[net.bizarre] odd sign

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (09/17/85)

On South DeAnza Blvd, Cupertino CA is a little sign that
advertises -

	R O B O T     C E N T E R

	D A N C E     S C H O O L

HHHmmm...
	Is that what they mean when they say their
	computers "break" down...

Gary

kendalla@iddic.UUCP (Kendall Auel) (09/20/85)

I remember a place in Orange County, I think on the corner of Western
and Knott, that advertised:

            H O T       D O G S

            F I S H     S H A K E S

The funny thing is, when I asked for a fish shake, the guy angrily told
me to leave and NEVER COME BACK!

morris@Shasta.ARPA (09/24/85)

In article <2193@iddic.UUCP> kendalla@iddic.UUCP (Kendall Auel) writes:

>I remember a place in Orange County, I think on the corner of Western
>and Knott, that advertised:
>
>            H O T       D O G S
>
>            F I S H     S H A K E S
>
>The funny thing is, when I asked for a fish shake, the guy angrily told
>me to leave and NEVER COME BACK!

There's a shop in Bathurst, NSW, Australia that advertises 'we sell every
flavour of milkshake'.   A friend of mine asked for a 'hot mullet
malted milkshake'.  Sure enough, they got a mullet from a nearby fish&chip
shop, and turned it into a milkshake.  My friend didn't tell me if he
actually drank it...  (Mullets are a particularly disgusting fish)

fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) (10/01/85)

  > From: morris@Shasta.ARPA
  >
  > There's a shop in Bathurst, NSW, Australia that advertises 'we sell
  > every flavour of milkshake'.   A friend of mine asked for a 'hot
  > mullet malted milkshake'.  Sure enough, they got a mullet from a
  > nearby fish&chip shop, and turned it into a milkshake.  My friend
  > didn't tell me if he actually drank it...  (Mullets are a
  > particularly disgusting fish)

This brings up something I've been meaning to post for awhile. Let's
have a contest: (no prize, that wouldn't be bizarre) What's the most
bizarre (not necessarily gross) thing you've ever eaten?

To get things rolling I'll post my entry:
		a vanilla ice cream and Budweiser float.
--
All characters mentioned herein are fictitious. Any similarity to
actual characters, ASCII or EBCDIC is purely coincidental.

						Fred Blonder (301) 454-7690
						Fred@Maryland.{ARPA,CSNet}
						seismo!umcp-cs!fred

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (10/02/85)

In article <> fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) writes:
>This brings up something I've been meaning to post for awhile. Let's
>have a contest: (no prize, that wouldn't be bizarre) What's the most
>bizarre (not necessarily gross) thing you've ever eaten?
>
>To get things rolling I'll post my entry:
>		a vanilla ice cream and Budweiser float.
I was at a party where they were serving blue champagne with fog rolling
out of it.  Seems the stuff was made of blue Chartreuse and champagne with
a large hunk of dry ice in the middle.  That's about the most bizarre thing
I've eaten, aside from turkey-burgers (yeccchhh).
						Carl Greenberg

Merlyn@cisden.UUCP (Merlyn) (10/02/85)

In article <406@Shasta.ARPA> morris@Shasta.UUCP (Kathy Morris) writes:
>In article <2193@iddic.UUCP> kendalla@iddic.UUCP (Kendall Auel) writes:
>>I remember a place in Orange County, I think on the corner of Western
>>and Knott, that advertised:
>>            H O T       D O G S
>>            F I S H     S H A K E S
>There's a shop in Bathurst, NSW, Australia that advertises 'we sell every
>flavour of milkshake'.   A friend of mine asked for a 'hot mullet
>malted milkshake'.  Sure enough, they got a mullet from a nearby fish&chip
>shop, and turned it into a milkshake.  My friend didn't tell me if he
>actually drank it...  (Mullets are a particularly disgusting fish)
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^
Learn to spell! That's DELICOUS.  Fried.  Yum.

				Tommy Phillips
				Florida native

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (10/03/85)

> This brings up something I've been meaning to post for awhile. Let's
> have a contest: (no prize, that wouldn't be bizarre) What's the most
> bizarre (not necessarily gross) thing you've ever eaten?
>
> To get things rolling I'll post my entry:
> 		a vanilla ice cream and Budweiser float.
> --
> 						Fred Blonder (301) 454-7690

A cup of hot chocolate with a parboiled rocky mountain grasshopper in it.
--
"Superior firepower is an      Ethan Vishniac
 important asset when          {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

jwl@lanl.ARPA (10/04/85)

In article <362@gymble.UUCP> fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) writes:

>This brings up something I've been meaning to post for awhile. Let's
>have a contest: (no prize, that wouldn't be bizarre) What's the most
>bizarre (not necessarily gross) thing you've ever eaten?
>
>To get things rolling I'll post my entry:
>		a vanilla ice cream and Budweiser float.

There once was this tall blonde with cheez-wiz! :-) :-)
--
-----------------
Disclaimer:    You want me to claim this?! H*ll, I don't even know

Where-i-iz:

 UUCP:  ihnp4!lanl!jwl
 ARPA:  jwl%b@LANL

Interesting thought:

                Betnfz unf orpbzr gur zbfg zlfgvsvrq fgngr bs srryvat.
                Abbar pna or dhvgr fher vs gurl unir vg be abg.  Vf vg
                whfg rwnphyngvba, be vf vg betnfz?
                Vf vg whfg vaibyhagnel cryivp pbagenpgvbaf, be vf bar
                univat betnfz?

                                U. Wbuafba

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (10/04/85)

In article <362@gymble.UUCP> fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) writes:
>This brings up something I've been meaning to post for awhile. Let's
>have a contest: (no prize, that wouldn't be bizarre) What's the most
>bizarre (not necessarily gross) thing you've ever eaten?
>
>To get things rolling I'll post my entry:
>		a vanilla ice cream and Budweiser float.

Beer/ice cream floats aren't bad at all... try chocolate ice cream and a
good dark beer!  I've had these many times!

OK, now to your question:  I once participated in a chocolate-chip cookie
eating contest where the only beverage available to wash 'em down with was
clam juice!  I also went to a "punk" party where the main hors d'oeuvre was
Twinkies with taco sauce.

Back in the early 70's, my college roommate and I went to the NEBA ("Nicest
Eatin' Beef Around" in Schenectady for subs.  He had this huge Afro (actually
Isro) hairdo which prompted stares from the locals... so he went back to
the counter, ordered a soft ice cream, loaded it with horseradish, and let
'em stare all they wanted while he ate it!

AWR

andy@lasspvax.UUCP (Andy Pfiffer) (10/04/85)

>To get things rolling I'll post my entry:
>		a vanilla ice cream and Budweiser float.

Among others:

	o  A Pop-Tart found on an elevator floor
	o  Brown fluid found in a plastic cup on the shore of Lake Ontario
	o  Cottage cheese and Coke
	o  A cold, left-over BigMac from the garbage of McD's

Andy
USENET:	{decvax,ihnp4,cmcl2,vax135}!cornell!devvax!andy
ARPA:	andy@devvax.tn.cornell.edu
MAIL:	Theory Center/265 Olin Hall   "What do you mean
	Cornell University             I watch too much
	Ithaca, NY  14853              TV?"
PHONE:	(607) 256-8686

shh@lanl.ARPA (10/04/85)

In article <12@utastro.UUCP> ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) writes:

> This brings up something I've been meaning to post for awhile. Let's
> have a contest: (no prize, that wouldn't be bizarre) What's the most
> bizarre (not necessarily gross) thing you've ever eaten?
>
> To get things rolling I'll post my entry:
> 		a vanilla ice cream and Budweiser float.
> --
> 						Fred Blonder (301) 454-7690

Half a nacho-ed grasshopper - threw the other half away Yeeeeeech!

bobr@zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed) (10/04/85)

> Carl Greenberg:
> I was at a party where they were serving blue champagne with fog rolling
> out of it.  Seems the stuff was made of blue Chartreuse and champagne with
> a large hunk of dry ice in the middle.  That's about the most bizarre thing
> I've eaten, aside from turkey-burgers (yeccchhh).

A very similar drink, consisting of champagne, vodka, blue Curacao, and dry
ice, with bitters and cocktail onion, has been served for the last two years
and the Mossy Back Morris Bainbridge Island Killer Ale, under the name "Pan
galactic gargle blaster."  The name may not be very original, but the drink
is, um...., surprisingly all right.
--
Robert Reed, CAE Systems Division, tektronix!teklds!bobr

mce@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Mark McEntee%CGL) (10/04/85)

In article <12@utastro.UUCP> ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) writes:

>> This brings up something I've been meaning to post for awhile. Let's
>> have a contest: (no prize, that wouldn't be bizarre) What's the most
>> bizarre (not necessarily gross) thing you've ever eaten?

A double decker white-bread sandwich, with peanut butter, jelly, butter (I
think), and lettuce on one level and bologna, mustard, and a strawberry
Pop-Tart on the second.

An equally bizarre dish was a bowl of Pac-Man cereal.

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (10/05/85)

In article <284@cisden.UUCP> Merlyn@trantor.UUCP (Tom Phillips) writes:
>In article <406@Shasta.ARPA> morris@Shasta.UUCP (Kathy Morris) writes:
>>In article <2193@iddic.UUCP> kendalla@iddic.UUCP (Kendall Auel) writes:
>>>I remember a place in Orange County, I think on the corner of Western
>>>and Knott, that advertised:
>>>            H O T       D O G S
>>>            F I S H     S H A K E S
>>There's a shop in Bathurst, NSW, Australia that advertises 'we sell every
>>flavour of milkshake'.   A friend of mine asked for a 'hot mullet
>>malted milkshake'.  Sure enough, they got a mullet from a nearby fish&chip
>>shop, and turned it into a milkshake.  My friend didn't tell me if he
>>actually drank it...  (Mullets are a particularly disgusting fish)
>                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^
>Learn to spell! That's DELICOUS.  Fried.  Yum.
>
>				Tommy Phillips
>				Florida native

Okay, so in your mind Tommy, this man can't spell. Well since you are a
Florida native, I think it's impressive that you made your way out of the jungleand learned how to speak English and stop wearing a grass skirt but, didn't
you mean "Delicious" not "Delicous"????

--

Another wunnerful letter from the semi-intelligent rotting brain of:

                              Paul Kirsch
                              St. Joseph's University
                              Philadelphia, Pa

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!kirsch

I'm outside right now...do you know where your children are ? (snicker)

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (10/05/85)

In article <362@gymble.UUCP> fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) writes:

>  > From: morris@Shasta.ARPA
>  >
>  > There's a shop in Bathurst, NSW, Australia that advertises 'we sell
>  > every flavour of milkshake'.   A friend of mine asked for a 'hot
>  > mullet malted milkshake'.  Sure enough, they got a mullet from a
>  > nearby fish&chip shop, and turned it into a milkshake.  My friend
>  > didn't tell me if he actually drank it...  (Mullets are a
>  > particularly disgusting fish)
>
>This brings up something I've been meaning to post for awhile. Let's
>have a contest: (no prize, that wouldn't be bizarre) What's the most
>bizarre (not necessarily gross) thing you've ever eaten?
>
>To get things rolling I'll post my entry:
>		a vanilla ice cream and Budweiser float.

I have several entries for this one:

        A hot dog milkshake ( From Working in a Dairy Queen)
        Cap'n Crunch with Molson on it instead of milk
        Dill pickle wedges with cool whip

(These are not a joke--HONEST--the milkshake was the only one that was good.

--

Another wunnerful letter from the semi-intelligent rotting brain of:

                              Paul Kirsch
                              St. Joseph's University
                              Philadelphia, Pa

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!kirsch

I'm outside right now...do you know where your children are ? (snicker)

jkw@lanl.ARPA (10/07/85)

I once waw a highway sign in Arkansas (I think) which said:

     -------------------------------------
	Toad Suck Ferry         3 Miles
     -------------------------------------

     Jay Wooten  Los Alamos National Lab  ARPA:jkw@lanl.ARPA

crandell@ut-sally.UUCP (Jim Crandell) (10/07/85)

>>> This brings up something I've been meaning to post for awhile. Let's
>>> have a contest: (no prize, that wouldn't be bizarre) What's the most
>>> bizarre (not necessarily gross) thing you've ever eaten?

Well, I'm a self-taught cook, see, and I haven't always been what you would
call wealthy, so over the years, I've eaten some real dillies.  Now, dillies
by themselves aren't all that bad (they're better with a little butter, and
everything's better with blue vomit on it), but after so many USDA prime
contenders, it'd be hard to pick a winner, even if they did grow on trees.
But one came up recently that really wasn't my fault, at least directly.
In a local supermarket I bought a large jar of Salsa Picante of an unknown
brand at what I first thought was really a bargain price.  Now I know better.
This stuff comes off as a thin tomato sauce, like the broth in cans of
stewed tomatoes, adroitly polluted with a conflagration of slivered half-raw
jalapen~os that would bring tears to the eyes of Pancho Villa.  Flippin'
delicious!  My first thought on tasting the stuff was, ``Gawd, this crap
needs something, desperately!''  So I dumped about half a jar of garlic
powder in it and stirred it up.  I can't say that it really improved the
stuff, but hell, why should I suffer alone?
--

    Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin
               {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!crandell

mathnews@watdcsu.UUCP (mathNEWS) (10/07/85)

>I remember a place in Orange County, I think on the corner of Western
>and Knott, that advertised:
>
>            H O T       D O G S
>
>            F I S H     S H A K E S
>
>The funny thing is, when I asked for a fish shake, the guy angrily told
>me to leave and NEVER COME BACK!

Similar to the reaction I got a McDonald's when I asked for a six-pack
of smiles to go...

                                                dwarf

--
"May your Coke always be Classic."

mathNEWS--the math student newspaper at the University of Waterloo

{allegra|clyde|linus|ihnp4|decvax}!watmath!watdcsu!mathnews          UUCP
mathnews%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet                                      CSNET
mathnews@watdcsu                                                     NETNORTH

cc1@ucla-cs.UUCP (10/07/85)

The bizzarest thing I've ever eaten has got to be a PBJ (peanut butter and
jelly sandwich) using slices of american cheese instead of bread.

lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) (10/08/85)

In article <661@ucsfcgl.UUCP> mce@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Mark McEntee) writes:
>In article <12@utastro.UUCP> ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) writes:
>>>
>>> This brings up something I've been meaning to post for awhile. Let's
>>> have a contest: (no prize, that wouldn't be bizarre) What's the most
>>> bizarre (not necessarily gross) thing you've ever eaten?

            Around some of the black neighborhoods(NOOO FLAMES!!!_IT'S
       TRUE AND THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT) of Philadelphia mayonnaise on
       pizza has become a delicacy.A humorous row ensued in a local par-
       lor when a black gentleman asked for mayonnaise on pizza and was
       roundly refused by the Greek who ran the joint.Fortunately a rep-
       resentative of the A.C.L.U was there to pick up a stromboli and he
       pointed out to the Greek that it was an infringement of civil lib-
       erties to refuse the man a mayonnaise-covered pizza if the estab-
       lishment had mayonnaise in storage.The Greek still refused and a
       court case resulted which lagged on for six weeks.

                                                  Larry Palena
                                                  St. Joseph's Univ.

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!lp102911

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (10/09/85)

fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) says:

>This brings up something I've been meaning to post for awhile. Let's
>have a contest: (no prize, that wouldn't be bizarre) What's the most
>bizarre (not necessarily gross) thing you've ever eaten?
>
>To get things rolling I'll post my entry:
>		a vanilla ice cream and Budweiser float.

My favorite is a tuna fish and potato chip sandwich.  Try it sometime!
The textural difference between the soft, mushy tuna fish and the
crunchy potato chips is fantastic!

--
\"\t\f1A\h'+1m'\f4\(mo\h'+1m'\f1the\h'+1m'\f4\(es\t\f1\c

                                                       Terry Grevstad
                                         Network Research Corporation
	                 {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry
                                            ucbvax!calma!nrcvax!terry

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (10/10/85)

Does anyone watch MTV?  They had a really weird advertisement for Punker Punch
(I think that was the name) on there, this thick green fizzy glop that is
100% preservatives.  Has this glum-looking punk rocker advised by a female
of the same species, quaffs a large glass of the stuff, and immediately goes
berserk.  If you can come up with a reasonable, nonaddictive facsimile of
that stuff, I want to get a keg of it.  (Should make mek the life of the
party...  or the death of it, heh heh heh..)
						Carl Greenberg

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (10/10/85)

<what about eating lines, isn't that bizarre?  -- posted for the line eater>

Note:  This is STella Calvert, aka mrswjr, a guest on ...decvax!frog!wjr.

In article <362@gymble.UUCP> fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) writes:
>                                                           Let's
>have a contest: (no prize, that wouldn't be bizarre) What's the most
>bizarre (not necessarily gross) thing you've ever eaten?

Good idea!  I like chocolate, cheese, and cashew omelets, myself.  The
chocolate must be demi-hemi-semi-sweet (Cote d'Or Extra Dry, if I remember the
name right, is optimal, while Nestle Milk Chocolate is SUB-pessimal), the
cheese should be the sharpest possible cheddar unless you like blue cheese
better, and the cashews should be roasted but not necessarily salted.  The
cheese goes in first, once the eggs have seized up enough to coat the pan, and
the chocolate goes in at the last minute (if you overheat the chocolate, it
gets grainy -- you want to melt it, not cremate it).

I haven't tried roast beef in this one yet, but the next time I have all the
ingredients, I think I will.

And then there's popcorn soup.  I've made some pretty good batches, but every
single one of them would have been better without the popcorn.

BTW, one of my friends likes to stick a clove of garlic into his mouth before
eating a chocolate ice cream cone.

				STella Calvert
				(guest on ...!decvax!frog!wjr)

		Every man and every woman is a star.

suki@reed.UUCP (Monica Nosek) (10/10/85)

OK, so I've never actually tried the stuff, but listen:  you
know Uncle Ben's Perverted Brand Rice?  Have you ever looked
at the back of the box?  They've got all these recipes, which
is nice and all, but one of them is for "Any Fruit Rice
Fluff".  It involves (guess!) rice, fruit (ANY fruit), and
"fluff" (i.e. Cool-Whip).  Fine.  Peaches 'n' Rice.  Or
Strawberries 'n' Rice.  But did they stop to consider that the
tomato is also a fruit?  Isn't it misleading to call it "Any
Fruit Rice Fluff" when they must know damned well that
tomatoes, rice, and Cool-Whip must be a wretched (and
retchful) combination?

I'm gonna write my congressman.

			Monica
			tektronix!reed!suki
Like my mother says, "Beatrice?!?!?  They're taking over the
world!!!"

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (10/13/85)

The Bel Canto pizzerias in Boston/suburbs offer (at last count) 22 different
pizza toppings.  (We refer to the ordering procedure as "setting the bits in
the Pizza Status Register"!)  So if you're hungry for a raisin/langostino/goat
cheese pizza...

And if you're in the mood for a punk cocktail, you can try my concoction, the
"G & G".  That's Glenlivet (single-malt Scotch) and Gatorade!

AWR

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (10/16/85)

>fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) says:
>>
>>This brings up something I've been meaning to post for awhile. Let's
>>have a contest: (no prize, that wouldn't be bizarre) What's the most
>>bizarre (not necessarily gross) thing you've ever eaten?
>>
>>To get things rolling I'll post my entry:
>>		a vanilla ice cream and Budweiser float.

This brings up an interesting question I've wondered about--
Remember on the TV show Laverne and Shirley how Laverne used to
always drink Milk and Pepsi? Has anyone tried it? If so, what was it
like?

--

Another wunnerful letter from the semi-intelligent rotting brain of:

                              Paul Kirsch
                              St. Joseph's University
                              Philadelphia, Pa

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!kirsch

Warning: Objects in Terminal Room are Closer than they Appear...