[can.politics] Canadian Military & Industry

pkern@utcs.UUCP (01/26/85)

   Comparing aircraft statistics reveals that
the Avro Arrow (were it still around) would  have
been able to outfly the CF-18 Hornet and still have
thrust to spare.
    This is just an idle dream but does anybody think
that Canada will be able to design and build its own
all-weather fighter ever again (instead of having to
scounge around for a machine which most suits the needs
of the CAF)?
    I have this theory that if this were possible, an
aircraft designed to be able to stand up to the rigours of Canada
would be much better than any product from the south. This
then might prove marketable thus providing a decent defence
and a good number of jobs. This might also stem some of
the southbound brain drain.
   Like I said, just an idle dream.

 ..!{utzoo utcsrgv}!utcs!pkern

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (01/26/85)

If Canadians design another plane as good as the Arrow, it will likely
get the same fate as the Arrow.  The Americans refuse will to believe
that the best fighter in the world is made outside the U.S.A. and they
thus won't buy it, and will thus pressure Canada to scrap it.  Ask
Avro.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

haczegledi@watrose.UUCP (Harold A. Czegledi) (01/26/85)

<munch>

	If the political will is present (which I doubt) Canada could have
a thriving aerospace industry.  For example, several European countries
manufacture their own aircraft and generally do not rely upon U.S. built
aircraft.

	Yes, it would be nice if things were different - but don't hold
your breath.

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (01/27/85)

>If Canadians design another plane as good as the Arrow, it will likely
>get the same fate as the Arrow.  The Americans refuse will to believe
>that the best fighter in the world is made outside the U.S.A. and they
>thus won't buy it, and will thus pressure Canada to scrap it.  Ask
>Avro.
>--
>Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

This was NOT true of the Arrow.  Having just refreshed my memory of
the Arrow from a pretty detailed book on its technical aspects, I can
refute this insult to the US military.  The US was VERY interested
in the Arrow.  They supplied a modified B-52 (at the time quite a
secret aircraft) for testing the Iroquois engine.  When the Arrow was
cancelled by Diefenbaker, they tried to buy the five completed aircraft,
but Diefenbaker insisted that all plans and photographs be destroyed
and all planes be cut up and sold as scrap.  Incidentally, the UK and
the Belgians also wanted the Arrow.

As for the quality of the Arrow, no plane for 2 decades had its specs
for continued supersonic fighting ability, and no engine had the
thrust/weight ratio of the Iroquois over the same period.  No flying
Arrow had an Iroquois engine fitted.  That was supposed to go into
Arrow No. 6, which was 98% complete at the time of cancellation.  Even
so, one test flight was made at Mach 1.92, in a series of tests at
increasing speeds.

If Diefenbaker had not cancelled the Arrow, would the US have got men
on the moon by the target date of 1970?  I wonder.

The US, generally, has been much better than Canada at recognizing the
quality of Canadian work in all fields, whether technological or social.
The US bought more Ferranti FP6000 computers than Canada, for example,
before the plans had to be sold to the UK (where they became the basis
of much of the UK computer industry in the form of the ICL 1900 series).
The main reason the plans had to be sold was lack of support in Canada.

Even now, the US contracts in Canada for work they would like Canadians
to support; when Canada won't join in, they go ahead on their own, supporting
Canadian innovation.  There's lots to complain about in the US, but
anti-Canadian chauvinism in technology is not one of them.
If you want to complain about anti-Canadian chauvinism, just look around
at home.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (01/28/85)

In article <1334@dciem.UUCP> mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) writes:
>This was NOT true of the Arrow.  Having just refreshed my memory of
>the Arrow from a pretty detailed book on its technical aspects, I can
>refute this insult to the US military.  The US was VERY interested
>in the Arrow.  They supplied a modified B-52 (at the time quite a
>secret aircraft) for testing the Iroquois engine.  When the Arrow was
>cancelled by Diefenbaker, they tried to buy the five completed aircraft,
>but Diefenbaker insisted that all plans and photographs be destroyed
>and all planes be cut up and sold as scrap.  Incidentally, the UK and
>the Belgians also wanted the Arrow.

The bomber was a B-47.  I have pictures of it with the Iroquios engine
attached.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

acton@ubc-cs.UUCP (Donald Acton) (01/29/85)

In article <395@utcs.UUCP> pkern@utcs.UUCP writes:
>    I have this theory that if this were possible, an
>aircraft designed to be able to stand up to the rigours of Canada
>would be much better than any product from the south. This
>then might prove marketable thus providing a decent defence
>and a good number of jobs.

In many respects I believe this situation has already happened once with the
Arrow. (As an aside, someone in an earlier posting called the Starfighter a
CF-105 when it is in fact the CF-104 Starfighter with the CF-105 (or perhaps
CAF-105) being the designation given to the AVRO Arrow)  As pointed out the
Arrow appeared to be a plane vastly superior to anything available at the
time or on the the drawing boards in other countries. One of the problems with
the Arrow was that it couldn't be sold even though it was the best aircraft
around.  The United States wouldn't buy it because they were, and I guess
still are, busy supporting their own aircraft companies. In addition the US
placed heavy pressure on its allies to buy its equipment over that of Canada's.
After all, all Canada could offer in the arms market was the Arrow while the
US could offer much more and made use of that fact.

  According to the book "The Fall of an (the?) Arrow" the Canadian government
of the day wasn't exactly pro-American and Washington was responding in kind.
Even if the US did recognize the quality of Canada's product they weren't
about to sacrifice "their" market to Canada especially when the Canadian
government was perceived to be anti-American.  Wasn't it in the best short
term interests of the US government to see the demise of the Canadian
industry? After all they got the talent that built the Arrow and they gained
a new market for their planes.

   If Canada were again to develop a viable military aircraft industry
similar problems would no doubt appear but that doesn't mean we shouldn't
try. The government provided Canadair and DeHavilland (sp?) with several
billion dollars (about 3 billion I think) last year so they could keep
operating. In addition they are spending about 4.2 billion dollars to acquire
the CF-18 Hornets.  Taken together these moneys could have provided about
7.2 billion dollars towards a made in Canada fighter. Actually it is much
more than that given how much money the government has given the above two
companies over the last few years.  No doubt this amount of money is just a
drop in the bucket compared to the total development cost of a fighter
aircraft.  However, the intangible costs of not doing so are even greater as
the following quote from the above mentioned book says:

 "Another lesson that Canada will have to re-learn, apparently, is that
sophisticated defence industries cannot be erected overnight.  When war and
mortal danger become imminent, it is too late to set about trying to assemble
an aircraft industry, or tank and gun factories or shipyards. There is a
price to pay for keeping these facilities in existence in the piping times of
peace.  Countries which are not prepared to pay the price will ultimately
pay a far higher one."

   Donald Acton