[can.politics] Zundel I'm still trying to figure out this system, so bear with

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (04/29/85)

me.  I think it should be pointed out that laws generally
should reflect the needs, desires and aspirations of the
society which creates them.  The Canadian philosophy (as much as
it can be identified) seems to be fairly different from that
of the US.  We Canadians seem to view Americans are overly radical
and prone to unnecessary confrontation.  Please remember
that the Criminal Code didn't get the way it is by accident.
Each of the sections was pretty much passed because it was the
Government's perception of what the popular morality wanted.

     So what is it that we seem to want so badly?  Freedom of speech?
Sure we want that.  It's clear however that most Canadians aren't
afraid of being muzzled.  We generally, for better or worse
trust our governments to be made up of what I can only call 'under-motivated'
in the pursuit of power.  If you get to know the politicians in
your riding, you will generally come to the conclusion that they
are well meaning, bumbling and somewhat self deluded (and maybe
self important).  Multiply that times the number of seats in
parliament, and I really don't feel a lot of worry about power
hungry maniacs.  Trudeau was probably the most idealistic
politician we've ever had.  You may not have agreed with his
perception of what the 'ideal' course was, but that's part of
what idealism is all about.  You say 'd*mn the masses, I'm going
to do what's right', and then you do it, by whatever methods
your persuasion will allow.

     Idealism is not liked in Canada.  That more than any
other reason is why Trudeau was disliked by so many.