[net.bizarre] Bizarre.MUZAK

carlson@ssc-vax.UUCP (Lee R Carlson) (10/05/85)

*** REPLACE YOUR BRAIN WITH MUZAK ***

Today I was walking through the local mall and heard "1000 and 1 Strings"
playing "She-Bop" on the mall PA.  Amazing.
--

					-- Lee Carlson
					-- Boeing Errorspace, Seattle

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/07/85)

In article <265@ssc-vax.UUCP> carlson@ssc-vax.UUCP (Lee R Carlson) writes:

>*** REPLACE YOUR BRAIN WITH MUZAK ***
>
>Today I was walking through the local mall and heard "1000 and 1 Strings"
>playing "She-Bop" on the mall PA.  Amazing.

Almost as good as the MUZAK version of HIGHWAY TO HELL.

suki@reed.UUCP (Monica Nosek) (10/10/85)

A friend of mine who used to be a jazz musician in New York
(and a very good one, too) once did some Muzak recordings on
the side.  Imagine his surprise when, several years later, he
called some corporation, was put on hold, and heard himself
playin dat MUZAK on the telephone.

Well, I thought it was kind of weird.

lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) (10/10/85)

In article <617@tellab1.UUCP> barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) writes:
>In article <265@ssc-vax.UUCP> carlson@ssc-vax.UUCP (Lee R Carlson) writes:
>>
>>*** REPLACE YOUR BRAIN WITH MUZAK ***
>>
>>Today I was walking through the local mall and heard "1000 and 1 Strings"
>>playing "She-Bop" on the mall PA.  Amazing.
>
>Almost as good as the MUZAK version of HIGHWAY TO HELL.

                I heard a college marching band doing a version of the old
          Free classic "All Right Now" during the halftime break of some
          since forgotten football game.It actually worked.

                                        Larry Palena

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!lp102911

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (10/14/85)

> A friend of mine who used to be a jazz musician in New York
> (and a very good one, too) once did some Muzak recordings on
> the side.  Imagine his surprise when, several years later, he
> called some corporation, was put on hold, and heard himself
> playin dat MUZAK on the telephone.
>
> Well, I thought it was kind of weird.

There IS justice in this world!
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (10/14/85)

>                 I heard a college marching band doing a version of the old
>           Free classic "All Right Now" during the halftime break of some
>           since forgotten football game.It actually worked.
>

>                                         Larry Palena
>
> { astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!lp102911

"All Right Now" is Stanford's fight song.  I don't know if it their
official fight song, but it's what the band plays.

--

                         --Kevin Chu
                         ..ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

/ex

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (10/15/85)

In article <2365@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:
>    I heard a college marching band doing a version of the old
>Free classic "All Right Now" during the halftime break of some
>since forgotten football game.  It actually worked.

I once heard a marching band play "Roundabout"!  And, of course, there's
always the Rice University Marching Owl Band's cover of "Louie Louie"...

AWR

sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (10/15/85)

In article <149@ucdavis.UUCP> ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) writes:

>"All Right Now" is Stanford's fight song.  I don't know if it their
>official fight song, but it's what the band plays.

The University of Wisconsin marching band regularly plays the Budweiser
Song at their football games.  At the appropriate time, the crowd joins
in with "When you say Wisconsin, you've said it all!".

					Scott Anderson
					ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra

					A Badger tried and true.

dke0@bunny.UUCP (Don Ellis) (10/15/85)

> A friend of mine who used to be a jazz musician in New York
> (and a very good one, too) once did some Muzak recordings on
> the side.  Imagine his surprise when, several years later, he
> called some corporation, was put on hold, and heard himself
> playin dat MUZAK on the telephone.

I don't know if this qualifies as bizarre enough to compete with the above,
but the other day I went into a local hotel to use their pay phone.  The hotel
was playing the usual sickeningly plastic muzak.  The company I called put
me on hold and played the exact same muzak over the phone!  It was sort of
like quadraphonic.....a truly memorable experience.

-- Don Ellis
   GTE Laboratories, Waltham, MA

fred@gymble.UUCP (Fred Blonder) (10/16/85)

  > From: dke0@bunny.UUCP (Don Ellis)
  >
  > I don't know if this qualifies as bizarre enough to compete with
  > the above, but the other day I went into a local hotel to use their
  > pay phone.  The hotel was playing the usual sickeningly plastic
  > muzak.  The company I called put me on hold and played the exact
  > same muzak over the phone!  It was sort of like quadraphonic.....a
  > truly memorable experience.

Well, a doctor I used to patronize didn't have muzak (as such) on his
phone system, but his office is located near the WCAO transmitter in
Baltimore City.  I guess his phone line ran real near the tower, 'cause
you could hear the station quite clearly when you were on hold. In fact you
could hear it pretty clearly even when they were trying to talk to you.
--
All characters mentioned herein are fictitious. Any similarity to
actual characters, ASCII or EBCDIC is purely coincidental.

						Fred Blonder (301) 454-7690
						Fred@Maryland.{ARPA,CSNet}
						seismo!umcp-cs!fred

nt11777@scgvaxd.UUCP (Neal Thompson) (10/19/85)

the other day i heard a muzak version of The Police's 'King of Pain'.

--- jeeez

yeff@Navajo.ARPA (10/22/85)

by the way, th band that played teh version of "All Right Now" was none other
than:

The Leland Stanford Junior

University Marching BAND!!!

it's pretty much the "official" school song now....

jeff 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-WOOO!!!