[net.bizarre] Orphaned Response

perry@hp-dcd.UUCP (perry) (07/31/85)

Ah, you sly devil, you won't get me to buy a Cray this easily !

/********************************************************************/
int fv[N];	/* initialize to a UNIQUE value */

f(n)
register int n;
{
	if (n <= 1)
		return(1);
	if (fv[n] == UNIQUE)
		fv[n] = f(n - f(n-1)) + f(n - f(n-2));

	return(fv[n]);
}
/********************************************************************/

Wetware will always be better than hardware.  Bizarreness aside, what is
the order of this function, done recursively without the lookup table ?

Perry Scott
...{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!perry-s

trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jon) (08/17/85)

Good evening.  May I have a moment of your time?  Good, now that I do,
let me talk to you about a problem that affects all of us.  I want to
talk to you all about the orphaned response problem.  Now, I'm sure
all of you have seen them, all across the net, but have any of you
ever given them a second thought?  Probably not, and you've probably
forgotten about them five minutes after you've seen them.  Think, if
you will, about the plight of the orphaned response.

Who knows where they've come from.  All that matters is that they're
there, and they have everyplace to go, and the can never call anywhere $HOME.
Some people read them, others pass them by, and others want to get rid
of them.  Who cares about these poor orphans?  Well, it appears that
no one does.

If you care, you can do something about it.  You can adopt an orphaned
response.  It may be a difficult and thankless job, but you can take
comfort in knowing that you're helping someone in great need.  Adoption
is cheap, and only costs pennies a day for the disk space required.
Please find it in your hearts to show that you care.  Thank you.

Send no contributions to:

--

					   Jonathan D. Trudel
					arpa:trudel@ru-blue.arpa

matt@prism.UUCP (08/23/85)

> /* Written 10:01 am  Aug 19, 1985 by eric@grkermi in prism:net.bizarre */
>
> In article <773@panda.UUCP> dpn@panda.UUCP (Disco Duck) writes:
> >>\"\t\f1A\h'+1m'\f4\(mo\h'+1m'\f1the\h'+1m'\f4\(es\t\f1\c
>
> >Look, I may not be an expert on linguistics, but even a cursory glance at
> >this reveals that it is clearly the language of a SPACE ALIEN!!!
>
> 	Pardon my dear coleague here at Twin City Pizza.  You see, we
> recently started adding guar gum to our pizza, and he still hasn't
> recovered from the shock.  He was carried away last night while stuck
> repeating the words "space aliens" in the style of a Gregorian chant.
>
> /* End of text from prism:net.bizarre */

Speaking as one of the Space Aliens here on Earth on our mission of conquest,
I would like to thank eric@grkermi for his kind assistance in allaying any
suspicions that might have been aroused by dpn@panda's recognition of our
language.  Eric, you will be suitably rewarded.  As for the rest of you...
<gnash, slurp, licking of chops>

bob@pedsgd.UUCP (Robert A. Weiler) (08/24/85)

In article <3318@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jon) writes:

>Good evening.  May I have a moment of your time?  Good, now that I do,
>let me talk to you about a problem that affects all of us.  I want to
>talk to you all about the orphaned response problem.  Now, I'm sure
>all of you have seen them, all across the net, but have any of you
>ever given them a second thought?  Probably not, and you've probably
>forgotten about them five minutes after you've seen them.  Think, if
>you will, about the plight of the orphaned response.
>
>Who knows where they've come from.  All that matters is that they're
>there, and they have everyplace to go, and the can never call anywhere $HOME.
>Some people read them, others pass them by, and others want to get rid
>of them.  Who cares about these poor orphans?  Well, it appears that
>no one does.
>
>If you care, you can do something about it.  You can adopt an orphaned
>response.  It may be a difficult and thankless job, but you can take
>comfort in knowing that you're helping someone in great need.  Adoption
>is cheap, and only costs pennies a day for the disk space required.
>Please find it in your hearts to show that you care.  Thank you.
>Send no contributions to:
>
>--
>
>					   Jonathan D. Trudel

At last a worthy thing to stage the charity event of the Century. Ive
been waiting a Month for this. The bats are gone now and is time for...
 < Dramatic Pause >

		*** NET AID ***

The 24 hour netwide celebrity poster event to benefit ORPHANED RESPONSES.
These postings need our help, and we cant do it alone. So if you know
of a former great poster now communing in the mountains of Tibet, get
him/her/it on line RIGHT NOW. Also I think this is a good time for
some of the current great posters to work together for the FIRST TIME
ANYWHERE. So come, lets get it together. The eyes of the world are
upon us.

Bob Weiler

PS. Lets start submitting those NET AID T-shirt designs right now so theyll
	be ready for the big event.

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (08/27/85)

In article <247@pedsgd.UUCP> bob@pedsgd.UUCP (Robert A. Weiler) writes:
>In article <3318@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jon) writes:

>>If you care, you can do something about it.  You can adopt an orphaned
>>response.  It may be a difficult and thankless job, but you can take
>>comfort in knowing that you're helping someone in great need.  Adoption
>>is cheap, and only costs pennies a day for the disk space required.
>>Please find it in your hearts to show that you care.  Thank you.
>>Send no contributions to:
>>
>>					   Jonathan D. Trudel
>
>At last a worthy thing to stage the charity event of the Century. Ive
>been waiting a Month for this. The bats are gone now and is time for...
> < Dramatic Pause >
>
>		*** NET AID ***
>
>The 24 hour netwide celebrity poster event to benefit ORPHANED RESPONSES.
>These postings need our help, and we cant do it alone. So if you know
>of a former great poster now communing in the mountains of Tibet, get
>him/her/it on line RIGHT NOW. Also I think this is a good time for
>some of the current great posters to work together for the FIRST TIME
>ANYWHERE. So come, lets get it together. The eyes of the world are
>upon us.
>
>Bob Weiler

Don't do it.  I adopted an orphaned response about a year ago, and since then
my life has been hell.  It raped my cat, tortured my grammar, fractured my
fairytales, and emptied my bitbucket into the Charles River, causing me
trouble with the EPA.

Let the little nogoods suffer, or better yet, in the tradition of Jonathan
Swift

		A MODEST PROPOSAL

 send 'em to Ethiopia, with a recipe book.  If you let one of these pitiful
orphans into your life, you might as well use your hairdryer in the bathtub.

You have been warned.

Disclaimer:  For all I know it is the policy of wjr and his company to adopt
orphaned responses, but I sure hope not.

				STella Calvert
				(guest on ...!decvax!frog!wjr)

		Every man and every woman is a star.

ayers@convexs.UUCP (09/13/85)

/* Written  6:36 pm  Jul 30, 1985 by cagordon@watnot.UUCP in convexs:net.bizarre */
In article <2266@watcgl.UUCP> sahayman@watcgl.UUCP (Steve Hayman) writes:
>6) The guy standing over there - see him? standing next to the guy
>   with the blue shirt.

Oh...you mean the very intelligent looking guy over there? Oh yes, I see him.
/* End of text from convexs:net.bizarre */

that was me -- sorry, I just got access -- amend your list...

me &
blues, II

ayers@convexs.UUCP (09/13/85)

/* Written  6:07 pm  Aug 11, 1985 by scotth@grpwre.UUCP in convexs:net.bizarre */
/* ---------- "Re: Re: Those Slippery Slimy Slugs" ---------- */

...How about sharing this planet with the other creatures that live here?...

/* End of text from convexs:net.bizarre */

Now THATS bizarre...

blues, &
me II

ayers@convexs.UUCP (09/13/85)

>]> net.bizarre		Strange. Period.
>]
>]Too much punctuation -- try this
>]
>]net.bizarre		Strange Period.
>
>No! This is a a strange period:
>
>		  ###
>		  ###
>		   #
>		  #

no, No, NO, NIEN -- No period is a strange period
(at least that's what my sister said back in '82)

blues, II

(Sincerity -- I can fake that...)

bayes@hpfcla.UUCP (09/18/85)

Good ol' Bazza McKenzie. Jeez, mate, it's like ol' times around 'eah. Rule
3: No pooftas.

Love to see the ol' Bazz, if he shows up on cable. One of me faves while
I was living in Aussie. Anyone hears of Bazza McKenzie showing up on cable,
please post to the net.

Question: how can I tie me Kangaroo Down, if kangaroos don't have down ?
(they do have fur).

Bob's your Aunt

Bayes

bayes@hpfcla.UUCP (09/20/85)

What about the golfer Denis Watson for net.bizarre mascot?

The man's allergic to GRASS (as in lawn) of all things!

NO, NO, NOT THE AWARD!!! I'll be more bizarrer next time.
Sob...

bayes

bill@persci.UUCP (09/23/85)

In article <89800001@hpfclg.UUCP> bayes@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
>Question: how can I tie me Kangaroo Down, if kangaroos don't have down ?
>(they do have fur).
>Bob's your Aunt
>Bayes
Name him "Down"?

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

judith@proper.UUCP (Judith Abrahms) (09/25/85)

>NO, NO, NOT THE AWARD!!! I'll be more bizarrer next time.
>Sob...
>
>bayes

POOR BAYES!  Don't worry, you shall be spared.  Thank you for remembering us.

Judith (Miss Manners) Abrahms
{ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!proper!judith
Everything is data, but data isn't everything.

gene@datacube.UUCP (09/26/85)

I think that it would be a great idea for everyone to
call that 800 number and demand to talk to Jenny.
Not that you'd have to order anything......

..............but just to
tell Jenny how nice it is to see her genuinely friendly
face pixellating right on through into your living room
every single night introducing and wrapping up two minutes
of longwinded pfaff and boring marketeering resplendent with plastic
trinkets and credit card promises.

Maybe someone wants to designate the first week of October
as national 'Give a Call to Jenny Week'.

                     /|\        ihnp4!datacube!gene
Gene Hall             |         ima!inmet!mirror!datacube!gene
Datacube, Inc.      o | o       decvax!genrad!wjh12!mirror!datacube!gene
Peabody, MA     <-----|----->   decvax!cca!mirror!datacube!gene
617.535.6644        o | o       {mit-eddie,cyb0vax}!mirror!datacube!gene

                     \|/

Parts is parts and opinions is opinions, and it may be
wrong to think that you know where any of them come from.
THIS MESSAGE IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.

stevep@haddock.UUCP (10/08/85)

	I once was aquainted with two deaf, white cats called the moon units.

rocky@hpfcla.UUCP (10/15/85)

We at HP had a similar experience with our model 237 (from the series
200 family).  I think we only sold 2 (or 3 or 7) of them.  Care for a
job in Marketing?

Rocket Snoose