[net.bizarre] Bizarre Phonetic Alphabet

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (10/09/85)

From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>

I just discovered this newsgroup, and noticed something
about phonetics.
While on that subject, maybe someone can help me out on
a bizarre phonetic alphabet I once ran into.

You are probably familiar with phonetic alphabets, where a
word is used to represent a letter to eliminate ambigiuity
in pronunciation, especially when the communications
medium is poor.

Thus, the Army uses  Able, Baker, Charlie, Dog, something-or-
other, Foxtrot, etc.
(or later it bacecame Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, etc.)
There is an international standard used by
airline pilots and so on.

Anyway, a few years ago
I ran acrosss a bizarre alphabet where all the words
were deliberatley chosen so the pronunciation
was wrong, i.e. the way the first letter sounded was
not the way the word was spelled.
I only remember a few:

A = aisle
B = bdelium (a plant, the "B" is silent)
C = czar
D = Djakarta
T = tsar

Has anyone heard of this, or do you have suggestions?
This certainly seems a valid topic for this newsgroup!

Now watch, someone will tell me it was all discussed here last week!

Mike Ciaraldi
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (10/11/85)

In article <12185@rochester.UUCP> ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP writes:
>While on that subject, maybe someone can help me out on
>a bizarre phonetic alphabet I once ran into.
>I only remember a few:
>A = aisle
>B = bdelium (a plant, the "B" is silent)
>C = czar
>D = Djakarta
>T = tsar
 I can add my favorites (guaranteed to make the strings start
in the wrong place during orchestra rehearsal!) :
M = mnemonic
P = Pterodactyl
X = xylophone (or is this one two easy?)
>Now watch, someone will tell me it was all discussed here last week!

Dunno about that, but I know for sure it was disscussed next week.

        Darwin's Dad (Carl Witthoft)
	...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!carl
	@ Adaptive Optics Assoc., 54 Cambridgepark Dr.
	Cambridge, MA 02140	617-864-0201
" Buffet-Crampon R-13 , VanDoren B-45, and VanDoren Fortes ."

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (10/12/85)

<>

Note:  This is STella Calvert, a guest on this account.

In article <12185@rochester.UUCP> ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP writes:

>A = aisle
>B = bdelium (a plant, the "B" is silent)
>C = czar
>D = Djakarta

May I suggest:

 E = exterior
 G = gnome
 K = known
 M = mnemonic
 P = pneumonia

>T = tsar

So who's next, who has better ideas!

>Now watch, someone will tell me it was all discussed here last week!

No, it was discussed here NEXT week.  (Thanks, this could be fun for a day or
two! 8-)

				STella Calvert
				(guest on ...!decvax!frog!wjr)

		Every man and every woman is a star.

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/13/85)

> Anyway, a few years ago
> I ran acrosss a bizarre alphabet where all the words
> were deliberatley chosen so the pronunciation
> was wrong, i.e. the way the first letter sounded was
> not the way the word was spelled.
>
> Has anyone heard of this, or do you have suggestions?
> This certainly seems a valid topic for this newsgroup!
>
> Now watch, someone will tell me it was all discussed here last week!

It was all discussed here last week.

(I didn't want you to be disappointed.)

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"Given a choice, most people would rather not be attacked by
 horrid undersea slime creatures."

"NO!"

"Truth hurts."

judith@proper.UUCP (Judith Abrahms) (10/15/85)

>>A = aisle
>>B = bdelium (a plant, the "B" is silent)
>>C = czar
>>D = Djakarta
>
> E = exterior

Huh?

> G = gnome

H = heir, honor

> K = known
> M = mnemonic
> P = pneumonia
>
>>T = tsar

We do have X = xylophone, don't we?

J.A.

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (10/15/85)

From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>

> Anyway, a few years ago
> I ran acrosss a bizarre alphabet where all the words
> were deliberatley chosen so the pronunciation
> was wrong, i.e. the way the first letter sounded was
> not the way the word was spelled.
> I only remember a few:
>
> A = aisle
> B = bdelium (a plant, the "B" is silent)
> C = czar
> D = Djakarta
> T = tsar

Strangely enough, I'd given this a bit of thought myself, and I came up
with a few other fairly obvious ones:

P=psyche
G=Gnaw
K=Knight