[can.politics] Colonialism and Star Wars

clarke@utcs.UUCP (06/25/85)

In article <5726@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> ...Ric and Andrew feel ... that debating on Usenet accomplishes little.
>
>I disagree, but not for the obvious reasons.  It is quite possible that
>there is little chance of the debaters changing their views as a result
>of debate.  What such discussion/debate can, and sometimes does, accomplish
>is to inform and educate the spectators.  This is not trivial.

Having at last found something I can agree with in what Henry writes :-),
let me ruminate on my own, starting with the current wearing debate on whether
or not we first-worlders got where we are by having our ancestors stomp on
the third world.

Obviously, regardless of its significance in wider circumstances, this debate
conducted in can.politics has all the consequence of a Friday-night beer
argument.  However, I think the kinds of argument being used have unhappy
implications about the assumptions underlying parts of the Star Wars
discussion.

Specifically, what we have come down to arguing is a variety of similar or
even equivalent one-sentence summaries, provided by Henry, of the relations
between European culture and all others over roughly the past millenium.  (I
think our earliest point so far has been the Renaissance, which will get you
around 1100 A.D.)  Things like, "The rise of the West to a position of
technical predominance over other cultures was due in the first place to
superior social structures,"  (not an exact quote, but I hope a reasonable
paraphrase) are extraordinarily sweeping claims that one would expect to
see only in the mature works of outstanding historians building on many
generations of previous work.  And one would expect to hear shortly afterwards
a loud chorus of disapproval.

So why do we see these assertions presented here, with no supporting
evidence and with possibly-contradictory evidence rejected as trivia that
obscure but do not disprove the point asserted?  Well, there are other
contexts where you meet claims like this:  in novels, especially science-fiction
novels, and on television documentaries like "Connections".  Here the need
to make a point quickly and have it swallowed like a pill instead of an
indigestible powder of facts leads the audience to a willing suspension of
disbelief.  (Hah!  at last... a benefit from my wife's work on Coleridge.)

But why get upset about this?  After all, it's been kind of fun trying to
poke holes in a statement I probably secretly believe, hasn't it?
Well, what makes me unhappy is that this kind of science-fictiony argument
is the same thing being used in support of Star Wars; and it's being used
by people who do have technical competence relevant to the idea of Star
Wars.  Unfortunately, nobody has technical competence covering the whole
area, and we're seeing computer scientists arguing political science and
(on a smaller scale) systems people arguing software verification and
AI.  The arguments they use are non-expert, and you can see that by
their lack of complexity.

This scares me.  If we do have any public or political influence as
computer scientists, let's make sure as we exercise our influence
that we label ourselves non-experts in every area where we are non-expert.
Such labeling has been conspicuously absent from discussion here.