[can.politics] The new equal rights rule and taxation

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (04/17/85)

As you know, the new clause in the charter of rights that assures
equal protection and benefit from the law without discrimination of any
kind comes into effect shortly.

I know they will screw this up, but what if they took it at face value.

For example, the tax system discriminates on the basis of wealth and income.
Why are computer scientists, who almost without exception make more than
street cleaners, discriminated against by Revenue Canada?

If you took this literally, I would say it mandates one of three things:

1) A fixed tax (everybody pays the same, ie. $2000)
2) A flat rate tax (everybody pays the same percentage)
  or
3) A fixed income (everybody gets the same after-tax income)

These are all equal, and fortunately #3 is so ridiculous that nobody will
consider it.

If you want you can interpret the charter as saying, "The LAW can no longer
treat people differently."  And that includes treating them differently
because of what they do for a living.  No more special tax breaks for some
and not for others.  No more tarrifs on some goods and not on others.
No more special subsidies for some people and not for others.
Leave the decisions of the economy to the people!

--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

robertj@garfield.UUCP (Robert Janes) (04/18/85)

Sender robertj@garfield  (Robert Janes)

In article <262@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP writes:
>As you know, the new clause in the charter of rights that assures
>equal protection and benefit from the law without discrimination of any
>kind comes into effect shortly.
>
>1) A fixed tax (everybody pays the same, ie. $2000)
>2) A flat rate tax (everybody pays the same percentage)
>  or
>3) A fixed income (everybody gets the same after-tax income)
>
>Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

	Sorry but the provisions apply to only certain kinds of
discrimination such as discrimination by race, religion, sex, physical
or (maybe) mental disability, there are a few others however I don't have
a reference at hand. Furthermore this clause is qualified by two major
things:

	1) If such laws are "reasonable" discriminatory laws are
	   acceptable to maintain the functioning of the state.
	   What this means, well we will see as variuos court
	   rulings come down.

	2) Provinces can exempt specific laws from equality provisions
	   subject to a sunset clause (I think), that is after so
	   many years the exemption has to be put into place again
	   by the provincial parliament or lose effect.

	Thus the above statements concerning income and tax problems
are not really relevant. Now if the tax system could be show to be
discriminatory against woen because of their sex......

	Anyways what this all really means won't be seen for several
years as the various court cases work their way through the system to
the Supreme Court.

						Robert Janes
						Memorial University of Nfld.

dave@lsuc.UUCP (04/18/85)

In article <262@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
||As you know, the new clause in the charter of rights that assures
||equal protection and benefit from the law without discrimination of any
||kind comes into effect shortly.
|| ...  the tax system discriminates on the basis of wealth and income.

The relevant words are (s.15(1) Charter):

	"without discrimination and, in particular,
	 without discrimination based on race, national
	 or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or
	 mental or physical disability."

Nothing in there about wealth, ability or profession, Brad.

[Anyone remember the Tom Lehrer line (in the preamble to "It Makes a
Fellow Proud to be a Soldier") about how the U.S. Army not only didn't
discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, etc., but also didn't
discriminate on the basis of ability?]

Dave Sherman
--
{utzoo pesnta nrcaero utcs hcr}!lsuc!dave
{allegra decvax ihnp4 linus}!utcsri!lsuc!dave

ron@uthub.UUCP (Ron Wessels) (04/19/85)

> The relevant words are (s.15(1) Charter):
>
>	"without discrimination and, in particular,
>	 without discrimination based on race, national
>	 or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or
>	 mental or physical disability."

Just a second here.  "Mental disability"?  Does that mean that if
company 'X' refuses to hire 'John Smith' as a programmer because
X feels that John isn't bright enough to write quality programs,
John can sue for discrimination based on mental disability?
--
Ron Wessels	Computer Systems Research Institute	University of Toronto
UUCP:	{decvax,floyd,ihnp4,linus,utzoo,uw-beaver}!utcsri!ron

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (04/22/85)

> > The relevant words are (s.15(1) Charter):
> >
> >	"without discrimination and, in particular,
> >	 without discrimination based on race, national
> >	 or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or
> >	 mental or physical disability."
>
> Just a second here.  "Mental disability"?  Does that mean that if
> company 'X' refuses to hire 'John Smith' as a programmer because
> X feels that John isn't bright enough to write quality programs,
> John can sue for discrimination based on mental disability?
> --
> Ron Wessels	Computer Systems Research Institute	University of Toronto
> UUCP:	{decvax,floyd,ihnp4,linus,utzoo,uw-beaver}!utcsri!ron
> CSNET:	ron@Toronto
> ARPA:	ron%Toronto@CSNet-Relay

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think section 15 deals only with "equality
before the law", and (fortunately, in my opinion) makes no mention of the
hiring practices of private companies.

Besides, even though they sound like they should be the same, in this context
I think "disability" and "insufficient ability" mean very different things.
"Disability" means significantly below average, while "insufficient ability"
could mean not significantly above average (since John Smith's programming
ability would have to be significantly above the average Canadian's
in order for him to earn a programming job).
--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsrgv!dciem!jeff

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (04/22/85)

In article <204@uthub.UUCP> ron@uthub.UUCP (Ron Wessels) writes:
||Just a second here.  "Mental disability"?  Does that mean that if
||company 'X' refuses to hire 'John Smith' as a programmer because
||X feels that John isn't bright enough to write quality programs,
||John can sue for discrimination based on mental disability?

An interesting thought. I would think that the "such limitations
as are reasonable in a free and just society" wording would
come into play here, and the prohibition against discrimination
on the grounds of mental disability would be held to apply to
cases where there was no real justification for such discrimination
-- but it's certainly hard to know where to draw the line.
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

robinson@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jim Robinson) (04/24/85)

In article <1531@dciem.UUCP> jeff@dciem.UUCP ( Richardson) writes:
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think section 15 deals only with "equality
>before the law", and (fortunately, in my opinion) makes no mention of the
>hiring practices of private companies.

You might think that section 15 does not pertain to hiring practices
of private companies, but there are a whole lot of people out there
who wll disagree with you. It seems that many groups have got it in
their heads that section 15 somehow paves the way for "equal pay
for work of equal value". We've even got the leaders of the three
federal parties  espousing the virtues of this amazing notion.

It is most interesting, at least to me, that none of these people
is willing to explain what a radical departure this concept is from
the present way of doing things; and admit that it is nothing short
of a restructuring of the economic order. No longer would the free market
( and the unions ) decide how much an employee should be paid. In
this utopia the ever-present government would be there to *tell* an
employer what to pay his employees - supply and demand be damned.
I would have been extremely surprised if the NDP had not embraced this
idea with mega-enthusiasm, but to witness Brian M. and Co. doing likewise
leaves me shaking my head in disbelief. I also see Ontario premier Frank
Miller  intends to test out EPFWOEV in the public sector with the
intention of foisting it on all Ontarians if it works out. So much
for the fear of Frank being too conservative.

EPFWOEV aside, there is another train of thought that goes something
like this: 95% of domestic workers ( or secretaries or whathaveyou )
are women and  the low wages that these people receive is directly due
to their gender and is thus an infringement of their rights under
section 15.  I personally find this position totally untenable since
(among other reasons) it conveniently overlooks the fact that these
jobs are open to, and occupied by, both men and women; but then again
I'm not a member of one of the many SIGs who are more interested in
redistributing the wealth their way, than in creating wealth.

And let's not forget about the ex-cook for 24 Sussex who is so peeved
that the Big B fired him without even tasting his work that he is
launching a Charter suit. This, despite the fact that he was serving
"at the pleasure of Her Majesty the Queen".

For once it would be nice to hear someone tell us about the negative
aspects of these policies: like the increased cost of doing business
that would invariably be passed on to the consumer; or the increased
unemployment resulting from companies laying off workers rather than
paying them unrealistic salaries; or the decline of this country's
export sector as Canada finds it even harder to compete with countries
where workers are not paid astronomical wages.

Needless to say EPFWOEV does not attack the heart of the problem:
i.e. the relatively small percentage of women in the professions
and  other fields which have traditionally been regarded as the exclusive
domain of males. Makes a heck of a lot more sense to me to encourage
school age females to take an interest in math, science, law, etc
than to create a ridiculous new bureaucracy - but then again primary
and secondary school students don't vote, do they?

Lastly, I would like to introduce the concept of "greater pay for
work of greater value". If one assumes that EPFWOEV is fair, then
how could GPFWOGV not be fair? Considering that grocery clerks in
B.C. make more than $16 per hour (no s**t)  I think it would be only
reasonable that newly graduated university students who use even
the least bit of their education in their job should get a starting
salary in excess of this. What say you?

J.B. Robinson

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (04/29/85)

     Without doing any research, the line of reasoning which
should be applied in this situation should run something
like this:

1.  There are proper legal activities in our society.
Making money is one of them.

2.  In the pursuit of a proper purpose, we may hire people for
reasons which clearly arise from the nature of the pursuit.

3.  Since mental agility and knowhow is central to computer
programming, and kicking a soccer ball isn't, it would be
improper to discriminate against a quatraplegic in regard to the
job of programming.  It is not improper to 'discriminate' against a person who isn't able to understand the concept of
programming.

     Something like that ...

fred@mnetor.UUCP (05/01/85)

> The relevant words are (s.15(1) Charter):
>
> 	"without discrimination and, in particular,
> 	 without discrimination based on race, national
> 	 or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or
> 	 mental or physical disability."
>
> Nothing in there about wealth, ability or profession, Brad.

	It's Fred again, Dave. I don't mean to be critical, rather
I seek enlightenment. When a person, or document, refers to
'mental disability' are they not also refering to 'mental
ability'?  It seems that if a glass is half full of water
that it is also half empty of water. I've always equated
'dis_______' to mean lack of '_______'. Are you saying that
legally there is another meaning?  I know lawyers have a
language all their own and the constitution will follow the
legal conventions if anything will. Just how do you think the
courts would interpret it?

> Dave Sherman
> --
> {utzoo pesnta nrcaero utcs hcr}!lsuc!dave
> {allegra decvax ihnp4 linus}!utcsri!lsuc!dave

Cheers, 		Fred Williams
utcs!mnetor!fred

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vince Manis) (05/02/85)

The equal protection provisions of the Charter do not equate ``lack of
ability'' with ``disability''. First, there is the concept of fundamental
justice: it is clearly unjust to require an employer to hire someone with
minimal intelligence for a highly technical job. For example, we might
require a system programmer to be able to count to 20 without taking off his
shoes. On the other hand, there are many other jobs which don't require such
intellectual acuity: being a Social Credit cabinet minister is one.

Second, the disability in question is one that is irrelevant to the job at
hand. For example, a person confined to a wheelchair ought not to be barred
from a sedentary job (even though we wouldn't want to hire her as a
high-wire artist).

The point of this whole discussion is one I've made before: the intent of
the Charter is to provide equality of opportunity, and to *prevent*
infringing on people's rights. The fact that it occasionally causes us to
have to provide services to people we don't like is just one of those things
about pluralistic societies.

fred@mnetor.UUCP (Fred Williams) (05/06/85)

> The point of this whole discussion is one I've made before: the intent of
> the Charter is to provide equality of opportunity, and to *prevent*
> infringing on people's rights. The fact that it occasionally causes us to
> have to provide services to people we don't like is just one of those things
> about pluralistic societies.

	I am well aware that the intent of the people who wrote the
charter was as you state, above.  The thing that I am trying to
determine is, "How well did they succeed?"  Does the charter
actually say that a court should use common sense in the event
that a case is found where applying the charter to the letter
would be less than sensible?
	Frankly, I think the charter was poorly written and suspect
that the main reason for it's existence was to get Trudeau's
name into the history books yet again.

Cheers,		Fred Williams

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (05/11/85)

     If you think that incorporating 'common sense' is a desirable
trait for a Charter of rights, then how can you say that our Charter
is 'poorly written'?  Our charter incorporates it right in the first
Section:

"... subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as
can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society."

     Yes, to answer your question, that's what that phrase is all
about.  The right of the court to apply it's version of 'common sense'.
is built in.

     The Charter is about as good a charter as you could get, considering
the 10 provinces carping about it.