[can.politics] General research for/by the military.

eugene@utcsri.UUCP (Eugene Kligerman) (04/04/85)

My friend and I have been closely following the pro/anti SDI arguments
raging on this network.  We do not think that this sort of discussion is
appropriate in can.general, but here goes...

Question: Is all military money 'dirty money'?

We have seen a lot of SDI arguments lately, both here, in the press, and
on TV.  However, we would like to know, of all those people who have posted
anti-SDI articles, how many of them would accept money from the military at
all, never mind the SDI money.

We feel that people should not argue about SDI funding by saying that
SDI is dangerous/evil/destabilizing when in fact they believe that all
military money is dirty money.
SDI _is_ controversial, however, we do not think it should be used as a
smokescreen by people that believe any military money should not be taken.
These people should argue against military money in itself, and should
not limit the argument to pros and cons of SDI.

--

Malcolm MacPhail, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto
UUCP: {linus ihnp4 allegra floyd utzoo cornell decwrl uw-beaver}!utcsri!malcolm

Eugene Kligerman, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto
UUCP: {linus ihnp4 allegra floyd utzoo cornell decwrl uw-beaver}!utcsri!eugene

peter@yetti.UUCP (Runge) (04/10/85)

> Question: Is all military money 'dirty money'?
> We have seen a lot of SDI arguments lately, both here, in the press, and
> on TV.  However, we would like to know, of all those people who have posted
> anti-SDI articles, how many of them would accept money from the military at
> all, never mind the SDI money.
> . . . .
> SDI _is_ controversial, however, we do not think it should be used as a
> smokescreen by people that believe any military money should not be taken.
> These people should argue against military money in itself, and should
> not limit the argument to pros and cons of SDI.
> Malcolm MacPhail, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto
> Eugene Kligerman, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

I'm one of those who think that military money is "dirty". That follows
(for me) from my rejection of the aims of the military (-industrial)
establishment.  But I do not see why that prevents me from considering
SDI on its own terms as a particularly dangerous form of militarism,
and one which impinges on me directly in its impact on AI research,
thereby affecting (infecting?) an intellectual community in which I have
some interest.

By the way, the use of the term "smokescreen" is curious to say the
least.  Suppose someone is against the use of torture, and we find out
that he is also opposed to authoritarian regimes.  Does his opposition
of torture then become a 'smokescreen' for his political views? In general,
if P implies Q, and I assert Q, am I somehow being deceptive if it turns
out I also believe P??
Subject: Re: General research for/by the military.
--
   Peter H. Roosen-Runge, Department of Computer Science, York University
                          Toronto (Downsview), Ontario

                     * *Our* universe is not merely bankrupt; there remains
                     * no dividend at all; it has not simply liquidated; it
                     * is going clean out of existence ...
                     *                          H. G. Wells, 1945