[can.politics] CAPITAL PUNISHMENT REFERENDUM

elf@utcsrgv.UUCP (Eugene Fiume) (10/04/84)

I hope it's obvious to everyone that the recent calls for the return of the
death penalty is almost totally the result of a media blitz.  Just as the
the incredible number of polls prior to the election shaped public opinion,
instead of the other way around, the irrational over-reaction by police and
others to the obvious death-wishes of a few nutcases has been sickeningly
exploited by the media.  The behaviour of our news media is a wonderful
argument against referenda.

BTW, what is the libertarian view on the death penalty?

Eugene Fiume
U of Toronto

perelgut@utai.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) (10/04/84)

> Eugene Fiume
    >I hope it's obvious to everyone that the recent calls for the return of the
    >death penalty is almost totally the result of a media blitz.  Just as the
    >the incredible number of polls prior to the election shaped public opinion,
    >instead of the other way around,...

Are you suggesting that the media is making up poll results and influencing
public opinion, or are you suggesting that the media should not report polls
since they might tend to influence the undecided portion of the populace into
taking a stand.  My vote was not changed by the media blitz, and that holds for
most intelligent people.  Should we have gullability tests before allowing
people to vote.

thompso@utecfc.UUCP (Mark Thompson) (10/04/84)

Eugene Fiume writes:

>I hope it's obvious to everyone that the recent calls for the return of the
>death penalty is almost totally the result of a media blitz.  Just as the
>the incredible number of polls prior to the election shaped public opinion,
>instead of the other way around, the irrational over-reaction by police and
>others to the obvious death-wishes of a few nutcases has been sickeningly
>exploited by the media.  The behaviour of our news media is a wonderful
>argument against referenda.

What utter garbage! Calls for the return of capital punishment have been
heard ever since the spineless ones in Ottawa got rid of it. All the
media is doing is reporting on public opinion that is being voiced even
more vocally due to the recent rash of police slayings. How would you
feel if you were a policeman Eugene?

It has been shown that polls have little effect on public opinion. They
merely happen to report on what that opinion is at the time. You would find
that those supporting capital punishment are a consistent majority.

Sounds like you are sore about the landslide conservative victory the way
you are beefing about opinion polls but remember that they were merely
reporting what was evident - people were REALLY sick of the gang who had
been in Ottawa the last two decades.

The media has little to do with a referendum other than informing people
on current events. A referendum would be a true measure of what people
want.

Sounds like you're scared that the pro capital punishment side would
easily win!!!!!!

                                     Mark Thompson
                                     UTME

mack@ubc-vision.CDN (Alan Mackworth) (10/05/84)

	From: perelgut@utai.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut)
	Should we have gullability tests before allowing
	people to vote?

No, I vote for spelling tests.

mack@ubc-vision.CDN (Alan Mackworth) (10/05/84)

On the other hand, maybe "gullability" could be tested by throwing
people in the air and seeing if they can fly.

elf@utcsrgv.UUCP (Eugene Fiume) (10/05/84)

It cheers me to know that my psychological health is of sufficient concern
to Mark Thompson to warrant a thorough psychoanalysis.

Lookit, even politicians talk about a "bandwagon" effect.  They certainly
believe that people jump on the bandwagon which is perceived to have the
greatest public support.   For once, I find myself agreeing with politicians.
I think polls (and one-sided media coverage) have the same effect.
That is, it's not a question of whether polls etc. shape public opinion, but
how much.

Stephen suggests that "intelligent" people are not affected by such things.
That's possible, but irrelevent: "intelligent" people are in the minority
and are not likely to figure in the result of any election/referendum.
I'm not sure people are rational in their voting behaviour anyway, even
"intelligent" people.  Was the outcome of the referendum in Quebec based on
rational choice?

In my first article, I did not state how I feel about capital punishment,
though you psychoanalysts out there may have cleverly figured things out.
I just observed that if there were a referendum, the public decision would
be based on hyperbole and sensationalism.

some nutcase wastes me, and then I wouldn't feel fine.

Eugene Fiume
U of Toronto