[net.bizarre] Call Forwarding loop?

pugsly@isrnix.UUCP (David Roth) (10/15/85)

If you call forward phone A to phone B and call forward phone B to phone A
this would of course cause a loop
that would keep the caller call forwarding forever.
The only way to get out of this is to call up the local phone company and
ask them to be kind enough to reboot.

"If Yoko Ono married James Coco, she would be known as Yoko Coco."

                        David A. Roth
        ...decvax!pur-ee!isrnix!pugsly
                        Indianapolis,IN

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (10/16/85)

In article <583@isrnix.UUCP> pugsly@isrnix.UUCP (David Roth) writes:
>If you call forward phone A to phone B and call forward phone B to phone A
>this would of course cause a loop
>that would keep the caller call forwarding forever.
>The only way to get out of this is to call up the local phone company and
>ask them to be kind enough to reboot.

Some friends of mine did this once.  They found that if you had more than
8 (8?) phones in a ring at one time that ESS got slowed down in a big
way.  It didn't crash, but phone calls took a long time.  (This is their
claim.  I wasn't there so I can't swear it is true).

Sean Casey                              UUCP:  sean@ukma.UUCP   or
915 Patterson Office Tower                     {cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean
University of Kentucky                  ARPA:  ukma!sean@ANL-MCS.ARPA
Lexington, Ky. 40506-0027             BITNET:  sean@UKMA.BITNET

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (Damballah Wedo) (10/16/85)

> If you call forward phone A to phone B and call forward phone B to phone A
> this would of course cause a loop
> that would keep the caller call forwarding forever.
> The only way to get out of this is to call up the local phone company and
> ask them to be kind enough to reboot.
>
>                         David A. Roth

No. If phones A and B are on the same exchange, the software would detect it,
and would not allow the subscriber to forward B to A. Even if the phones were
on different exchanges, that would not work. Phone A is immediately marked busy
upon receipt of the incoming call, so is phone B when the forwarded call arrives.
So when B forwards back to A, it will find A busy, send busy tone back (to A)
which will send it to the caller. Not an infinite loop at all.

Sorry this answer isn't bizarre
--

Marcel-Franck Simon		ihnp4!{mhuxr, hl3b5b}!mfs

	" Sa ou pa konnin toujou pi fo pase' ou "

silber@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/16/85)

Sorry, that won't work (I tried, nasty devil that I am, I thought it would
be a good example of recursion.)  What happens is that you call up phone line
A, the call is forwarded to line B, which in turn forwards it to A, which is
busy.  (Apparently the forwarding phone is busy at least until the connection
is made.)
     One question that I have is... What happens (i.e. who pays the bill) on
a call forwarded to a long distance number? Anyone out there know?

					A. "Aardvark" Silberman

.

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (Damballah Wedo) (10/18/85)

>      One question that I have is... What happens (i.e. who pays the bill) on
> a call forwarded to a long distance number? Anyone out there know?
>
> 					A. "Aardvark" Silberman

The phone company, which takes it out of the monthly fee you pay for having
call forwarding. The person who calls phone A pays for the cost of calling
A's location, evem if A is call-forwarded across the country.