SO upset that I haven't had a good
> nights sleep for several days.
> Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Take the toilet paper roll and drill a 1" hole in the center, perpendicular
to the axis of the cylinder.  Insert the toilet paper holding tube through
this hole.  In this way, you can alternate whether the loose end is close to
or away from the wall as the mood strikes you, by rotating it about the
drilled axis.

This also prevents the women from using too much....OUCH!!! STOP THROWING
THOSE SLUGS AT ME!!  OUCH! OUCH!........NO!  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

"Out of my way, I'm a scientist!"
			- War of the Worlds

sms@panda.UUCP (Steve M. Shields) (09/25/85)

Try mounting it on it's side.

Try mounting it out of arms reach.

Try hiding it from them altogether.

Be origional, use hardcopy printouts of net.bizarre.

kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) (09/25/85)

> I need some help.  I know that this is not net.ettiquitte, but
> I guess its the closest there is.
>
> I'm having a party this weekend, and I want everything to be
> perfect.  My problem is that I don't know which way to mount
> the rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms.
>
> Pete Hickey

   Pervert!  Why don't you keep your twisted sexual preferences to
yourself?  I mean, mounting toilet paper rolls?  And you're having
a toilet roll orgy this weekend?  I bet you sit around during the
week squeezing the Charmin.  Why don't you try it with a member of
your own species (gender of your discretion) for a change?  You are
really bizarre!

---
Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,ihnp4!nsc}!voder!kevin

"It's a sort of threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (09/26/85)

> I need some help.  I know that this is not nte.ettiquitte, but
> I guess its the closest there is.
>
> I'm having a party this weekend, and I want everything to be
> perfect.  My problem is that I don't know which way to mount
> the rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms.
>
> There are two ways that this can be done:  With the loose
> end CLOSE to the wall, or it could be AWAY from the wall.
> I don't know what the implications are with either way.
> This problem has had me SO upset that I haven't had a good
> nights sleep for several days.
> Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>
> Pete Hickey

  Well, Pete, this is a problem with which man has struggled for generations.
I asked several gurus, a holy man, a bum, and local etiquette wiz Mr. Manners
and this was their unanymous opinion:

   To avoid any conflict, toilet paper should not be hung at all, but should
be hand-separated into little individual squares and stacked on the toilet
tank next to the air freshener disguised as an owl.

  -Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die!

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (09/26/85)

This led to one of the longest and hardest fought debates ever in Ann Landers'
column a few years ago.  I believe that they resolved that the loose end
comes over the top, and hangs down toward the user.  I disagree, feeling
quite strongly that it should hang the other way.

But what do I know?  I do software.

--Evan Marcus
--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

There was a major earthquake today in the tiny African country of Togo...

btc@hp-pcd.UUCP (btc) (09/27/85)

I've always found that the most elegant solution is to spray paint a
plumber's helper to match the bathroom colors.  This can now serve as
a holder for at least 3 rolls.  If you and your friends are having a
prune party, this can be a real life saver.

mcdonald@sask.UUCP (Shane McDonald) (09/27/85)

> > My problem is that I don't know which way to mount
> > the rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms.
> > Pete Hickey
>
> If the majority are folders (less likely, but possible)
> then the papers should roll off the top, with the loose end farthest
> from the wall.  If the guests are evenly divided ... aw, hell, just ask
> an odd number of people and don't worry about it.
> Ed Nather

Wait a minute!  I'm a folder, and I prefer the paper to roll
out the bottom.  Maybe that's because when I was very young,
I was a buncher.
--
Shane McDonald
(ihnp4!sask!mcdonald)

russ@ihuxf.UUCP (Russell Spence) (09/27/85)

> ........  My problem is that I don't know which way to mount
> the rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms.

	Well, of course there's always the missionary position. Or,
	perhaps you prefer the "doggey-style" approach.  I believe that
	the Kama Sutra had a chapter on ....  What?  He didn't mean...
	Oops.  Never Mind....

	(Ouch! Just think of the paper cuts!!!)
--

						Russell Spence
						ihnp4!ihuxf!russ

dave@fluke.UUCP (Dave Van Ess) (09/27/85)

How do I mount a toilet paper roll?

Well I usually start by buying it a drink.

			Dave Van Ess
			John Fluke Mfg Co.
			Everett WA

ps	What we need now is a list of applications for the empty tube. (Known
	at our house as the "toot-ta-loo".)

tlm@wdl1.UUCP (09/27/85)

People with playful cats soon learn that it is more difficult for the
little beasts to unravel the entire roll of toilet paper if the loose
end is against the wall.

	Tina McCormick
	ARPA: tlm@ford-wdl1
        UUCP: {...!fortune}!wdl1!tlm

peter@puff.UUCP (09/27/85)

> I'm having a party this weekend, and I want everything to be
> perfect.  My problem is that I don't know which way to mount
> the rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms.
>
> There are two ways that this can be done:  With the loose
> end CLOSE to the wall, or it could be AWAY from the wall.
> I don't know what the implications are with either way.
> This problem has had me SO upset that I haven't had a good
> nights sleep for several days.

Well, my dad remarried a little while back and we had a similar problem.
She liked it ONE way, while he liked it the other. When Christmas came around,
the dispute was still not settled, so the kids took roles of toilet paper,
cut them in half with an electric saw, and mounted them on sticks.
VOILA!

inc@fluke.UUCP (Ensign Benson, Space Cadet) (09/27/85)

> How do I mount a toilet paper roll?
>
> Well I usually start by buying it a drink.

Me too, me too! Good starting lines are "Do you come here often" and
"What's your sign?"

> 			Dave Van Ess
>
> ps	What we need now is a list of applications for the empty tube.
>       (Known at our house as the "toot-ta-loo".)

There must be at least 101 uses for those old spent, dismounted tootaloos.
(Great name, by the way.)

Here is a partial list of things I have used them for:

    1) Periscope. Takes three tootaloos, two mirrors, and some Contact (tm)
       paper to decorate. Also kaleidoscopes, telescopes (GO HALLEY!) and
       scanning electron microsopes. For this last, you'll need a few other
       parts than for your basic periscope.

    2) Little bitty shipping containers. Good for small posters (Dave Van
       Ess is a big poster, however, so they wouldn't work for one of
       them.) Also can be used for sending home those little bottles of booze
       they sell on aeroplanes.

    3) Crystal radio coil. Lacquer it, poke two holes in it and wrap some
       wire around it. H-P makes an instrument for figuring out the
       capacitor you need, so the wire size and number of turns is
       unimportant -- just keep the color field oriented perpendicular.

    4) Tootaloo kazoo. This takes some work, but the other major parts are a
       large "spoon" fishing lure, a bit of waxed paper, three Canadian
       dimes, two drops of super glue, a number 3 wapner, and Contact (tm)
       paper for decoration.

    5) Cement form for making columns for model Greek temples. I do this
       *all* the time!

    6) Removal handles for fluorescent lights. You have to cut the toot
       along it's length, so be sure not to use one you had set aside for
       your scanning electron microscope.

    7) Cylindrical caskets for deceased microprocessor chips. For this
       application, I usually line the toot with velveteen (or Velveeta) and
       cover it with wood-grain Contact (tm) paper.

    8) Privacy chambers for Habitrails. My hamster likes to undress in the
       closet, and I've made little bitty coat hangers from paper clips.

    9) Bomber-sized rolling machine. This takes basically the same parts as
       for the kazoo, only more. A fairly efficient bong (87%) can also be
       constructed for those who aren't into rolling.

   10) One-shot Polish microcannon. Tape three together, plug one end, poke
       a hole near the plugged end, squirt in half a teaspoon of lighter
       fluid, insert a ping-pong ball in the open end, shake it up, and
       light the hole. BE CAREFULL!! Hamsters freak out when these things go
       off while they're undressing. Mine is still pissed off about an
       incident that occurred last St. Swiven's Day.

I have complete plans for all these devices, and you can get a cassette tape
of this posting by sending two dollars in stamps or coin to the Merkle Press.

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE *** <mindless programmer's brainstorm
*** BUT, SIR, THAT LINE *IS* MY MESSAGE *** <brainless posters riposte

--
			       Ensign Benson
			       -Space Cadet-

    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-The Digital Circus, Sector R-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) (09/28/85)

  > From: showard@udenva.UUCP (showard)
  >
  > > I need some help.  I know that this is not nte.ettiquitte, but
  > > I guess its the closest there is.
  > >
  > > I'm having a party this weekend, and I want everything to be
  > > perfect.  My problem is that I don't know which way to mount
  > > the rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms.
  >
  > To avoid any conflict, toilet paper should not be hung at all, but
  > should be hand-separated into little individual squares and stacked
  > on the toilet tank next to the air freshener disguised as an owl.

I avoid this problem entirely by using the fanfold toilet paper with
the little sprocket holes in the edges. (Much wider too!) There's
usually plenty of it available at the C.S. Center.
--
All characters mentioned herein are fictitious. Any similarity to
actual characters, ASCII or EBCDIC is purely coincidental.

						Fred Blonder (301) 454-7690
						Fred@Maryland.{ARPA,CSNet}
						seismo!umcp-cs!fred

crandell@ut-sally.UUCP (Jim Crandell) (09/28/85)

>Well, my dad remarried a little while back and we had a similar problem.
>She liked it ONE way, while he liked it the other. When Christmas came around,
>the dispute was still not settled, so the kids took roles of toilet paper,...

I've had that role too, but I didn't take it voluntarily.
--

    Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin
               {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!crandell

fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) (09/28/85)

  > From: peter@puff.UUCP
  >
  > Well, my dad remarried a little while back and we had a similar
  > problem.  She liked it ONE way, while he liked it the other. When
  > Christmas came around, the dispute was still not settled, so the
  > kids took roles of toilet paper . . .
              ^^^^^

	That's disgusting!

I've heard of some weird things being used as toilet paper, but your
own children?
--

stpeters@steinmetz.UUCP (deity) (09/28/85)

> > ... My problem is that I don't know which way to mount
> >the rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms.
> >
> ... settled
> the question once and for all by quoting an executive of a TP company,
> who favored the loose end AWAY from the wall ...

If you have a kitten, you learn to mount the loose end TOWARD the wall,
etiquette be damned. ("... oooh, this is nice and soft, and I need to
practice 'sharpening my claws' ... whee! this is fun! ...")
--
R. L. St.Peters (Dick)        The "R" is for "Reptile".
uucp: decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!edison!steinmetz!stpeters (uucp is forever)

manheimer@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Ken Manheimer) (09/29/85)

Egads.  Everybody nose you mount toilet paper rolls like a missionary.

Cogito ergo spud		(i think therefore a yam)

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (09/30/85)

I find it hard to believe that this discussion has been going on so long;
but I guess that's just what happens when "unmentionables" get out into the
open.

If you have small children, you should mount the rolls with the loose end
coming off the back.  That way they won't roll the paper off onto the floor
when they discover you can hit it and make it go 'round.

Otherwise, you mount it the other way, so that you don't get the wall
grimy hitting your knuckles on it all the time trying to grab the end of
the roll, forcing you to repaint.

This posting is not bizarre.
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP: Ofc:  ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (10/01/85)

> I've always found that the most elegant solution is to spray paint a
> plumber's helper to match the bathroom colors.  This can now serve as
> a holder for at least 3 rolls.  If you and your friends are having a
> prune party, this can be a real life saver.

An ex-friend of mine in Bizarre California would doctor his john prior to
a party by shutting off the water, flushing, and then filling the empty
toilet bowl with hot, clear gelatin.  When it cooled and set, it looked
just like water.  Didn't act quite like water at the party, though.
--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin
{allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!nather
nather@astro.UTEXAS.EDU

cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) (10/01/85)

I used to have a dog that did that.. but that's another story...

			 Jeff Cushner @
			 Citicorp-TTI
			 Santa Monica CA 90405
			 (213) 450-9111 x2273

	      {randvax,trwrb,vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcb!cushner

    ** The above comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of   **
    ** Citicorp-TTI and if the corporation wants them to, they'll have **
    ** to pay through the nose for the rights!                         **

crandell@ut-sally.UUCP (Jim Crandell) (10/02/85)

>An ex-friend of mine in Bizarre California would doctor his john prior to
>a party by shutting off the water, flushing, and then filling the empty
>toilet bowl with hot, clear gelatin.  When it cooled and set, it looked
>just like water.  Didn't act quite like water at the party, though.

Great idea.  On one condition, though.  Presumption is that someone there
is gonna get so blasted that he's got no hope of getting home by any means.
Then you can offer to let him stay overnight in exchange for rebuilding
the bathroom.
--

    Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin
               {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!crandell

shilling@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/03/85)

    The only reason to put toilet paper with the loose end close to the
wall is if you have small children around.  This keeps the toilet paper
from unrolling all over the floor when the small children play with the
roll by spinning it.  In any other case the loose end of the roll should
be hung away from the wall for simple reason of convenience.

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (10/04/85)

> Wait a minute!  I'm a folder, and I prefer the paper to roll
> out the bottom.  Maybe that's because when I was very young,
> I was a buncher.
> Shane McDonald

That promotion is permitted.  The reverse -- folder to buncher -- is
not, because it violates the second law of thermodynamics.

--

haeckel@stolaf.UUCP (Paul C. Haeckel) (10/04/85)

/*** numerous people have written ****/

> > >Everybody knows that its put with the loose end CLOSE to the wall
> >
> > Tsk, tsk, tsk.  I'm surprised at you, Bob.  A successful, big-time
> > newspaper publisher like yourself making a mistake like this.  The
> > loose end goes AWAY from the wall.  That way you can see the pretty
> > flowers or bunnies or birdies or hand grenades printed on the paper
> > as the loose end hangs..er..drapes off of the roll.  Also, that is
> > the way Archie Bunker preferred his toilet paper.  Ergo, this is the
> > proper way.  QED.
> >
> > Get with it, Bob.  You wouldn't want to wind up in court, would you?
> >
> > Larry J. Huntley            Burroughs Corporation
> >
> Larry NO   NO   NO. Remember in the movie "Smokey and the Bandit"
> Sherrif Buford T. Pusser, Texas Ranger, left the bathroom and was
> dragging a long roll behind him. Of course it got caught in his
> aaaaaaa belt, shall we say. If the loose end was in to the wall he
> wouldn't gotten caught and looked stupid. I stand by my earlier
> judgement.

This is what I love about USENET -- there are always so many
important technical discussions going on. :-) I think it's
about time we got the Stupid People's Court in on this and
settled it once and for all.

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (10/04/85)

> > I've always found that the most elegant solution is to spray paint a
> > plumber's helper to match the bathroom colors.  This can now serve as
> > a holder for at least 3 rolls.  If you and your friends are having a
> > prune party, this can be a real life saver.
>
> An ex-friend of mine in Bizarre California would doctor his john prior to
> a party by shutting off the water, flushing, and then filling the empty
> toilet bowl with hot, clear gelatin.  When it cooled and set, it looked
> just like water.  Didn't act quite like water at the party, though.

But who got to clean it up?

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (10/04/85)

In article <726@wdl1.UUCP> tlm@wdl1.UUCP writes:
>People with playful cats soon learn that it is more difficult for the
>little beasts to unravel the entire roll of toilet paper if the loose
>end is against the wall.
>
>	Tina McCormick
>	ARPA: tlm@ford-wdl1
>        UUCP: {...!fortune}!wdl1!tlm

People with playful elephants run into the same problem but they find that
it is better to let the elephant unravel the whole roll rathere than he/she
getting angry because they can't reach the loose end so they enlargen the
bathroom with a swing of their trunk.

There is one solution that no one brought up--we could all do as they do
in certain parts of Asia--use our left hands--no paper involved. But,
then again, this might lead to another discussion in net.social regarding
left handedness vs. right handedness.

--

Another wunnerful letter from the semi-intelligent rotting brain of:

                              Paul Kirsch
                              St. Joseph's University
                              Philadelphia, Pa

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!kirsch

I'm outside right now...do you know where your children are ? (snicker)

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (10/04/85)

> ps	What we need now is a list of applications for the empty tube.
>       (Known at our house as the "toot-ta-loo".)

No, no.   It is a der-der.   So called because you put it to your lips
and say "der der der der..."

Back in my hippie days, they were used to make easily flushable hash
pipes.  Ah yes, those days are gone forever, but the memories linger on.

Now in these latter days of yuppiedom, you should use them to hold
the coiled cord for your Cuisinart when it is not in use.

--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

        Your god may be dead, but mine aren't.

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (10/06/85)

> > An ex-friend of mine in Bizarre California would doctor his john prior to
> > a party by shutting off the water, flushing, and then filling the empty
> > toilet bowl with hot, clear gelatin.  When it cooled and set, it looked
> > just like water.  Didn't act quite like water at the party, though.
>
> But who got to clean it up?

A bucket of hot water, poured slowly, did the job very neatly in less than
two minutes.

Better wait until the hangover is gone, however.

--

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (10/08/85)

In article <56400002@uiucdcsp> shilling@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>    The only reason to put toilet paper with the loose end close to the
>wall is if you have small children around.  This keeps the toilet paper
>from unrolling all over the floor when the small children play with the
>roll by spinning it.  In any other case the loose end of the roll should
>be hung away from the wall for simple reason of convenience.

There are several other solutions to this problem that my mother used to
use:

1) You can wire the electrical wires in the house directly to the the sink
   so your children will die if they get too close to the bathroom

2) Make your children use the backyard and keep a lock on the bathroom
   so only you can use it

--

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (10/11/85)

> Back in my hippie days, they were used to make easily flushable hash
> pipes.

A "flushable hash pipe"?  Is that a new interprocess communication facility
you guys are coming out with?  Maybe one you can lseek on?