[can.politics] sharing SDI...don't hold your breath

banner@ubc-vision.CDN (Allen Banner) (04/07/85)

This has been discussed in the arms discussion newsgroup...

From: ihnp4!mgnetp!ltuxa!tty3b!mjk@UCB-VAX.ARPA
Date: 27 Mar 85 16:59:14 CST (Wed)
To: ltuxa!mgnetp!ihnp4!ucbvax!arms-d@UCB-VAX.ARPA
Subject: Re: Arms-Discussion Digest V3 #17

 >From: ericson@NYU-CSD1.ARPA (Lars Warren Ericson)
 >	Asked about the prospect of sharing defensive weapons with the
 >	Soviet Union, as proposed by President Reagan in his re-election
 >	campaign, Mr. Ikle said such a development was "unlikely" until
 >	the Russians had agreed to abolish most of their offensive weapons.
 >I believe this is a retraction of the policy.

This isn't the first time some off the wall thing said by the President
is later corrected with the now-familiar explanation "The President misspoke."

Of course there is no intent to share SDI technology.  It will be one of
the most advanced weapons systems we have ever constructed, if it ever is
approved, and will be treated as such.  Can anyone explain to me why this
shouldn't be viewed as an offensive/defensive system?  Anything that can
shoot down missiles can shoot down satellites, blinding the Soviets
intelligence in preparation for a first strike.  Of course, the Soviets
can protect their satellites, and we can develop means to counteract the
protection, and ....  wheeeee!   Here we go, an arms race in space...

Mike Kelly

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 85 01:22:15 est
From: ericson@NYU-CSD1.ARPA (Lars Warren Ericson)
To: arms-d@MIT-MC.ARPA
Subject: Nuclear build-down/sharing technology

As for SDI: Reagan Administration officials, at least a month ago, were
reported in the New York Times to have retracted the promise to share
information on SDI implementation with the Russians.  Why are people still
talking about this as if it were policy?  Given the Reagan Administration's
past history, this was promise was easily as specious as the identification
of ketchup with vegetables.

The promise itself, regardless of the utterer, has been attacked on two
grounds: first, the Russians could not trust our designs, because we could
be giving them a Trojan Horse; second, if we were not, they could turn our
openness against us, scrutinizing our true plans for weaknesses.

...I couldn't have said it better myself! ...Al Banner