[net.bizarre] Second Coming Anecdotes

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (10/16/85)

In article <515@micomvax.UUCP> diag@micomvax.UUCP (Hardware Diagnostics Group) writes:
>...I guess North Seattle is impatient for the second coming, so they are
>taking matters into their own hands....

Reminds me of the best news tease I have ever heard. Background: in 1979, a
family in Grannis, Arkansas shut themselves and their children up in
their house because "the Lord" had told them to sit there and wait for His
coming. (Those who were caught doing useful work, i.e., not waiting,
would not get raptured.) They all quit their jobs, and took their kids
out of school. I mean, these folks were SERIOUS!

Between shows one night a news tease came on that ended with "...and
the people in Grannis, Arkansas who were waiting for Jesus to come and
take them away... are GONE. Film at 10:00."

Needless to say, this hooked me into watching the news that night, to
see if anything might have happened that I had missed while I
was working. It turns out that the authorities had come and taken the
family away to jail, and took the kids into protective custody. What
a let-down! I was expecting the scoop of the century.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

(The views expressed herein are the exclusive property of Dave Kirby.
Any person, living or dead, found with the same or similar opinions
will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of law.)